Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Berard is a lot more gritty and physical than St.Louis was. Different style of players despite their size.
Not so sure, but even still, guys are bigger, stronger, faster now.
He has to be AT LEAST St Louis good if not better.
Not seeing it
tell me I'm wrong [about not seeing it]

And I don't see it anytime soon, either

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me what makes a player like Panarin special (and he's not the only one in the league but they're rare) is his see react respond capabilities are practically instantaneous combined with he really has excellent skating and stick skills. Kucherov is like that.....Pastrnak.....a few others. Not that many though. It's A+ hockey instinct/IQ. Fox has quite a bit of it too and it looks like Perreault might as well but players like them are really really rare.

Because of that skillset Panarin can drive a line. Lafreniere is turning out well now but he hasn't shown that he can take over games with any consistency. Mika kind of was flirting with it a couple seasons ago but the last two not really. We lose that it will be very very difficult to replace. That said when a player turns 35 things can go sour really quickly.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Of course I would be open to signing him to a 3-4 year deal. He'll be 34 to start the year not 40. Whether or not it's worth it depends on how he plays over the next two years and what else is available at that time.
I'm ok with 3x7, but beyond that I feel he's already getting slower. I dont wanna sound like a panarin beater because I love having him here, I'm just looking us having a 12 mill goalie and likely an 8 mill Laf and whatever Miller gets and I'm wondering how it all fits.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Berard is a lot more gritty and physical than St.Louis was. Different style of players despite their size.
St.louis was built like a tank. I love Berard but unless he bulks up I doubt he's gonna be able to play like that in the nhl and stay healthy. If he plays like Fast he can be a nice player for us.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm not sure where Othmann was supposed to go.

The top 9 is set. You could argue it shouldn't be but nobody goes with exactly the same thing again like they went 98-0 quite like the Rangers.
If Othmann took Kakko's spot he would just produce the same with worse defense. He hasn't shown some offensive spark in the opportunities he has been given.

Reactions: kovazub94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So Berard makes the team? He wasn't sent down. Rangers have 27 players still.

Panarin
Lindgren
Vesey

Rangers should put Vesey and Lindgren on IR.

Which would make 25. Send down Brodzinski and waive Ruhwedal

Rangers are at 26 players with Lindgren and Vesey out. Rangers usually go with 22 guys. My guess is there are two more cuts and one of them is Robertson and the other will be Berard or at least will be if we're cap compliant which I believe we will be.

When Lindgren and Vesey come back more decisions will have to be made.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'm not sure where Othmann was supposed to go.

The top 9 is set. You could argue it shouldn't be but nobody goes with exactly the same thing again like they went 98-0 quite like the Rangers.

Trade Kakko for a young dman that can go to the AHL without waivers. Kakko gets the Rangers defensive depth. Othmann takes his spot

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Othmann took Kakko's spot he would just produce the same with worse defense. He hasn't shown some offensive spark in the opportunities he has been given.
They also wouldn't demote Kakko if he murdered somebody.

Winning teams get close and then make changes because close = not good enough.

The Rangers' mentality is "let's make sure we stay close and maybe some weird shit will happen."

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
They also wouldn't demote Kakko if he murdered somebody.

Winning teams get close and then make changes because close = not good enough.

The Rangers' mentality is "let's make sure we stay close and maybe some weird shit will happen."
Keeping the same core won't change the team, but could make the Rangers worst as other teams improved

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Othmann has been built up by the fanbase as more than what he is because of a lack of high end prospects in the system. The fact that he’s been cut is not surprising in the least.

He looked like trash at multiple points this preseason
Besides Edstrom, Chytil, and maybe Mancini and Jones who hasn’t been trash this preseason?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You need to trade Kakko to make room for Othmann OR trade Othmann at this point. As it currently is, unless there is a major leap at AHL level, Othmann value is tanked

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
On Panarin it wouldn't surprise me if or before his contract is up the Rangers try to sign him again for a bit less money and for a somewhat shorter term length. He'll be 35 when his next contract kicks in. Perreault coming on board probably after next year seems to have some of the same things Artemi has.
I expect Gabe to turn pro after his latest college season is done. Unless he somehow takes a backwards step.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad