Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
So we are just going to throw anyway any hope of the Cup?
Um no. It is possible to win without shesterkin. In fact it was possible to win without lundqvist.

You know how i know this? Bc neither shesty or lundqvist have ever won a cup. Yet the cup was awarded every year since they have been in the league.

f***ing crazy right. A team winning without the best goaltender in the league. Mind blowing shit.

Its almost like if you build a good team around the goalie, you dont need to rely on the goalie as much and therefore can use a lesser goalie and still win.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That's 12.5 per year. What reason is there to give him 2 million more per year than any other goalie has ever been paid? Only 3 goalies in the cap era have gotten more than 8.5 mil per year. Is Shesty worth 4/4.25 mil more than Hellebuyck, Sorokin and Swayman? Is he worth 3 mil more than Vasi?

It has nothing to do with optimism. 12.5 is just an unrealistic number. He can ask for it. Doesn't mean he's going to get it.
12.5 without the 8th year is less money than 8x11, so if he wants 88 mill, he can get it here, I'm doubtful another team signs him to 7x12.5

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shesterkin wants to be the highest paid goalie in terms of % of cap hit rather than a number which is not without basis so some of your assessment of $10.6m etc will be immediately rejected, because his camp will have a contract in mind prepared differently. What the Rangers can argue is that some of those previous contracts were mistakes on the part of the management that gave them - such as Price’s contract - so they could suggest to throw away some of the references and / or rely on the average of say top-3 or top-5 of highest goalies contracts. Shesterkin is arguably the best NHL goalie and he wants to be compensated as such using metrics that applicable regardless of a “cap era”. This is not unreasonable.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
People talk like winning without the best goalie is some kind of formula. You still need the extreme luck to happen to find the one goalie on a hot streak that given year. I don't know how that improves your 1 in 32 chance. Or maybe 1 in 16 if you're a playoff lock (but are you with a middling goalie?) Stocking up on star forwards and winging it on goalie has not been the formula for Toronto and others. With Shesty the Rangers are more of a 1 in 6 or 8 shot because a deep run is more probable. Nothing is guaranteed and there's no sure formula.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
i'm less concerned about an extra 1-2 mill here and there and more concerned that Igor is going to enable another 6-7 years of "fill the defense with useless slugs and have no strategy besides Igor being unbeatable". It's hank part 2 electric boogaloo. I'm really not interested in watching a repeat of it.
Memories...

1728315524671.png

• Haha
Reactions: TGWL and Atax

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Shesty's camp has made it known from the beginning that he wants to be the highest paid goalie. The highest salary right now is Carey Price at $10.5M, so I think he'd accept a contract between $11M-$12M....anything else, it's "Sayonara Baby"!!!!
I bid 10.5 Million + 1 Canadian Dollar....there ya go....highest paid...terms met !

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Um no. It is possible to win without shesterkin. In fact it was possible to win without lundqvist.

You know how i know this? Bc neither shesty or lundqvist have ever won a cup. Yet the cup was awarded every year since they have been in the league.

f***ing crazy right. A team winning without the best goaltender in the league. Mind blowing shit.

Its almost like if you build a good team around the goalie, you dont need to rely on the goalie as much and therefore can use a lesser goalie and still win.
It's certainly possible, but it's a long way from letting Shesty go to winning a cup. What is your plan for replacing him?

Reactions: TominNC

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It's certainly possible, but it's a long way from letting Shesty go to winning a cup. What is your plan for replacing him?
Everyone also assumes that we’ll somehow bolster our talent enough to overcome the lack of Igor.
Well how many high end ufa’s are worth big money.
very Few ufa’s are under 30, worth a 7 year deal and would really help our team.

Reactions: GAGLine

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
We need Shesty with this core. Once Panarin and Mika and Kreider are gone then next time you can try your average goalie lottery with high paid offensive players. Maybe when Perreault breaks through to replace Panarin. But right now with the extra $6M you need to pay Shesty you're not getting a difference maker. So realistically, for the foreseeable future your best lottery shots at a cup involve Shesty in net.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why do we always get the "stars" that want top dollar? Loads of star players across the league have taken less than market deals to keep their squads together.

Shesty is the only guy on the entire roster who has straight up eaten in the playoffs each of the last 3 years. Anyone who thinks that this team can just up and replace that is insane and the FO has shown no inclination for improving the actual weak points bc they're blinded by the powers of friendship.

Improving the defense or refusing to do so last deadline was such a missed opportunity. A competent (or even good) body in place of Lindgren could have been the difference between winning a cup and getting bounced in 6 in the CF.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

lmao, we don't even sniff the conference finals, let along winning those 2 games ECF games last year without that "best goalie in the league".

I'm sure 40 year old Quick won't break down with a heavy workload come the playoffs, because it's only been 10 years since he had that much to do.

But don't worry, that huge 4-6M we save on not paying Igor I'm sure we will build an amazing team! And I'm sure that average goalie we get for much cheaper will play amazing in the playoffs too, definitely not like Andersson did for the Canes last playoffs and cost them the series. Everything will go absolutely perfect! Hurry up and lets get rid of the best player we have had over the last few playoffs, the sooner we get rid of him the sooner we can win a cup!

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
again 11.25 x 8 BUT NO FUGGIN CLAUSES
You're not signing any relevant player to a big contract without trade protection. These are veteran players. They have earned the right to play where they want. Maybe not full control, but partial. It's just not happening. These guys aren't going to risk getting traded to Anaheim or Columbus.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Why do we always get the "stars" that want top dollar? Loads of star players across the league have taken less than market deals to keep their squads together.

Shesty is the only guy on the entire roster who has straight up eaten in the playoffs each of the last 3 years. Anyone who thinks that this team can just up and replace that is insane and the FO has shown no inclination for improving the actual weak points bc they're blinded by the powers of friendship.

Improving the defense or refusing to do so last deadline was such a missed opportunity. A competent (or even good) body in place of Lindgren could have been the difference between winning a cup and getting bounced in 6 in the CF.
Loads of stars have taken less.
You mean 1-2 million less, yes.
But considering the lifespan of an nhl career, I can understand that they want every penny.

you need star power to win a cup.
Colorado, Florida, Edmonton, Dallas, Boston.

Where that star power plays is variable.
No one was saying lindholm was a star last season. Simply that he’d push everyone down in our defense and make us deeper.

we’ve had these discussions for years. A good goalie allows you to take chances you might not usually. And that’s exactly what we do.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
We probably are headed for a rebuild anyway. Panarin, zib, trocheck, kreider are all getting older and panarin and kreiders deals up shortly. And we dont really have the elite prospects to replace.

I dont think we have the depth to win without or without shesterkin.

But management will never premptively start a rebuild without at least one meh year to show where u are lacking. Sooooooo….

If we are going to let shesty walk, you obviously need to sign or trade for a 1a type goalie at minimum. Not sure who is available. But try to keep price tag under shesty current salary.

Next stop is signing a defensemen who is legit top 4, and has some ruggedness. Can also make a trade. The key is to have a great top 4. Championship teams run their top 4 heavily.

Finally, sign or trade for a matchup shut down center who can either play 3c and move chytil to wing or would be an elite 4c. Championship teams also tend to run all 4 lines and not need to rely on top 2 lines or PP.

Thats if u want to keep kreider, miller and the rest of the “core”

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
“Im not concerned about the dollar amount, im concerned about the impact the dollar amount will have on roster construction “
It's not the dollar amount impacting roster construction, it's the crutch. Elite goaltending enables this team being dumb. It shouldn't be like that but it has been since early in Hank's career.

It's ok if we won't have the puck. Just keep it to the outside (or tell ourselves we're doing that) and Igor will stop everything.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We probably are headed for a rebuild anyway. Panarin, zib, trocheck, kreider are all getting older and panarin and kreiders deals up shortly. And we dont really have the elite prospects to replace.

I dont think we have the depth to win without or without shesterkin.

But management will never premptively start a rebuild without at least one meh year to show where u are lacking. Sooooooo….

If we are going to let shesty walk, you obviously need to sign or trade for a 1a type goalie at minimum. Not sure who is available. But try to keep price tag under shesty current salary.

Next stop is signing a defensemen who is legit top 4, and has some ruggedness. Can also make a trade. The key is to have a great top 4. Championship teams run their top 4 heavily.

Finally, sign or trade for a matchup shut down center who can either play 3c and move chytil to wing or would be an elite 4c. Championship teams also tend to run all 4 lines and not need to rely on top 2 lines or PP.

Thats if u want to keep kreider, miller and the rest of the “core”
Find me a 1a goalie making under 5.5…
Wait till next July and show me a top 4 defenseman who’s actually hitting UFA…

This isn’t nhl 25. These things don’t happen.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I've always expected Igor to get 10.75M AAV but the Swayman signing does feel like the number would be lower, but our GM is Drury. He's gonna give 10.75M and try to sell us what a steal that number is.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
lmao, we don't even sniff the conference finals, let along winning those 2 games ECF games last year without that "best goalie in the league".

I'm sure 40 year old Quick won't break down with a heavy workload come the playoffs, because it's only been 10 years since he had that much to do.

But don't worry, that huge 4-6M we save on not paying Igor I'm sure we will build an amazing team! And I'm sure that average goalie we get for much cheaper will play amazing in the playoffs too, definitely not like Andersson did for the Canes last playoffs and cost them the series. Everything will go absolutely perfect! Hurry up and lets get rid of the best player we have had over the last few playoffs, the sooner we get rid of him the sooner we can win a cup!

You’re right we dont. Bc our core is already suspect. How can u make the core better if you are spending too much on a goalie? Hint you probably cant.

Shesty is not worth 3 or 4 m more than other goalies. He just isnt.

more above avg goalies have won a cup since the cap than a top 5 elite goalie.

and if the difference in cost is 6-8m that is a top line forward or #2 dman. That can make a huge difference. Much more than the difference between.921 and .914

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Find me a 1a goalie making under 5.5…
Wait till next July and show me a top 4 defenseman who’s actually hitting UFA…

This isn’t nhl 25. These things don’t happen.
For f***s sake there were ar least 2 top 4 dmrn that signed in Nj this offseason. Yes top 4 dmen are signed every single f***ing year. Dont be an idiot. Skjei also signed. And you can make a trade. Were a few of them too

Linus ullmark is under 6m he is a 1a. Whats marksteom at? Around 6 off the top of my head.

I mean the florida panthers were basically constructed like it was ea nhl 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad