Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If the Rangers lose Brodzinski on waivers their center depth is complete shit. Like horrendous. Let’s play this out. Brodzinski is waived and gets claimed by SJ. Chytil gets hurt in game 10 and misses significant time. Who is playing 3C? BMB? Carrick? Jake L? Those are the freaking options guys without Brodzinski

They would make a trade, even if not immediately. They already showed last year they didn’t think Brodzinski was capable of playing 3C long term. I doubt he gets waived this time around since he spent almost all last year in the NHL but I wouldn’t be too concerned if he did he’s been waived and unclaimed like 6 times the last 2 years and nothing has changed since then.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I mean Trouba has already said it’s this cores last shot.
He’s gone unless he somehow has a career renaissance, but even then we still flip him for a younger player, we just get more back.

Think Jacob was overstating things a bit. His is the most overvalued contract on the team. His term ending also is coming up quick. I don't think he should be speaking for whatever Drury has in mind doing anymore than Larry Brooks trying to arrange hockey trades. If we're talking about the core in any case we should be clear about exactly who. If it's the vets---Lindgren's going too. Kreider---I don't think so. He's been more than doing justice to the $6.5 he's been getting. Mika--even if he has another subpar year has too much term left to his $8.5 mil per contract so that he'll be really, really hard to move. Panarin got 120 points last year. He only has 2 years left as well but I don't see him moving and I don't see Trocheck moving either----again he's more than earning his deal.

So the vets that who will be moving on that are making any kind of real money are Trouba and Lindgren.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
What's the difference if he doesn't? It's not like he's the difference between a cup and no cup. Can anyways find someone to play on the 4th line.
He’s a useful experienced NHL player. He had 19 points in 57 games last year. That’s a useful 4th line player who can slot in all over the lineup when needed.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
If Brooks wasn't imagining things, I like the PP units they had at practice. I have always liked the idea of just playing your top 2 lines but with a supplement in there.

Kreider-Z-Smith
Chytil-Fox

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Othmann-Jones

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Brooks wasn't imagining things, I like the PP units they had at practice. I have always liked the idea of just playing your top 2 lines but with a supplement in there.

Kreider-Z-Smith
Chytil-Fox

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Othmann-Jones

and now you’re giving Reilly smith, a player who has been poor on the PP for basically his entire career, the same amount of pp time as Panarin.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I really like Mancini but it’s asking an awful lot of him to have him playing his offside with Fox.

The fact that Miller-Trouba is locked in really bums me out. The Lindgren injury is presenting a great opportunity to balance and optimize the defenseman we have:

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Mancini-Schneider

This defense needs an upgrade in the worst way.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
A few takeaways so far

- Obviously the top half of the roster is essentially set. Of the guys battling for the bottom half the kids have impressed me the most. I like what Othmann has shown.. the physicality, the shot, we need a skill guy that's a pain in the ass to play against. The next few preseason games I'd like to see him next to Chytil and Kakko. If he can stick, Cuylle drops to the 4th line. Too many options for that line, where do you put all these guys? Edström I've liked the most of the bottom liners. Rempe's a wild card, I kinda like him over Vesey, Carrick, etc.. but they want those guys for the PK and someone needs to play center. It's too bad they haven't used Edström more in that role.

- I know it's preseason but Chytil looks as dynamic as any forward on the team. That 3rd line is an X-factor, if they can stay healthy they should feast on easier matchups

- 2 years ago Välimäki fell into Arizona's lap off waivers.. a couple years before that it was Gustav Forsling in Florida... maybe we get lucky this year and find something on the waiver wire in Lindgren's absence

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
- 2 years ago Välimäki fell into Arizona's lap off waivers.. a couple years before that it was Gustav Forsling in Florida... maybe we get lucky this year and find something on the waiver wire in Lindgren's absence
Just picking up capable Dmen isn't going to help, you actually need to utilize them properly...

Jack Johnson became a cup winning 6th Dman in Colorado. Mikkola became a cup winning 6th(if not even better?) dman in Florida. Those guys didn't impress with us, but found their spots with other teams.

If we can't even find the proper spot for Trouba, how are we going to find one of those guys and fit them in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad