Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Othmann played in all 6 preseason games. No one can say he wasn't given an opportunity to make the team. Last night he got to play with Trocheck and Lafreniere and wasn't very noticeable. A player on the cusp of going one way or the other in a team's last preseason game needs to be very noticeable and in a very good way. It's not a surprise at least for me that he was sent to Hartford. He has talent and he should be a good player but he's not top line talent.....he looks to me more of a middle 6 winger.

With Mackey seemingly going to Hartford that leaves the Rangers down to 26 players. Two of them are injured and out for a few weeks.

Forwards-Panarin, Trocheck, Lafreniere, Kreider, Zibanejad, Smith, Cuylle, Chytil, Kakko, Edström, Carrick, Rempe, Brodzinski, Berard-----Vesey injured. From what I've seen in preseason these would be the exact players that should still be up.

Defense--Fox, Miller, Schneider, Jones, Trouba, Mancini, Ruhwedel, Robertson.......Lindgren injured. Apart from Robertson this would be the D I would have too....though between Mackey and Ruhwedel I'd be okay either way. To me either would also be our 7D guy.

Goal--Sheshterkin, Quick.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On Panarin it wouldn't surprise me if or before his contract is up the Rangers try to sign him again for a bit less money and for a somewhat shorter term length. He'll be 35 when his next contract kicks in. Perreault coming on board probably after next year seems to have some of the same things Artemi has.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I wanted Othmann to force his way on this team and he didn't, he needs to have his jt Miller moment

On Panarin it wouldn't surprise me if or before his contract is up the Rangers try to sign him again for a bit less money and for a somewhat shorter term length. He'll be 35 when his next contract kicks in. Perreault coming on board probably after next year seems to have some of the same things Artemi has.

I'm doubting Panarin gives us much of a discount. I mean what would that look like? 8 mill? 6 mill? Realistically you'd want it under 5.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The biggest flop so far is that we never signed Laf to an 8x8 deal this year before the season. This is how teams stay in the hunt long term, you get your young players signed long term at rates that will surely become bargains a quarter way through the deal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I wanted Othmann to force his way on this team and he didn't, he needs to have his jt Miller moment

I'm doubting Panarin gives us much of a discount. I mean what would that look like? 8 mill? 6 mill? Realistically you'd want it under 5.

Do you think Panarin is suddenly turning into about a 50 point player this year and next year? Because outside of that there is no way he is signing anywhere for under 5M. Ridiculous. Stamkos just signed for 8M/yr for 4 years at that age in one of the famous No Tax States and he's not even as good.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Under $5 is completely unrealistic (and unreasonable). I’m two years with cap going up $8+ for 4 years be my guess for discounted rate.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers should have waived Kakko over sending Othmann down. Once Kakko gets dealt Othmann will be back
beyond stupid

1. deal Vesey
2. KK stays bread won't be here in 2 yrs

smarter to deal him and get something once he is willing to waive
rather than continue even for a bit less

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The biggest flop so far is that we never signed Laf to an 8x8 deal this year before the season. This is how teams stay in the hunt long term, you get your young players signed long term at rates that will surely become bargains a quarter way through the deal.
not necessarily although mo $ for a bit of term might have been ok dep on the #s
Howev, I said like 1-2 yrs ago give KAM max deal at 6.25 per instead of adding stupid deadweight Fs and not doing so then will cost us later

Under $5 is completely unrealistic (and unreasonable). I’m two years with cap going up $8+ for 4 years be my guess for discounted rate.
he will get 8ish min from somewhere 4-5 yrs and maybe mo per if he takes less term
BUT HE SHOULD NOT EVEN SNIFF THAT FROM UJS

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
People who want to move on from Panarin greatly underestimate how inept this organization is at finding & developing offensive talent. Panarin is one of the most offensively talented players in the league and fell into our laps. He's also not a guy who depends on physical attributes to excel and has a lot less mileage on his body than most players his age due to how late he came to the NHL. He's a guy who I think will produce well into his older years, hell he just had his most productive season of his career. Combining regular season & playoffs he just had the most points in franchise history. Even with first and second overall picks falling into our laps for the first time in franchise history we don't have anything remotely close to Panarin to show for it.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Othmann didn’t do enough offensively to make up for his play away from the puck. Kakko at least makes the right plays defensively.
Last night kakko had a few moments where he actually pulled away from someone with the puck. both shocked me and gave me hope. I'm still mildly hopeful that a full season of chytil with kakko is the change we need.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Are we looking at the same exact roster as last year minus Gus plus Jones and having Smith in the top 6? I can't get too excited over that. Then again, the alternative is the Giants.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Do you think Panarin is suddenly turning into about a 50 point player this year and next year? Because outside of that there is no way he is signing anywhere for under 5M. Ridiculous. Stamkos just signed for 8M/yr for 4 years at that age in one of the famous No Tax States and he's not even as good.

I agree, but do you want to hand him a 3 or 4 year deal? People were complaining about the length of the last one

People who want to move on from Panarin greatly underestimate how inept this organization is at finding & developing offensive talent. Panarin is one of the most offensively talented players in the league and fell into our laps. He's also not a guy who depends on physical attributes to excel and has a lot less mileage on his body than most players his age due to how late he came to the NHL. He's a guy who I think will produce well into his older years, hell he just had his most productive season of his career. Combining regular season & playoffs he just had the most points in franchise history. Even with first and second overall picks falling into our laps for the first time in franchise history we don't have anything remotely close to Panarin to show for it.
Do you sign him to the Stamkos deal?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I agree, but do you want to hand him a 3 or 4 year deal? People were complaining about the length of the last one

Do you sign him to the Stamkos deal?

Of course I would be open to signing him to a 3-4 year deal. He'll be 34 to start the year not 40. Whether or not it's worth it depends on how he plays over the next two years and what else is available at that time.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
If Panarin is missing time to start the year I’m saying f*** it and rolling this out as my top 6.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Smith
Laf-Tro-Kakko

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So Berard makes the team? He wasn't sent down. Rangers have 27 players still.

Panarin
Lindgren
Vesey

Rangers should put Vesey and Lindgren on IR.

Which would make 25. Send down Brodzinski and waive Ruhwedal

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So Berard makes the team? He wasn't sent down. Rangers have 27 players still.

Panarin
Lindgren
Vesey

Rangers should put Vesey and Lindgren on IR.

Which would make 25. Send down Brodzinski and waive Ruhwedal
No
deal Vesey + Lindy now
Brodz deserves to stay
Berard showing nothing
He's 5'9
if he's gonna stick NHL level he has to play like Marty St. Louis
right now he is not even remotely close to that

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
No
deal Vesey + Lindy now
Brodz deserves to stay
Berard showing nothing
He's 5'9
if he's gonna stick NHL level he has to play like Marty St. Louis
right now he is not even remotely close to that
Berard is a lot more gritty and physical than St.Louis was. Different style of players despite their size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad