Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Since when have the Rangers done what they should do from a roster or cap management perspective?

I'm not saying it should be one or the other. I'm saying it will be.

this is my point. if NYR saw Edström as a contributor, he'd be on the PK. instead, Carrick-Vesey and Brodz are getting shifts.

the tea leaves are there. I would bet that barring injury, Edstrom gets fewer than 15 games by christmas.

can anyone make an argument for why Edstrom will make the lineup besides "he should?"

furthermore, have the management bootlickers yet begun to formulate arguments for why he shouldn't be on the team? straw men, yes, but still.

this is upsetting not just because Edstrom won't play. he's not a gamebreaker, the advantages accrued by his presence in a lineup are subtle and accretive. it's upsetting because it's proof that the team still has no clue what wins hockey games. Edstrom, Jones, these are assets already in organization.

just play the guys who are good at the game the team plays. it's so f***ing simple
I won't tell you that Edstrom shouldn't be on the roster, but I can tell you the reasons why he might not be. You are free to agree or disagree with those reasons.

1) Edstrom may benefit more from playing big minutes in Hartford rather than minimal minutes in the NHL.
2) Edstrom is waiver exempt. We don't have to worry about losing him if he's sent down.
3) Role. Edstrom has never killed a penalty or taken a faceoff in the NHL. Maybe Edstrom can do those things, but Drury/Lavi may prefer a player who has actually done it.
4) Lindgren is hurt and probably won't be ready for the start of the season. This may result in us starting the season with 13 forwards and 8 dmen, rather than 14 and 7.

Maybe you don't think any of those things matter, but they matter to the people in charge.

Personally, I hope Edstrom makes the team. I think he has earned it to this point. But if he's not on the roster on day 1, it's likely for one or more of the reasons I listed.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
this is my point. if NYR saw Edström as a contributor, he'd be on the PK. instead, Carrick-Vesey and Brodz are getting shifts.

the tea leaves are there. I would bet that barring injury, Edstrom gets fewer than 15 games by christmas.

can anyone make an argument for why Edstrom will make the lineup besides "he should?"

furthermore, have the management bootlickers yet begun to formulate arguments for why he shouldn't be on the team? straw men, yes, but still.

this is upsetting not just because Edstrom won't play. he's not a gamebreaker, the advantages accrued by his presence in a lineup are subtle and accretive. it's upsetting because it's proof that the team still has no clue what wins hockey games. Edstrom, Jones, these are assets already in organization.

just play the guys who are good at the game the team plays. it's so f***ing simple

the mantis thing not directed at you. that's why there was a paragraph break
Ah. Didn’t get it. Still found it funny. Hahah.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
we'll likely have an opportunity to do so after this current core is gone. trouba, bread, and likely 1 of chytil/kakko will be gone, we ideally have 2 top 9 fwds on ELC, as well as homegrown bottom 6 depth from this current hartford crop.

finding the right fit at F could go a long way. obviously the D is much harder to deal with.
Sam Reinhart is a great example of a trade I'd include Othmann for. He had 40, 50, 60 point seasons with Buffalo. #2 OA. FLA traded a 1st (#28OA) and Devon Levi for him. Obviously exploded in FLA. JT Miller from TB to VAN was kinda similar. I don't know if there are any players like that who might be available. 40-60 pt players with breakout potential. Pretty much all the high draft position players in the last half-decade have succeeded, busted hard, or have been traded already. Although historically, I can't think of any players we've ever traded for that actually broke out in that way.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sam Reinhart is a great example of a trade I'd include Othmann for. He had 40, 50, 60 point seasons with Buffalo. #2 OA. FLA traded a 1st (#28OA) and Devon Levi for him. Obviously exploded in FLA. JT Miller from TB to VAN was kinda similar. I don't know if there are any players like that who might be available. 40-60 pt players with breakout potential. Pretty much all the high draft position players in the last half-decade have succeeded, busted hard, or have been traded already. Although historically, I can't think of any players we've ever traded for that actually broke out in that way.
prob w/this is dealing youth for vets and it adds to cap
I get you meant as part of a package, but no

Shesty + Zib +
for
Nylander ++
keep Oth for now
let him marinate in advance of bread exit

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

the mantis thing not directed at you. that's why there was a paragraph break
So f***ing painful to sit here as a clueless fan while this is staring us in the face and just won’t happen.

I have friends and teammates that can’t understand why I can’t just enjoy the Rangers “success”. It’s because of shit like this.

Reactions: noncents

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I won't tell you that Edstrom shouldn't be on the roster, but I can tell you the reasons why he might not be. You are free to agree or disagree with those reasons.

1) Edstrom may benefit more from playing big minutes in Hartford rather than minimal minutes in the NHL.
2) Edstrom is waiver exempt. We don't have to worry about losing him if he's sent down.
3) Role. Edstrom has never killed a penalty or taken a faceoff in the NHL. Maybe Edstrom can do those things, but Drury/Lavi may prefer a player who has actually done it.
4) Lindgren is hurt and probably won't be ready for the start of the season. This may result in us starting the season with 13 forwards and 8 dmen, rather than 14 and 7.

Maybe you don't think any of those things matter, but they matter to the people in charge.

Personally, I hope Edstrom makes the team. I think he has earned it to this point. But if he's not on the roster on day 1, it's likely for one or more of the reasons I listed.
thanks for the measured response. points 2 and 4 are germane and you're right to bring them up.

1 and 3, however, really come down to one question: is he able to contribute to the NHL roster right now - better than vesey brodz or rempe?

If not, then you're right that he's better suited developing in Hartford playing big minutes. I might even buy that 10 games being a big dog in hartford wouldn't hurt as a primer on the season, to really get him flowing.

But if he is ready, and I believe he is, then the Rangers keeping him in AHL to not lose brodzinsky, or Vesey, or simply not recognizing the value Edström brings, then that's disgraceful.

and fwiw i asked if anyone could give me a reason why he *will* be on the roster, outside of purely merit.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
prob w/this is dealing youth for vets and it adds to cap
I get you meant as part of a package, but no

Shesty + Zib +
for
Nylander ++
keep Oth for now
let him marinate in advance of bread exit
Yeah, no. And where is Toronto getting cap to take both of those players?

As hard as I am on Panarin, and as doubtful I am that this team wins with him as the top paid go to guy, good lord does the lineup look disgusting without him.
Part of that is those line combos
Kreider – Zib – Smith
Laf – Trocheck – Kakko
Cuylle – Chytil – Vesey
Edstrom – Brodzinski – Rempe
may not be better but looks way more palatable.

Reactions: leetch99

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't WANT to trade any of those guys. I'm merely open to it if the deal favors this team.

Othmann is 21 and has had one season in the minors. The fact that he isn't NHL ready yet does not really concern me. Plenty of players aren't ready until they are 23-24 and still contribute just fine.
whats the percentage of those players who were first round picks?

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If I was Drury i would be calling LA about Gavrikov and see if he is available. He probably won't be until LA falls out of it if they fall out of it but he would fit beautifully next to Fox.

Lindgren needs to go. Guy is useless and that fight was idiotic. Standing up for your teammate cost your team a few weeks of you in the lineup. Probably a blessing with how bad he has been.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Shestekin’s contract is going to be terrible.

“Aiming to be the highest paid player on franchise history” is such a turn off as a fan. Typical Rangers. Better not let in more 2 goals in a PO game again dude.

Little reason to take this team seriously with that on the books for the next 8 years.

13a6e0f8-358f-42c8-9211-dc82a7457aef_text.gif

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
uhhh zibanejad

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

“Aiming to be the highest paid player on franchise history” is such a turn off as a fan. Typical Rangers. Better not let in more 2 goals in a PO game again dude.

Little reason to take this team seriously with that on the books for the next 8 years.

The guy needs to go. I don’t care how good you are. This attitude is poison.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

This is where I'm at. The Rangers are perfectly constructed to bring in playoff money year after year for Dolan and to keep the corporate suits happy. Winning the Cup on the other hand... "well, there's always next year" year (kaching!) after year (kaching!) after year (kaching!) after year (kaching!) after year (kaching!)...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Devils advocate because I really don't see any way we let him go because thats a GM's suicide if we miss playoffs, and not saying I want that but....

Trade Shesterkin, play Quick with Garand, hopefully Garand hits
Sign Kaprizov as a ufa in 26.

Reactions: CasusBelli

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
whats the percentage of those players who were first round picks?
I don’t know. It’s kind of irrelevant. If they became useful players at 23-24 what does it matter where, or even if, they were drafted.
When do most 16th overall players become regulars on a team that’s at or near the top of the league? What does the avg mid round pick usually turn into?

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Devils advocate because I really don't see any way we let him go because thats a GM's suicide if we miss playoffs, and not saying I want that but....

Trade Shesterkin, play Quick with Garand, hopefully Garand hits
Sign Kaprizov as a ufa in 26.
We’re in cap hell. Almost think it’s worth risk missing the playoffs, resetting (not rebuilding), and then taking it from there. That means bye-bye to 31, 93, 8 and 10 and hello to some mid-high 20-something studs. It’ll also mean dealing picks. Otherwise, rebuild is the only way.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Mackey on the first pair. This is what happens when you don’t have much young defensive depth. On other teams, one of their young dman would take that spot. Mackey and Harpur are awful. I’d try Mancini and Fox. Since Mancini can skate, he might be a good addition to Fox

Or relax it’s let’s say a month for a stop gap
Play Jones more
Reuwedahl will step in as he plays both sides

Mackey , Harpur , Fitzgerald have nhl experience

Robertson , Scanlin may get a look

Mancini looks good but RD

they just drafted a Dman 1st round they know

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don’t think Trouba has any intention to leave. A year from now her residency will end, and we’ll hear that her new job at whatever hospital in NYC is extremely important to them.

He has a track record from Winnipeg. Just to reiterate, hard to fault a guy for using his contractual list, but the other stuff that he put out there violates the agreement in my opinion. Morally if not technically legally.

He’s gonna get bought out at min so he may aswell accept a deal

Laf , Igor , Miller raises so they need space

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If Kakko happens to get dealt, they better target a young dman that has potential. After watching last nights game, do the Rangers really need to be only 2 or 3 dman injuries away from playing Harpur, especially when Lindgren is already hurt.

Well RD is ok
Fox and Schneider are young
Drafted EJ Emery and Mancini has potential
Teams having vet depth us pretty normal too

LD kinda same situation
Miller amd Jones are young
But they need to add more kids at LD sure

Are we thinking Berard or Othmaan can replace Kakko is the question

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Lindgren look for silver linings. It's fairly obvious in any case he's going to unrestricted free agency next year. If he's out of the lineup for the while then we get to see other guys and to be honest I'd rather Fox were paired with larger and stronger partner than Ryan.....and my first guess is they'll pair him with K'Andre. They'll pair Jones with either Trouba or Schneider and the 6th guy will be any of Mancini, Mackey, Harpur, Robertson, Scanlin with Ruhwedel the 7th guy. Other teams deal with injuries...they find out more about their players doing so. I don't necessarily think that the guy replacing Lindgren will be a massive downgrade or that Ryan is even a key piece of our team.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think Shesterkin is worth 11.75M x 8 years. I want to win a Cup and I think he’s capable of stealing 1-2 games a round in the playoffs. That’s immense.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Ad

Ad