Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
I don't even think physicality is the issue.

They showed in the playoffs that they are a pretty physical team.

They need to do a better job of grinding down their opponents in a series. They need to spend a lot more time in the offensive zone with control of the puck. This isn't the 2011-2012 team that could just block every shot and play defense the entire game.

I don't like the Kreider and Zib line because the two of them together just try to cherry pick rushes. We saw it all of last season. It's fine when teams are playing 3 or 4 different teams a week and you can surprise them... but in a long series... it just doesn't work. We've seen that for a few years now.

Separate them at 5v5 (I think their style works great on the PK).
You nailed it. The physicality needed to grind down opponents, the Rangers have not figured this part out just yet. It also doesn’t help that Mika, Bread and to extent Kreider don’t play this brand of hockey. It hurts come playoff time.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Edstrom but watch it be Carrick. I’d like to see Rempe get more looks at center
f-irst-half-american-football.gif

Attachments

• f-irst-half-american-football.gif
    f-irst-half-american-football.gif
    208.9 KB · Views: 2

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The thing is, a hit can be both "clean" by the books, and also an obvious attempt to put a guy in an iron lung.

Trouba is the current authority on these types of hits.
Almost everyone, Trouba included, lets up on pretty much every hit. it's why it stands out so bad when they suddenly don't.

I can think of a few people (clutterbuck, that popisil kid in cgy) who are scores worse than Trouba. Those guys try to hurt people.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Almost everyone, Trouba included, lets up on pretty much every hit. it's why it stands out so bad when they suddenly don't.

I can think of a few people (clutterbuck, that popisil kid in cgy) who are scores worse than Trouba. Those guys try to hurt people.
So does Trouba. He's laid into guys full force on multiple occasions. It's a weird thing to deny.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So does Trouba. He's laid into guys full force on multiple occasions. It's a weird thing to deny.
I think the difference is Trouba has never had a controversial hit from behind.
Trouba’s hits are almost entirely head on collisions.

You can’t really let up on those hits or you just whiff.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Yes, but saying we need to improve 5v5 is like saying "get better at hockey."

It's a complex task.

Its not really that complex, we have a personnel problem on defense. We basically have at least one bad D man on every pair. The solution shouldn't be that complex either I just don't think the team is in a rush to fix it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Its not really that complex, we have a personnel problem on defense. We basically have at least one bad D man on every pair. The solution shouldn't be that complex either I just don't think the team is in a rush to fix it.
You're right that they don't seem to be in a rush to fix it, and that is absolutely a problem, but also, overhauling your defense is not easy.

Granted, if they tried and it didn't work because there's too many moving parts, I'd feel better. They're not going to try because they don't see the problem.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You're right that they don't seem to be in a rush to fix it, and that is absolutely a problem, but also, overhauling your defense is not easy.

Granted, if they tried and it didn't work because there's too many moving parts, I'd feel better. They're not going to try because they don't see the problem.

Eh, I would say the fact that Drury gave Lindgren a 1 year deal and was trying to trade Trouba says that they know they can improve back there. But once the Trouba thing didn't happen and the July 1st bonanza went absolutely bat-shit crazy this year with contracts, I can see the natural path of saying, well we won the Presidents trophy last year, sometimes nothing is better than something

Reactions: kovazub94

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Side note.... having your profile pic be Rafael and not Leonardo is really messing with me...

Do Not Like.

Feels like bizzarro world.

Thank you. Was waiting for someone to say something. lol.

1. we all God's children
2. Leo was the defin Renaissance man
3. Howev, Raph is a fricin ARCHANGEL!

Until the Rangers become a much more physical team, they will max out at the ECF unless Igor goes into Hank mode. That hasn’t happened yet. Also, need to improve the transition on defense, as well as dirty areas and stronger board play. Until then, ECF is the max.
they need to be more physical regardless, both in body and mind [to the extent they are aware of what they are doing to exert will, consciously dominate, esp]

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
So are we all basically swallowing the blackpill at this point in regards to this roster going into the season? It seems unlikely a move is made before game 1.

Also NHL Net radio last week mentioned Rempe was the talk of the town among the rookie showcases, don't know if anyone else heard that from Boomer. Hopefully that means he will be an NHL player this year and not a sideshow freak.

It means NYR mgmt wants him to continue being a topic of discussion .... I guess some of the fan base like it.

Last edited:

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't even think physicality is the issue.

They showed in the playoffs that they are a pretty physical team.

They need to do a better job of grinding down their opponents in a series. They need to spend a lot more time in the offensive zone with control of the puck. This isn't the 2011-2012 team that could just block every shot and play defense the entire game.
Yeah. I don't think it's exactly physicality either. If it's physicality that leads to more useful puck possession, that's all to the good. But what they really need to do is play better hockey. I have my doubts whether that will happen w Trouba & Lingren still getting big ice time. We'll see.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You could make the argument (I'm not necessarily making it, but it's there) that Igor has been better in the playoffs than Hank was. At the very least, he's been as good.

The league was much, much lower scoring when Hank was in goal.

Our goaltending isn't going to get any better, nor should we expect it to.

Igor has also had better teams in front of him than Hank ever did.

Still, the inability to score deep in the dance seems to remain consistent.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
They either need to fix the defense so they can deal with playing in their own zone for a significant portion of the game. Or get Kreider and Zib to play in the offensive zone more.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Igor has also had better teams in front of him than Hank ever did.

Still, the inability to score deep in the dance seems to remain consistent.
I think this is also a function of the league just being higher-scoring.

On paper, yeah, the talent is better. However, when you look at the bottom line, the 2022-2024 Rangers are 11th in scoring over that time. From 2012-2015, they were 11th in scoring.

I think the one factor that stands out offensively is Panarin. Are Kreider, Trocheck, and Zibanejad outscoring Richards, Brassard, and Nash in the scoring environment from a decade ago? Probably not.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
My frustration will be palpable every time we lose to a playoff opponent with a goalie making 5 mil or less and Shesty is sitting pretty eating 10%+ of our cap

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah. I don't think it's exactly physicality either. If it's physicality that leads to more useful puck possession, that's all to the good. But what they really need to do is play better hockey. I have my doubts whether that will happen w Trouba & Lingren still getting big ice time. We'll see.
I think the bigger issue is fans associate physical with a player bringing a big time physical presence and knocking other players down. Physical is the sense of puck separation I think better describes the area the team is weak on. The team isn't the best when it comes to back checking and riding players off the puck into the boards, or just creating some separation from player and puck. We don't ever seem to be strong on our skates and strong on our sticks. Maybe you can chalk it up to 5 on 5 play because it's hard to ride a player off into the boards when you allow the middle of the rink to be used so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad