Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Trade a 7th round pick this offseason to Detroit for Cam Talbot. Convince Anti Raanta to come out of retirement.

Boom.
Boom, and just like that we are eliminated from the playoffs in the first round each year while Laf is playing in his prime. Then we can hear everyone here crying that we don't have a good goalie.

Reactions: haveandare

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers really don't get team friendly deals. It's frustrating, but that's what happens when you set the market internally by signing UFA to big deals. The Leafs experienced the same thing by signing Tavares. If you keep it in-house and sign your best player long term to a reasonable deal, it makes it hard for other players to demand much more.

That being said, I doubt the locker room cares very much. They're all happy for him and want him to get paid.

Drury probably leaked this to put pressure on him to sign. It worked for Swayman.

Ride out the year, try to win the cup, and let him walk. Ridiculous.

Fox and Mika absolutely left money on the table. If Mika had a 90 point season in his walk year he would've got 9-10 on a 7 year deal.

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think a lot of us are OK with that if it happens. I don't think Dolan/Drury would be though.
No, based on what we hear from the MSG/Vince propaganda machine, they seem to firmly think Igor is their key to winning.

And yet, they haven't, and also seem pretty content with the team around him.

It's all just an accident and the wheel will land on our spot any year now.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Here's a common misconception. The players are 100% behind Igor. Players want other players, especially their teammates and friends, to get paid. They probably agree that he should be the highest paid goalie in the world, and it's on the GM to make that money work.

Cool. They will continue to lose if their priority is squeezing the most millions out of the team.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY

Is this what you guys want?
Different circumstances. I'm well into my 40s I remember that trade like it was yesterday. Biggest thing is there was no salary cap implications. And Roy demanded a trade. I agree that losing Igor is absolutely the worst cast scenario. Another scenario is they pay Igor what's he's asking, I'm going to assume 12.5x8 for the 100mill contract. And he leads the Rangers to the playoffs every year. They don't win the cup because they are short on depth and the playoffs take their toll year after year. Their draft pick position is affected as well, as they never draft high enough to draft impactful guys. Thus prolonging the mediocrity into the decade after. It will just be history repeating itself. And I might be dead by then having witnessed 1 cup in my youth. lol the situation sucks.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
We got Trouba first, then Fox.
We had zero rhd and we needed someone to eat the tough minutes.
The Trouba contract is peanuts if there isn’t a pandemic.
The Panarin contract isn’t the squeeze it is if there isn’t a pandemic.

The rangers made logical mover. Panarin didn’t suddenly push us into a middling playoff team ruining the rebuild.
The rangers were targeting guys like zegras and lundell.

We don’t miss on one of Andersson, vk. We have a cup.
Trouba, at the time he signed, was overpaid by $1-2M; now he's overpaid by $3-4M and has regressed.

They did miss on those two; that's on the organization. Kravtsov would've been a high end top forward they needed; wouldn't have had to have give up assets for Kane/Tarasenko a couple years ago. The Anderson trade did get the Rangers Cuylle, so it didn't turn out that badly.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba, at the time he signed, was overpaid by $1-2M; now he's overpaid by $3-4M and has regressed.

They did miss on those two; that's on the organization. Kravtsov would've been a high end top forward they needed; wouldn't have had to have give up assets for Kane/Tarasenko a couple years ago. The Anderson trade did get the Rangers Cuylle, so it didn't turn out that badly.
anderson was supposed to be a defensive 2-3c. They wouldn't have had to sign trocheck (whos been a great signing but still He'd still be on a team friendly RFA deal vs UFA)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Igor to MIN for Wallstedt+Fleury/Gustafson+ wouldn’t be terrible either. With the Suter & Parise contracts coming off the cap they’d have room to re-sign him, and it’d be a big sign to Kaprizov they’re trying to contend & he should stick around

Reactions: mas0764

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pay him, I'm not gonna sit here and watch this team scrounge around for a goalie like the Devils have done for the past 4 years. Garand is an interesting prospect but I wouldn't put the pressure of a Cup contender on a 22 year old goalie.
Yeah, I would hate being the Devils.

Has to suck being loaded down the middle for the next 15 years.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_6416.jpeg

Just gonna leave this right here and then dip out because I like watching the world burn

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The perfect outcome.

We win cup. Drury grows balls and still lets Shesty walk.l rather than giving that contract.

Now, onto reality. We dont win cup, drury caves and we still dont win cup and become stuck on first/second round exits.
If we win the cup I don't care if they offer him 12.5.. I'll enjoy the cup win.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Igor is being a prick, he's basically hellbent on destroying this teams chances with this contract demand. he turned down 8 years $11mil aav lmao. get the f*** out. used to love the guy but this is ridiculous. he could've been a NY legend like Hank and just print money after his career.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Igoraphobia def. Noun.

Paying 12.5×8 full NMC because you have leakage in your sac.

Again. LMA comrade.

Did hear a funny on NHL Radio. Talked about Shesty and Bread wanting to go to Chicago to play with Bedard. Not Berard.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
Yeah, I would hate being the Devils.

Has to suck being loaded down the middle for the next 15 years.
they will never have THE goalie and I'd rather have that than potentially getting shafted each year because of that one giant hole. I mean look at EDM, they have not one but two franchise centermen and they've yet to win it all.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Gotta love fans wishing for failure to make some kind of point. Bunch of nutcases.

Hoping for lots of wins and a deep run. Go be miserable if that’s your thing.
I'm hoping Igor betting on himself gets us the Cup. Then whatever. We overpay for him, I can live with it. He walks, I can live with it...

Reactions: haveandare

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
December, January they were without Kakko, Wheeler, and Chytil and they ended the two month stretch like a game over .500. Am I crazy?
Over .500 in point percentage. Depending on how you shift those dates, we fell to around 21/22nd in point percentage. (like Nov 27th - Jan 27th) That was a 25-30 game sample.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
There’s just no way Drury has the stones to let Igor walk.
Decisions like this should be a collective decision by owner and management. No gm in their right mind after going to the ecf would let their goalie go, it's career suicide, yet it's an option that should be considered. Personally I just stop communication to his agent at this point, leaving this as the final offer if he wants it he can take it at any time, if not he will be moved at the deadline. The 3rd step is to bring Garand up and run the 3 headed monster incase you need to have Garand ready for either a backup role or if he shines the starter role. Shesterkin has just showed us who he is, he's not about the team, and imo it's possible for some reason he wants out of ny. Maybe he wasn't happy about the Buchnevich move?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
the hilarious (?) thing about this is that there is literally no good way it ends. None.

Either he plays lights out and gets the deal he wants, hamstringing NYR for entirety of his deal and becoming villain every time he lets in a single goal ("WE PAID 12.5mm FOR THIS!??") or he doesn't earn the deal he wants this year, Rangers do poorly, and he's the villain anyway ("VIBES ARE OFF BC SELFISH SHESTY SIEVE").

There's no way to win. no optimal outcome. Zugzwang.
What if we win the cup this year because Igor bet on himself and won?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad