Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I don't see a good reason to dog a 22 year old who's still finding himself as a player.
It’s all in the context of the other options available. I don’t see any issue with people questioning the teams decision to prioritize rempe if they feel there are better alternatives for 4L

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Edström and one more player (let's say Othmann but it could be Berard, Sykora or even Erne) make big camp impressions, does anyone think the Rangers would entertain trading Vesey to somewhere like Utah [with 3 2nd rounders in 2026] ? I know depth is good to have. And Vesey checks most boxes, is a good road Warrior making small money. I think he would add a bit of necessary things on on that Arizona diaspora tribe too. But Drury might want to load up on draft capital for the deadline this year if he sees that there are ample, developing regular season solutions available in house. It would also mean the Rangers get pretty good value for a nondrafted player. A 3rd to Buffalo plus a 2nd from Utah. That's almost a late first rounder. I would just hope Vesrys wife is Ok with SLC and is not a medical student
Yeah Jimmy V is not a waste of space, but we are better off repurposing him into a future.
While there is an argument he can be emergency insurance not only for 4th line but also higher lines, we need to give those mins to youth. Stop sheltering w/vets.

Eds = pivot C
Rem = RW
would try Brodz at LW
keep do not dress what's his name [Carrick?] as insurance/depth for resting

In what world is Jimmy Vesey getting a second round pick in return?
alone, no
but could see Rs add a 3rd, they get a 2nd

=======================
Habs still want too much for Barron
would like to see what Helleson costs from Ducks
JV part of that package?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Edström and one more player (let's say Othmann but it could be Berard, Sykora or even Erne) make big camp impressions, does anyone think the Rangers would entertain trading Vesey to somewhere like Utah [with 3 2nd rounders in 2026] ? I know depth is good to have. And Vesey checks most boxes, is a good road Warrior making small money. I think he would add a bit of necessary things on on that Arizona diaspora tribe too. But Drury might want to load up on draft capital for the deadline this year if he sees that there are ample, developing regular season solutions available in house. It would also mean the Rangers get pretty good value for a nondrafted player. A 3rd to Buffalo plus a 2nd from Utah. That's almost a late first rounder. I would just hope Vesrys wife is Ok with SLC and is not a medical student

I like guys like Vesey and Brodzinski quite a lot. They're gamers and they fill their roles very well. That said they're also movable. I really don't think we'd get a 2nd rounder for Vesey though. I wouldn't want guys like Berard or Othmann becoming 4th line mainstays but if they show they're ready to push into a top 9 role then moving Kakko could make some sense bringing in a younger defender but he'd have to be a very good one. Chytil as well is a player who's often out of our lineup the last couple years so our prospects if they play well in camp and/or with the Pack have real shots at filling holes this year.

Speaking of Berard he seemed to be going full Brad Marchand against the Flyers rookies. Even if he got tossed I didn't mind seeing that side of him come out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Labanc gets tryout with Devils

Glad Rangers signed Erne instead. This team sure can’t scout at the pro level. Carrick 3 years at his cap hit, Nemeth, Glass in the past, Bonino, Jake Leschywhateverhisname 🤬

Rangers haven't signed Erne to a real contract. He's on a tryout and while on a tryout any NHL team can still sign him if he'll put his signature to paper.

Carrick is a gamer. A 4th liner who much like Brodzinski did a lot of time in the AHL and kept on keeping on. He sticks up for his teammates all the time. Will drop the gloves with guys above his weight class with hardly a second thought which is a unique trait these days. It's kind of the Adam Graves gene. He's a tough team oriented bugger. Also his contract won't hurt us if we were to send him to Hartford and I'm not sure why this doesn't sink in. His cap hit is not a problem at all.

Leschyshyn's cap doesn't hurt us either. He's pretty much an above average AHL player....something that every team has a bunch of. He's not someone I want up with the Rangers at all but he was only up for one game last year.

As far as Labanc--he's been struggling for years now. I wasn't interested in him and I wasn't particularly interested in Erne either. If I had to choose I'd take Erne as he fits my profile of what I'd want from a 4th liner better.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers haven't signed Erne to a real contract. He's on a tryout and while on a tryout any NHL team can still sign him if he'll put his signature to paper.

Carrick is a gamer. A 4th liner who much like Brodzinski did a lot of time in the AHL and kept on keeping on. He sticks up for his teammates all the time. Will drop the gloves with guys above his weight class with hardly a second thought which is a unique trait these days. It's kind of the Adam Graves gene. He's a tough team oriented bugger. Also his contract won't hurt us if we were to send him to Hartford and I'm not sure why this doesn't sink in. His cap hit is not a problem at all.

Leschyshyn's cap doesn't hurt us either. He's pretty much an above average AHL player....something that every team has a bunch of. He's not someone I want up with the Rangers at all but he was only up for one game last year.

As far as Labanc--he's been struggling for years now. I wasn't interested in him and I wasn't particularly interested in Erne either. If I had to choose I'd take Erne as he fits my profile of what I'd want from a 4th liner better.

The point was mainly the Rangers give horrible players overpaid contracts. They won’t sign Lafy to a 7 year long term extension but they dont have any issue overpaying an older NHL player Trouba, Nemeth, Kakko, Goodrow etc didnt pay Buchnevich and they could have tried harder to do so.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not worth it IMO - he’ll be asked to spend the same or more at TDL for this exact type of player.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The point was mainly the Rangers give horrible players overpaid contracts. They won’t sign Lafy to a 7 year long term extension but they dont have any issue overpaying an older NHL player Trouba, Nemeth, Kakko, Goodrow etc didnt pay Buchnevich and they could have tried harder to do so.
Your examples dont make sense here.

Laf has turned down a 7/8 year deal.
Kakko isn't an "older NHL player"
Goodrow and Trouba absolutely are overpays, but Trouba was 25 when we signed him. That almost a perfect age to sign a 7 year deal.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Vesey is not getting a 2nd rounder in this reality. Maybe in the multiverse where Sergei Zubov spent his career here and Kevin Mitchell's #7 is retired at Citi.

Have Vesey/Edstrom/Rempe all rotate makes the most sense.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Your examples dont make sense here.

Laf has turned down a 7/8 year deal.
Kakko isn't an "older NHL player"
Goodrow and Trouba absolutely are overpays, but Trouba was 25 when we signed him. That almost a perfect age to sign a 7 year deal.

I agree.

A lot of contracts start out well and end up not so well. I think Trouba is a case for that. Conversely Kreider signed a long term deal for what was a good number for what he was producing and then his production took off. So we're making out really well on that. Back to Trouba for a moment---if his ankle comes around okay he's probably a $4 to $5 mil value defenseman still. He has his better and not so good performances but the Rangers also tend to play him against better players and give him a lot of penalty kill time.

No one really has a crystal ball. Sometimes a veteran player doesn't fit in a place and doesn't do well and then goes to another place and does. Sometimes players underperform their contracts as they get older and towards the end of deals. To get a player often you pay the price at the front end in term and $'s and every team does it and every team has had players who underperformed their contracts particularly in the last couple years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Lafreniere signed the deal he's on coming off a 39 point season. He was making progress at that point just not as much as hoped. It takes two to make a deal. I think the Rangers would have been fine signing him to a 7 year deal last summer for less than $5 but he and his agent might not have been....but let's just say a $4.5 mil deal would have been a fair number for what he'd done until then for a term that long. Then alternatively it could be said it was in Alexis' own interest to sign the deal he did at that point in time for less money and term and now after breaking out last season he has a lot more leverage to ask for more when this deal expires. Again it takes two to make a deal---but the timing has to be right and some justification for the terms of the deal for both sides.

As far as bad contracts---look around. Every team in the league has a history of contracts that haven't worked out all that well. Also the more success a team has the harder it becomes to manage the cap because with success comes longer term and larger money deals because teams that are doing well have players that are doing well and want to be paid and teams will still have to fill holes and success almost always leads to burning through your prospects and draft picks (which if you hold on to them will be later in the round picks) to give your team a boost for the playoffs and it also means that when you don't have enough cap a team will have to cut bait sometimes which is why the Buchnevich deal.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I have my doubts the Rangers will move Trouba during the season. I think that moving Jacob is pretty likely going to happen next summer though. If they move D during the season it'll probably be either Lindgren and/or Jones.

I think the major reason the Rangers wanted to move Trouba to Detroit was to create more cap space for free agent targets when free agency opened up. When those targets disappeared they recommitted to him for this year but the Rangers are definitely going to need the cap space next summer. I think next summer there's about an 80% chance he's moved and around 90% he won't be a Ranger come 26-27.

Lindgren is a rental and his cap is too high for this year and he'll need a new contract and he'll want more money and he'll want term. He's got to go. We'd get some value back moving him at the trade deadline. That may or may not happen depending on finding a replacement but we're not giving him a big contract so I'm thinking 90% he won't be here for 25-26. He is the most likely to move first of all of them.

In the summer we heard the Rangers aren't convinced on Jones. So unless he does really well I think there's a pretty decent chance he moves on too. He's a slick puck mover. To me a sign will be whether they trust him enough to put him on the penalty kill or at least a bit. When that happens it tells me the coaching staff does trust him. I think he's about 50/50 to make it to 25-26.

Ruhwedel is also a temporary fix. Might last the season....might not.

When looking at Hartford's D---a young guy who could possibly push his way into the picture is Mancini. Harpur, Mackey and Fitzgerald all have NHL experience though.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Rangers had chances to trade Jones last year and they passed. I’m fairly sure the confidence they have expressed is real. We’ll see.

Many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised with Carrick. He has a lot of value for the price. I had IDed him at the 2023 trade deadline as a possible acquisition. Value for the dollar.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers had chances to trade Jones last year and they passed. I’m fairly sure the confidence they have expressed is real. We’ll see.
Agree re Jones. Drury could’ve hedged on Jones and bring some lefty defenseman but hasn’t done that, and so unlike any prior season this time Jones comes in as a full fledged part of the top-6 group.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vesey is not getting a 2nd rounder in this reality. Maybe in the multiverse where Sergei Zubov spent his career here and Kevin Mitchell's #7 is retired at Citi.

Have Vesey/Edstrom/Rempe all rotate makes the most sense.
trade Vesey
run Eds + Rem
Brods + Car are enuf depth, can emergency reserve call up somone if nec

No one gives a shit.
So says your hostile, biased, uninformed, and apparently constipated sorry ass
Give yourself a mental enema
it's overdue

Go take a lap dude, no need to be this rude about such a benign comment
thanks and concur

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Agree re Jones. Drury could’ve hedged on Jones and bring some lefty defenseman but hasn’t done that, and so unlike any prior season this time Jones comes in as a full fledged part of the top-6 group.
Are we confident he's part of the top 6? I mean, I would hope so, but NYR mgmt views don't always align with mine.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Are we confident he's part of the top 6? I mean, I would hope so, but NYR mgmt views don't always align with mine.
No, I don't think anybody is fully confident he will be the full-time #6. I mean after all, we still have Ben Harpur. :sarcasm:

But jokes aside, I think somebody will really have to impress to take his spot, which then might push him into a rotating 6/7th dman.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I think Jones with Trouba will work for now. He can create while Trouba stays back. He’ll only get better with consistent ice time. Would like to see him get some exhibition reps with Mancini. Could be a good, mobile pair for 25-26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad