Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers bringing in Adam Erne on a PTO. Valliquette mentioned him as a trade candidate a couple season back. Another veteran body for the 4th line. Fits our needs more than a guy like JVR imo.
I thought all confirmed stuff needs a link as proof.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fanatics is ass but ngl those white practice jerseys are kind of fire.

How do you remember what I brought up like 2 years ago! I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. It's impressive...

I like Erne, he's a bit of a shit-stirrer and sparkplug. Offensively he's not devoid of talent and he doesn't shy away from contact but defensively, he's never really taken that next step.

Hahaha there are a few people you've really banged the drum for, he was one of them.

Erne to me is Bennett if Bennett never became any good.

Reactions: NYR Viper

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
If Erne is getting a PTO,is Bert soon to follow??? I'll see myself out.....
IMG_1236.gif

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Excited to see if Smith can regain his form from Vegas and stabilize some 5v5 scoring for the Kreider-Zibanejad duo....sad that we need a RW to do that for two of our "top" scorers, but it's our reality.

I think this team would be far better off if Kakko could take a Lafreniere sized leap, putting Smith on 3rd line with Cuylle and Chytil ... but we've been waiting for that for years so I'm not holding my breath. But Kakko making that jump would be huge for depth.

I'm cautiously optimistic. We return same roster as President's Trophy team (not counting deadline rentals), only losing Gustafsson, but replacing him with Jones. Unlikely Fox sustains another long term injury, unlikely Shesty goes through slump like he did last year ... think we can have another very successful Reg Szn giving us favorable playoff positioning for Rd 1 once again.

That said, massive Q mark is Chytils health, as 3C becomes another large issue once again if he is out at any point.

Excited to see if Berard or Othmann grab a spot, but don't think either would be poorly served by another AHL season. Top 9 is somewhat jammed, but could see both Kakko (barring unlikely breakout) and Smith being gone next year opening up spots. Don't want Othmann playign 4L mins, but Berard could fit there.

And as always, playoffs is all that matters for this core.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Nobody cant get those 2 to do anything at ES. Can't imagine Smith will be that guy.
I could be wrong...but I believe I saw a chart that said Smith (prior to PIT) is likely the best 5v5 player they've had on their wing since Buch (no need to rehash what a collosal misstep trading him was). of course, hockey is played on the ice and a chart is just a chart...but encouraging nonetheless

Not to slight Kakko, who is good in 5v5 metrics defensively, but Smith also has higher current offensive value that Kakko ever did playing with them.

I agree, those 2 have given us no prior reason to get hopes up....but I don't want to spend all season miserable waiting for playoffs so I'm going in with an optimistic look.

Hopefully a full season of Trouba on 3rd pair with his extra minutes coming from PK with help our 5v5 metrics too....Jones can hopefully do most of the transition work for him and he should see less mins with top 6 in that role.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhamill

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The obvious needs to happen, split Mika and kreider. Create 3 scoring lines, more offense
I would probably run Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere and Panarin-Chytil-Smith.

I would put Zibanejad in between whatever combination of Othmann, Berard, Cuylle, and Kakko sticks in the top 9.

Reactions: UnSandvich

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yes, but saying we need to improve 5v5 is like saying "get better at hockey."

It's a complex task.
Panarin-Troch-Laf carries play if I'm correct.

I feel like Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko has potential to carry alot of play, and a full healthy season of Chytil (tall task) should give them some scoring....a step forward from Kakko back towards 40 pts would help too.

The hope for me is Smith (if memory serves was a good 5v5 guy in Vegas) can give Kreider-Zibanejad that lift they need ... since it's very clear they won't be split up.

Somewhat worried about a 4th line consisting of Carrick and Rempe....not sure Vesey can do all the lifting for them. Interested to see the work Rempe put in this summer to see if he can hold more value.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I feel like Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko has potential to carry alot of play, and a full healthy season of Chytil (tall task) should give them some scoring....a step forward from Kakko back towards 40 pts would help too.

The hope for me is Smith (if memory serves was a good 5v5 guy in Vegas) can give Kreider-Zibanejad that lift they need ... since it's very clear they won't be split up.

Somewhat worried about a 4th line consisting of Carrick and Rempe....not sure Vesey can do all the lifting for them. Interested to see the work Rempe put in this summer to see if he can hold more value.
Im not concerned about Rempe there. He’s playing 15 games barring injury.

I think sykora makes that spot

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We do have the one good line.

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko will score once every 69 games but yeah, they should be abe to go out there and not get killed.

The Kreider-Zibanejad combo scores and should be a plus in goals. They do that pretty much regardless of who their RW is. I do think we really need to stop hard-matching them in the playoffs because they get absolutely killed by elite competition.

Overall, I don't think the forward corps is terrible, and you could usage/combo away some of the problems if you got creative (they won't tho!)

Our defense corps is a bigger issue. There's absolutely nothing you can do to paper over it.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
We do have the one good line.

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko will score once every 69 games but yeah, they should be abe to go out there and not get killed.

The Kreider-Zibanejad combo scores and should be a plus in goals. They do that pretty much regardless of who their RW is. I do think we really need to stop hard-matching them in the playoffs because they get absolutely killed by elite competition.

Overall, I don't think the forward corps is terrible, and you could usage/combo away some of the problems if you got creative (they won't tho!)

Our defense corps is a bigger issue. There's absolutely nothing you can do to paper over it.
Agreed on the 3rd line....Chytil will have to A) stay healthy and B) do most of the finishing which is not ideal.

As any team/fanbase does, hoping a full season of Miller-Schneider helps Schneiders ability to move pucks out of our end...thats been a sore spot for him, despite my eye test saying he is definitely more capable at possession/skating zone exits and transition as opposed to puck moving.

Sheltering Trouba, and giving him a more capable skater/mover in Jones hopefully helps. Gus was good when he stepped up for Foxy.... but his high flips from our end drove me absolutely insane with the havoc they caused on our transition and NZ play. Jones is a more capable skater/puck mover than he which hopefully can mitigate the damage Troubs does.

Need a rebound from Lindy badly.

But yeah, agreed that I think our F group is more than capable in reg szn, playoffs are the concern for Panarin/Zibanejad. Our D certainly needs alot to go right/improve this season to not be a massive hinderance once again.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Erne will have his work cut out making the Rangers I think. He's a pretty stocky guy who likes to play physical but to me he's probably not going to be good enough to block a number of young prospects who are pretty close as it is. More likely if the Rangers give him a contract I think he'll spend most if not all of the year in Hartford.

Reactions: bernmeister

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I am hoping Erne is more of a body for camp/an empty threat to push rookies with his "vet" status.....Not sure how much faith the Rangers deserve in that regard with benefit of doubt, but like I've said, I'm going into this season with cautious optimism as I don't want to be miserable until May/June.

I'd be shocked if Erne plays games for us this year.

Would say opening night 4L is Vesey-Carrick-Rempe, but would have to think Edstrom/Sykora/Berard all get looks before Erne did....Lavi has showed a willingness to give young players every opportunity to make names and carve roles for themselves

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I could be wrong...but I believe I saw a chart that said Smith (prior to PIT) is likely the best 5v5 player they've had on their wing since Buch (no need to rehash what a collosal misstep trading him was). of course, hockey is played on the ice and a chart is just a chart...but encouraging nonetheless

Not to slight Kakko, who is good in 5v5 metrics defensively, but Smith also has higher current offensive value that Kakko ever did playing with them.

I agree, those 2 have given us no prior reason to get hopes up....but I don't want to spend all season miserable waiting for playoffs so I'm going in with an optimistic look.

Hopefully a full season of Trouba on 3rd pair with his extra minutes coming from PK with help our 5v5 metrics too....Jones can hopefully do most of the transition work for him and he should see less mins with top 6 in that role.
I don't think you're going to find a player to help those two.

Kreider hangs out in front of the net, Zib likes to skate back and fourth in the slot. Whoever is their winger is tasked with puck retrieval... but is always double teamed as there is no reason to cover both Kreider and Mika if puck possession isn't decided.

It just doesn't work.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yep. And how much was our goalie making? Just trying to help out the slow ones here.
100%...the major difference between our team and the two teams we lost to in conf finals was 5v5 play, and star players performing to the name and price tag.

Zibanejad/Panarin, and to a lesser extent Kreider and Fox are where this team rides and dies. Kreider with his G6 hatty gets a bit of a break, and Fox w his injury.

But if whoever the Point/Kuch or Tkachuk/Barkov of the next conf finals (assuming we get there) outperforms Zibanejad/Panarin......likely we suffer same fate

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Drury has done a pretty good job of building the AHL team to be a team that works hard and is a PIA to play against. Even the young players they have been drafting play a similar style. Erne, even if he plays 0 NHL games, would be a player in that Anton Blidh ilk. It's not 'sexy' but building a successful team with that mentality is important

Reactions: kinger8998

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad