Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Strome was already a bona fide NHLer before gelling with Panarin. Nieves was nothing of the sort so that suggestion was kind of on the wilder side.
Issue was never degree to which Nieves was established
On paper, a big pivot who skated and passed well, was a good possible fit as a facilitator for both Kreider, driver of play, and Zib, shooter-scorer

Strome only mentioned to illustrate sometimes you can be surprised.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Is there a new thread I don't see? Difficult to imagine that this close to camp instead of increase in the post frequency - there's actually a slowdown

Reactions: SA16

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Is there a new thread I don't see? Difficult to imagine that this close to camp instead of increase in the post frequency - there's actually a slowdown

There's a training camp/preseason thread (with speculation prefix).
Like GDTs, things like that need to be started/taken over by a mod so that they appear for everyone...

Reactions: CLW and SA16

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Zach Jones is a fine player. Unfortunately the Rangers cannot have half their d-core be the size of Fox/Lindgren/Jones. We’ve seen it in the playoffs time and time again. You need big bodies back there. No way to hide that many under sized guys in the post season.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Zach Jones is a fine player. Unfortunately the Rangers cannot have half their d-core be the size of Fox/Lindgren/Jones. We’ve seen it in the playoffs time and time again. You need big bodies back there. No way to hide that many under sized guys in the post season.

If Miller used his 64 frame and did not play like a marshmallow this would not be an issue. Schneider Trouba has size too.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Fans aren't this obsessed with height in f***ing BASKETBALL.
Height & weight objectively make a player harder to play against (apples to apples skill). That's just a fact. It matters more on defense than offense. A team can hide a small defensemen or 2, but not have half the core being that size. They would get abused and worn down(by the way - just like they were last playoffs). Big Dmen can punish opposing players and can absorb more abuse themselves. These are just the facts of a long and violent post season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Height & weight objectively make a player harder to play against (apples to apples skill). That's just a fact. It matters more on defense than offense. A team can hide a small defensemen or 2, but not have half the core being that size. They would get abused and worn down(by the way - just like they were last playoffs). Big Dmen can punish opposing players and can absorb more abuse themselves. These are just the facts of a long and violent post season.
Our defenseman didn't get worn down. They couldn't leave their own zone because they all suck except for Fox. And if they did get worn down, it was because of the former.

The Rangers weigh more than the Panthers and are taller than the Panthers.

NHL Team Biometrics: Average Age, Height, and Weight | leftwinglock.com

The Panthers, fun fact, aren't a big team!

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Here's what I know about Jones...last year Arizona tried to acquire him several times during the season (not just at the trade deadline) One of the AGMs told me they thought he could be a Top 4/PP2 with the right partner. They had the assets available to trade for him. He also mentioned St. Louis as a team that had interest in Jones.

Look, that in retrospect means nothing if the player can't perform but it is an indication that people around the league like the player. I've certainly seen glimpses. So has Drury. I'm sure the Rangers will let the first half of the season play out and see where things go.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Here's what I know about Jones...last year Arizona tried to acquire him several times during the season (not just at the trade deadline) One of the AGMs told me they thought he could be a Top 4/PP2 with the right partner. They had the assets available to trade for him. He also mentioned St. Louis as a team that had interest in Jones.

Look, that in retrospect means nothing if the player can't perform but it is an indication that people around the league like the player. I've certainly seen glimpses. So has Drury. I'm sure the Rangers will let the first half of the season play out and see where things go.
Does this imply that the Rangers like the player if they decided to keep him? I feel like he’s an ingredient for success in exactly the role you mentioned. If we insist on adding size it should be done at the expense of Lindgren and on the bottom pair.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Scroll down, on the bottom right, click “Show ignored content” and the thread shall appear.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Jacob Trouba says hello

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Ok now just show me size of Defense only...considering that's what I'm talking about.
Using the 6 from game 6 and their H/W from Hockey-reference:

- The Panthers D weighs 20 pounds more than the Rangers (1205lb to 1195lb)
- The average weight is 199.16 v 200.83
- Ekblad and Miller are tied for heaviest (215)
- Fox is lightest (182), Forsling is 2nd lightest at (186)
If you try to pair them up for comparison
Miller (215) v Ekblad (215)
Schneider (208) v Mikkola (209)
Trouba (203) v Kulikov (201)
Gus (197) v OEL (200)
Lindgren (190) v Montour (194)
Fox (182) v Forsling (186)

Pound for pound there really isn't anything between the two groups that would make me think the Rangers are undersized when it comes to D. Mindset, ability and game plan seem more telling.

Height wise (and I may have stuffed this up because feet/inches is bloody stupid):
- Panthers D average height is 6ft 1.5in v Rangers 6ft 1.3in
- Miller is the tallest D (6,5), Ekblad and Mikkola are 6,4
- Fox is the smallest (5,11), there are 4 D-men (2 for each team) at 6ft

Again, nothing splits these guys. the only real outlier from a body composition perspective is Fox (and even then, barely)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad