Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They should have stopped expanding when they had 24 teams.

It's not like Hockey is a top 2 sport anywhere in the USA so yes it's a little confusing.

I'm still trying to complete my collection of labatt blue stanley cup trophies from 1999 when there were only 30. Atlanta, San Jose to go.

1728406398824.jpeg

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
They were in the 20th range for win percentage for nearly a 2 month span. They had a hot start that kept them in that top position when they hit wall. They obviously had success after that low point which got them the president trophy. I'm not for paying Igor that much, but unless we get a goalie that isn't currently in our system, there's going to be a big step back and fans will need to accept that.
I thought they hit a rough stretch in December and January when injuries caught up with them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Let's just play out the season and see what happens in free agency. If there are teams lining up to give him 12 a year after this year, so be it.
Also, consider the fact that 12.5 somewhere else = 11 with us. 8 years vs 7 years.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
For the cohort that is against paying a goalie big bucks, the best case scenario is win the cup and let him walk at EOY.

Since neither of those things are going to happen, we are all going to enjoy 8 years of 12.5 AAV! Kewl beanz!

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I thought they hit a rough stretch in December and January when injuries caught up with them.
No the injuries of trouba and lindgren actually had us playing our best hockey.
In january Shesty was statistically the worst goalie in the entire NHL. Quick outplayed him by a decent margin.

He is a playoff performer. But he was very up and down during regular season last year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Even with him we arent going anywhere.

This core is not good enough.

We have no #1 C

Panarin, Zib and Kreider all dissappeared in ECF.

Shesty cant fix that.

Relying on a goalie to steal a series is not a good strategy.
Getting rid of Igor can't fix those issues either.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
In january Shesty was statistically the worst goalie in the entire NHL. Quick outplayed him by a decent margin.

He is a playoff performer. But he was very up and down during regular season last year.
December, January they were without Kakko, Wheeler, and Chytil and they ended the two month stretch like a game over .500. Am I crazy?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is what I can’t get over with Igor. He’s incredible, and his end of the day stats are always great, but he’s just doesn’t “feel” like a shut it down kinda of goalie to me.

I am in the “don’t pay a goalie” camp to begin with, but even if I could get over that, this guy doesn’t get shutouts and is not the type to just win games on his own.

As is usual with this team, we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. We have the best player in the league at the wrong position again. Wonderful.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The locker room must love that Igor's demands involve being the highest paid Ranger. Real "all for one" mentality. Pisses me right off.
The Rangers really don't get team friendly deals. It's frustrating, but that's what happens when you set the market internally by signing UFA to big deals. The Leafs experienced the same thing by signing Tavares. If you keep it in-house and sign your best player long term to a reasonable deal, it makes it hard for other players to demand much more.

That being said, I doubt the locker room cares very much. They're all happy for him and want him to get paid.

Drury probably leaked this to put pressure on him to sign. It worked for Swayman.

Ride out the year, try to win the cup, and let him walk. Ridiculous.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the cohort that is against paying a goalie big bucks, the best case scenario is win the cup and let him walk at EOY.

Since neither of those things are going to happen, we are all going to enjoy 8 years of 12.5 AAV! Kewl beanz!
I'm fine with letting him walk.

Sometimes, it's just time to move on. You don't need to shackle yourself to somebody because you couldn't get trade value for them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The locker room must love that Igor's demands involve being the highest paid Ranger. Real "all for one" mentality. Pisses me right off.
Here's a common misconception. The players are 100% behind Igor. Players want other players, especially their teammates and friends, to get paid. They probably agree that he should be the highest paid goalie in the world, and it's on the GM to make that money work.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I'm fine with letting him walk.

Sometimes, it's just time to move on. You don't need to shackle yourself to somebody because you couldn't get trade value for them.
I think a lot of us are OK with that if it happens. I don't think Dolan/Drury would be though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well if drury lets him walks and and then is fired by Dolan it would be like we hit a grand slam.

Not only do we not sign an awful contract, but we get rid of an awful Gm.

We've never let a UFA of this level, in their prime, go to UFA in the cap era. Will be very interesting to see if we can convince ourselves to do so.

To be honest, losing Yandle to free agency is probably the highest level player we've just allowed to depart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad