Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Drury has done a pretty good job of building the AHL team to be a team that works hard and is a PIA to play against. Even the young players they have been drafting play a similar style. Erne, even if he plays 0 NHL games, would be a player in that Anton Blidh ilk. It's not 'sexy' but building a successful team with that mentality is important
This is a key aspect that gets missed alot....always need those "fringe" NHLers/vets to guide AHL team and be a role model for prospects, as well as have a competitive team.

No good stranding prospects in a losing AHL environment. Detrimental to growth and development

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Thank you for your cooperation.

See you in a week (or so)

Drury has done a pretty good job of building the AHL team to be a team that works hard and is a PIA to play against. Even the young players they have been drafting play a similar style. Erne, even if he plays 0 NHL games, would be a player in that Anton Blidh ilk. It's not 'sexy' but building a successful team with that mentality is important

Good. He can be GM of the Wolfpack. We need a real GM who doesn't blow chunks.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Trouba is one of the first photos the Rangers posted from the informal practice today. Where have all of the Trouba threads gone. Going to be interesting to see how the fans treat him this year.

“Those aren’t boos, Sam. Those are Trou’s!! T as in tango, r as in Romeo, O as in Oscar, and U as in Uranus.”

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And how much did he contribute to that, Viper? Pray tell, aside from signing Trocheck and Quick, what exactly has he done? 90% of the roster is comprised of Gorton/JD players.

The argument isn't is he a good GM, which I think the jury is still out on, it's that he doesn't 'blow chunks'. I mean this isn't Bob Gainey level or Lou Lamoreiello on The Island level. We all want things to happen to improve, but I wouldn't say he has exactly 'blown chunks'.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Erne isn't an easy guy to go up against. He plays pretty damned hard. He's well built---he hits...he'll fight. I think he's a bit better player than Blidh is---but in general Blidh is an apt comparable. Erne way more likely to fight too.

As far as scoresheet contributions he didn't do much last year but in previous seasons he's been a guy who's chipped in here and there. You'd not get a lot--you'd get some. When we're talking about a 4th liner though---point production is not necessarily a thing that you look for. Hard forecheck, good play away from the puck, help out on the pk----just being responsible and hard to play against. 4th lines rarely produce a lot of offense....even on the best teams.

I'll reiterate though I think the Rangers have plenty of young guys that should compete for roster spots and even if we sign Erne my expectations would be that he'd spend most if not all season in the AHL.

Reactions: leetch99

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
The argument isn't is he a good GM, which I think the jury is still out on, it's that he doesn't 'blow chunks'. I mean this isn't Bob Gainey level or Lou Lamoreiello on The Island level. We all want things to happen to improve, but I wouldn't say he has exactly 'blown chunks'.

How about feckless? Is that better?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Seriously. With the roster we have, alot of GM's would've come in and attempted to really "put their own stamp" on things. They could've done good things (moving vk when he still had value), they could've done terrible things (moving laf when he had mid value).
Drury hasn't made big moves, because we're not a bad team (despite what this board says)

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
How about some defensive depth? Got plenty of forwards who can jump in on the bottom 6 but if we lose one or two dmen we're in trouble

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
How about some defensive depth? Got plenty of forwards who can jump in on the bottom 6 but if we lose one or two dmen we're in trouble
Your level of negativity isn't appreciated.

We're in trouble with our current dmen even before injuries.

That's the level of negativity that is acceptable around here.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
I'm picturing Johnny Brodzinski jumping up and down waiving his hands at everyone posting in this thread.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This season is probably one of the least exciting unless Kakko turns into Forsberg. Rempe can only disappoint from here on out and our vets are officially more or less over the hill. Laf broke out already, Igor is a stud and his contract is going to kill us. It's pretty much the beginning of some kind of finality. Just depends on if Drury has a pivot toward something respectable.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
This season is probably one of the least exciting unless Kakko turns into Forsberg. Rempe can only disappoint from here on out and our vets are officially more or less over the hill. Laf broke out already, Igor is a stud and his contract is going to kill us. It's pretty much the beginning of some kind of finality. Just depends on if Drury has a pivot toward something respectable.
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Depends how the org and coaching see KAM and Schneider. If KAM is your future top-pairing guy, give him some games with Fox in pre-season. I wouldn't mind Lindgren with Schneider. I think Schneider is capable of more offense...McDonagh-lite. Lindgren would be the Girardi-lite for that pairing.

If Jones is being given the chance to prove he can stick, getting Trouba to play a defensive game and stay back would let him simplify his game. He looked a lot better with KAM when he was the defensive guy on that pairing.

Get last year out of memory and move forward.

Too bad this isn't my GM mode of NHL 24 where Arizona was desperate to dump Keller for vets, Carolina needed to offload Necas for cap reasons as he was entering his prime, and I got Forsling in my expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad