Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I must have missed the Crosby-led Penguins and the Bergeron-led Bruins have a better campaign than us, last season. Do you know where I can find that footage? After all, it’s a slam dunk to find money ball players growing on trees who win you championships. It’s easy-peasy.

Just sign up some more laser-focused Roslovics and Wennbergs and we’re all set.
This is not a real response to what I said. It’s not unreasonable to say, based on how the negotiations are being reported, that Igor’s primary focus is maxing his wealth and his secondary focus is on winning a cup. If his primary focus was winning, he would sacrifice a little to build a better team. There are plenty of examples of team-friendly deals being signed around the league that still compensate the player fairly.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Most teams have 2 or 3 (3 if your toronto) of those big contracts on their team. That seems to work, as long as they are all skaters. (Debateable for 3, but the cap is going up this decade i hear)

However, I think you can only have 1 of those types of contracts if you have it be a goalie. So, what i mean is that if they sign him, they have to get rid of trouba and panarin. Sign Laf and Igor and then not go huge on any other contracts no matter who it is.

Eh, I don't know. I'm not a capconomist.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Crazy Igor turned down $88M
I'm just imagining him getting slightly more but he has to play somewhere like Calgary + paying that Canadian tax. Maybe Seattle with no state tax? Looking at other no-tax states... Nashville, Dallas, Tampa, Florida all have their goalie situations well in place. Vegas doesn't have cap but they've pulled off cap gymnastics before. Maybe Vegas will do it again and fit Igor under cap.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People should be praying to the lord above that the reports of him wanting a shorter term deal are false.

If he really wants a shorter deal, the AAV is gonna be even higher than 12 million

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
2+2 doesn’t equal 3. It equals 4. But so does 1+3, 1.5+2.5, etc.

I doubt K’Andre Miller is crying at night with the thought that Igor might make some scrilla, is he an avowed Stalinist or something? The only Leon he knows of is Draisaitl not Trotsky. He understands how the business of hockey or life works.
Didn’t say he’s crying but again it’s a zero sum game which means more for one is less for another and they know it.

It’s overly simplistic to say “the players are behind Shesterkin and hope he gets every penny he can.” Assuredly that is not the only thought going through their heads just like with us.

Thats what they say in interviews. It’s a lie.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Has anyone looked into next summer’s UFA situation and figured out who could potentially be willing/able to give Igor more than this? Does he even have other options?

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Put the entire Ranger franchise and it's fan base in a mini skirt.

Igor is behind you and has his right hand between your shoulder blade and it pushing hard.

More after 10 pm.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Igor let in soft goals during the playoffs. Hes not the best goalie in the league, hes a contender but far from bullet proof. 11 mil/yr is more than his fair value. Look how far the Oilers got w a goalie that wasnt even that good. This might be a blessing in disguise def dont up the offer. The Rangers need cap space and this will hand cuff the team (if they go higher).
The Oilers got Draisaitl and McDavid and the west sucks ass.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People should be praying to the lord above that the reports of him wanting a shorter term deal are false.

If he really wants a shorter deal, the AAV is gonna be even higher than 12 million
I don't think you sign him then. Call his bluff. Who's gonna give him that in free agency? No team in this league is gonna jump on giving him 12-13 mill for a couple of years. Every single team wants to sign guys long term to lock in the contract value as the cap rises as well as get that certainty that you don't have to go through this all again in a few years.

Part of me is fine with Igor trying to chase down all the money he can but a bigger part of me says you don't go down that path of paying him whatever he wants ESPECIALLY if it's a shorter term deal

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't think you sign him then. Call his bluff. Who's gonna give him that in free agency? No team in this league is gonna jump on giving him 12-13 mill for a couple of years.
I could see the Blackhawks managing to pay him. Trust that the cap will jump and they’ve got enough youth to really push next year while bedard is still cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad