Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's not something we're particularly bad at, especially considering how relatively little we have the puck for a team competing at the level we were competing at.

View attachment 906394

We scored more goals from home plate than Florida did, and just as many in the slot. That's factoring in that they 1) outscored us! and 2) had the puck two-thirds of the series.

They scored six goals from past the dots. Those are turnovers more often than not.

They need to move the puck better on the backend, but small and light defenses don't win Stanley Cups. We also have too many forwards who would rather fly the zone than backcheck.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's not something we're particularly bad at, especially considering how relatively little we have the puck for a team competing at the level we were competing at.

View attachment 906394

We scored more goals from home plate than Florida did, and just as many in the slot. That's factoring in that they 1) outscored us! and 2) had the puck two-thirds of the series.

They scored six goals from past the dots. Those are turnovers more often than not.

Yup.

For all of FLA's zone time, they didn't do a ton with it in terms of actual goals scored.

Almost everything they scored at ES came off the rush or on a reload play which is basically a rush with less ice to cover. I'm pretty certain that every single goal they scored from game 4 onwards at ES was one or the other.

What leads to these goals?

Poor puck management up ice and the inability to properly get the puck in a safe place when you actually do clear the DZ (and I'm not going to pin all of this on the D, our forwards don't do a good job of it either but up tick of competence from the D in this area would make more than a bit of difference.)

The areas where this D gets crucified for being bad are... actually their greatest strengths and our weakest players here are the ones who have the reputation as the tough crease clearing grit guys (at least last year.)

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yup.

For all of FLA's zone time, they didn't do a ton with it in terms of actual goals scored.

Almost everything they scored at ES came off the rush or on a reload play which is basically a rush with less ice to cover. I'm pretty certain that every single goal they scored from game 4 onwards at ES was one or the other.

What leads to these goals?

Poor puck management up ice and the inability to properly get the puck in a safe place when you actually do clear the DZ (and I'm not going to pin all of this on the D, our forwards don't do a good job of it either but up tick of competence from the D in this area would make more than a bit of difference.)

The areas where this D gets crucified for being bad are... actually their greatest strengths and our weakest players here are the ones who have the reputation as the tough crease clearing grit guys (at least last year.)
And a number of their goals that were from right in front were complete breakdowns. It's not like they were just living in front.

The only guy in that series who scored goals just living in front of the net played for the Rangers (he was wearing 13).

Matter of fact, one of Florida's home plate goals came off the stick of Lafreniere lol.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Robertson f***ing stinks, what are we even doing here

they were rumored to not even want to offer him another contract

Jones is the guy, the Rangers have no other NHL defensive prospects at this point

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

View attachment 906394

It's because the goals that go in when we don't defend the front of the net are such brain fart, no coverage plays, the narrative becomes "we don't cover the front of the net" because fans just remember the very bad plays that stick out.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
no thanks
no wasting mins best for youth on vets esp over the hill ones

ok I complained about idiot bastards assaulting us w/nonsense, like giving Kakko away, etc.

Here is a guy who need to be applauded, at least on this one...

I mean we'd be replacing brodzinski not Berard or Othmann. We got guys that can come up if it's a 4th liner we need, Kessel if he spent the season mainly getting in shape for playoffs would be like a deadline acquisition we had all year. I know he's older, but he can skate,shoot and make plays. If Kreider and Zib are supposedly defensive forwards he'd be a perfect compliment there if we had an injury, or anywhere in the top 9. As it is was last year when someone got hurt we got a 4th line or Ahl replacement player. Having a cup winner like Phil around to either round out the top 9 or fill in for injuries is better than Erne or Brodzinski forcing someone into the top 6 that can't handle it. There will be injuries, the 4th line is easily replaced, the top 6 or 9 isn't.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't watch Othmann without seeing JT Miller, they are essentially the same player imo. Hopefully we can unlock Othmann quicker than Miller got unlocked.
Othmann is arguably a top 10 player in the league? I certainly don't see that.

JT Miller has all-world skill and is on the shortlist of best passers in hockey. Othmann has a decent shot.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Othmann isn’t even the best prospect forward in Hartford so I certainly don’t see the upside there others have

The Rangers are so bare for high end prospects that people have talked themselves into these guys being better than they realistically will be.

I see Othmann as maybe a middle 6 tweener who can score 25-30 points. Comparing him to the likes of JT Miller is just setting him up for disappointment

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Othmann isn’t even the best prospect forward in Hartford so I certainly don’t see the upside there others have

The Rangers are so bare for high end prospects that people have talked themselves into these guys being better than they realistically will be.

I see Othmann as maybe a middle 6 tweener who can score 25-30 points. Comparing him to the likes of JT Miller is just setting him up for disappointment
He has some TJ Oshie to me. Mid 50s pt. winger with some wintangibles stuff.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Forsling and Montour are small and light.

Montour is listed at 6' 200 and Forsling at 6'0 195. That's kind of on the small side these days but it's not 5-10/11 170/180 lbs. Montour can also play with a lot of snarl. Jones comes to camp every time between 170 and 175 lbs. and he is just not as good or as experienced a player as either of those two who have each put together multiple seasons of very good top 4 play.

If Zac is going to turn the corner he also needs to become an all situations player. He's got good enough skill that he can do some power play. He needs to help out on the penalty kill. If Laviolette won't play him on the pk then he's sheltering him a bit which tells me he doesn't trust him in tougher situations. So that will be a key this year for Zac. If he can do that and he'll need to do it pretty well it will drive his minutes up and then he'll be on his way. I think I mentioned this last year about him.

Reactions: McRanger92

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

View attachment 906394

How was your summer?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mean we'd be replacing brodzinski not Berard or Othmann. We got guys that can come up if it's a 4th liner we need, Kessel if he spent the season mainly getting in shape for playoffs would be like a deadline acquisition we had all year. I know he's older, but he can skate,shoot and make plays. If Kreider and Zib are supposedly defensive forwards he'd be a perfect compliment there if we had an injury, or anywhere in the top 9. As it is was last year when someone got hurt we got a 4th line or Ahl replacement player. Having a cup winner like Phil around to either round out the top 9 or fill in for injuries is better than Erne or Brodzinski forcing someone into the top 6 that can't handle it. There will be injuries, the 4th line is easily replaced, the top 6 or 9 isn't.
bold = fair clarification
but prefer younger Brodz, likely mo energy, better skating, etc everything better except shoot.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Forsling and Montour are small and light.

some people just want to constantly beat the same drum all the time despite being proven wrong over and over and over. I dunno how anyone can watch the Florida series and think we need to get bigger and slower defensemen. Florida's D were almost all small puck movers except for the guys who suck (Mikkola, Kulikov) and they won the cup.

How many goals have gone in on Igor due to an eclipse from Troubas ass cheeks in the name of “crease clearing”

Also Jones has some promising defensive stats: opponents carry the puck in on him successfully 42% of the time, top 10 in the NHL. Also top 5 in takeaways/60, 2nd overall in takeaway/giveaway ratio.

Jones is way better defensively than people give him credit for. they just see "he isn't 6'4 230" and think he's bad at it.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad