Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He doesn’t control the game the way the other players at his pay grade does. You know this is true.
Panarin is an elite player. That is not debatable.

Now, you want to argue if he’s worth the money due to his playoff performance, then I’m right behind you.

You can’t diminish his talent level and regular season production though.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If he has his heart set on $13MM, let his agent talk to other teams. He will quickly find out there’s a not a flush market at that price. And if he finds a taker, let that team deal with Drury.
His value is also at an all time high right now. Hes looking to cash in like he’s prime Hasek.

I’d let it play out into the regular season. If he’s not playing at a Vezina level, then it should be easier to find common ground around 11. Guy does deserve to be the highest paid goalie in the league, but not by leaps and bounds. I’d be happy to see him come in around high 10’s or even 11 flat. Beyond that I get a little nervous.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I was thinking about Trouba's list. Seven Canadian teams. Detroit. The Rangers and Wings discussed a deal which was leaked to the media. San Jose. The Goodrow move showed Drury and Grier can make Trouba the next SJ Shark without any compensation being sent to NY. Chicago. They signaled a desire to jump start the rebuild and had the space. Columbus. The Winnipeg of the U.S. That's 11 teams.
Winnipeg probably isnt on the list because theres 0% chance they would reacquire him - frees up another slot on the NTC for Trouba to be strategic

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If he has his heart set on $13MM, let his agent talk to other teams. He will quickly find out there’s a not a flush market at that price. And if he finds a taker, let that team deal with Drury.

only problem is that team doesn't need to deal with drury. they can just wait a year and get him for nothing if the rangers aren't willing to match that price and another team will

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
PP1 next year ought to be:

Kreider
Laf
Panarin
Fox
Kakko
Kakko? What is he a “Make a Wish” kid? Obviously Zibanejad will be there. Like it or not. The goal of the PP is not to give Kakko charity points.

have this weird feeling in the back of my mind we're going to dangle Lafreniere for Tkachuk because Alexis doesn't want to be in the states long-term and it's going to line up perfectly with Brady officially asking out of Ottawa.
Did Lafreniere say or imply this?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is your definition of “overpaid”. My definition is above fair market value. Considering we werent the highest bidder or even 2nd highest for that matter, that is by definition not overpaid.

Market value is what you are worth. If a team pays $1M less than market value then you are not "overpaid" regardless of what YOU think he's worth which is absolutely not the point of this discussion.

Yeah, I get it. You think he sucks in the playoffs blah blah blah.

He's been a 1st or 2nd team All Star, that's top 4 wings in the league, 3 out of 5 years he's been a Ranger.

Auston Mathews? Twice in an eight year career.
MacKinnon? 3 times in 11 years
Barkov? Never
Pastrnak? 3 in 10
Marner? 2 in 8
Tkachuk (Matthew)? 2 in 8
Panarin? 4 in 9. 3 in 5 as a Ranger

Yeah, he's elite. Not overpaid no matter how you're looking at. Possibly the best UFA signing in New York Sports history and certainly in Rangers history.

This discussion is just dumb.

The above, IN A VACUUM, is not unreasonable as to "market value".
Howev, we must be honest about the entirety of the equation.

The contract is for the entirety of all games played, not just in season ones, including pre and post season.
While he has returned to excelling this past season [after a yr or 2 of being ordinary], he has remained invisible post season. That true and legit hit on his overall performance needs to be factored in, and not ignored.

But setting that aside, there is another recognized economic principle: opportunity cost.
Guys like Kreider, Tro, Chytil, are great value because of production AND the salary #.
When that # is not high, it creates salary cap room sufficiently ample enough to seek a quality add.
When it is high, regardless of production, it does not afford a quality add.

Fox is in the middle; high production at all times, but at 9.5, costs so much that it restricts, to the point of prohibiting, quality adds.

Conclusion: bread delivers in season, but IS overpaid compared to other stars

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
have this weird feeling in the back of my mind we're going to dangle Lafreniere for Tkachuk because Alexis doesn't want to be in the states long-term and it's going to line up perfectly with Brady officially asking out of Ottawa.
I would make that trade in a heartbeat if we could afford Tkachuk . I think there is about 5- 6 ? Million more in cap that we would need to fit n this season. Tkachuk would make us a better club IMO . It is like year 5 ? and we still do not use Laf on his natural wing or PP1 nor has he been overly consistent game in and out for a proposed superstar . Now he will command actually even more money than Tkachuk who gives his all on every shift and leaves nothing on the ice at the end of every game .

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would make that trade in a heartbeat if we could afford Tkachuk . I think there is about 5- 6 ? Million more in cap that we would need to fit n this season. Tkachuk would make us a better club IMO . It is like year 5 ? and we still do not use Laf on his natural wing or PP1 nor has he been overly consistent game in and out for a proposed superstar . Now he will command actually even more money than Tkachuk who gives his all on every shift and leaves nothing on the ice at the end of every game .

We likely wouldn't use Tkachuk on his "natural wing" or PP1 either.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I start the season without signing Shesterkin if I'm Drury. Make Shesterkin have another Vezina caliber season to prove he's worth what he's asking for. If he has a so-so regular season like he did last year (remember that brutal stretch from January to February when he couldn't make a save), it's going to be tough for him to persist with his elevated demands.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Winnipeg probably isnt on the list because theres 0% chance they would reacquire him - frees up another slot on the NTC for Trouba to be strategic

Do you think he'd chance that? I don't, and I think given how Trouba is in the community and the fact Winnipeg needs d I don't think he'd risk that.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I start the season without signing Shesterkin if I'm Drury. Make Shesterkin have another Vezina caliber season to prove he's worth what he's asking for. If he has a so-so regular season like he did last year (remember that brutal stretch from January to February when he couldn't make a save), it's going to be tough for him to persist with his elevated demands.

And then what? The cap goes up another 3 or 4 mill and we have to pay him 14 mill for 8 years then? Theres tons of teams that will line up to give him what he wants. The solution isn't waiting its doing it now and showing him a fair offer and a path to competing for the cup where he needs to leave a little on the table in exchange for a better roster around him and a long term deal. Tell him at 10 mill he's fairly paid and they can work other players into the mix. With the cap going up 10 or 11 mill will look like 7 or 8 in no time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And then what? The cap goes up another 3 or 4 mill and we have to pay him 14 mill for 8 years then? Theres tons of teams that will line up to give him what he wants. The solution isn't waiting its doing it now and showing him a fair offer and a path to competing for the cup where he needs to leave a little on the table in exchange for a better roster around him and a long term deal. Tell him at 10 mill he's fairly paid and they can work other players into the mix. With the cap going up 10 or 11 mill will look like 7 or 8 in no time.
I seriously doubt that

Reactions: Guyute

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m so tired of these asinine declarations.

“I will trade Igor if he commands anything north of 10…”

That very same video game dynasty mode asshat will then support trading for a mediocre contract…Does having an 11.5M goalie create tighter space? You bet, and given some of our reckless tendencies to fill spots with bullshit, I welcome that.

Be thankful we have the best.

Now go send Trouba to the moon for a nice return and let’s f***ing go.
The other video game dynasty mode asshat will be complaining about the cap and the bad contracts signed by their favorite team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree that they can start the season before signing him. How much more is he going to ask for should he start off well? I think the number they have in their head (Shesterkin and his agent) isn't going to change much. You can't just trade him because he's not signed right now. There's no rush. You can start the season and see what regular season Shesterkin you're getting before making that a very high north of 10m cap per year. What you can't do is obviously finish the season without signing him should he be playing like a top 3 goalie during the season

Reactions: Guyute

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We don't have enough horses to win.
Every trade is dif, but here consolidating surrendering too many useful pieces, even best case scenario Tkac fits and excels, which is not a given, is 111% def reduction of current depth, which is not good.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
only problem is that team doesn't need to deal with drury. they can just wait a year and get him for nothing if the rangers aren't willing to match that price and another team will

The team that wants him can wait, and risk losing a chance at him if Drury decides tge numbers don't fit his vision and trades him to another team.

I'm at 10x8.

12.5/13 is crazy talk.

Curious to see what the opinions are here if/ when someone puts up a poll.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Not reading the last 5 pages of this abomination thread but you guys have inspired me to quickly construct my all time Rongos team:

Marcel Hossa - Olli Jokinen - Krav

Enver Lisin - Scott Gomez - Nigel Dawes

Tanner Glass - SC Champ Brett Howden - Sjostrom

Brendan Smith - Cory Locke - Aaron Voros

Roszival - Redden

Kotalik - Bickel

Staal - Girardi (2019)

Brendan Smith

Ah, shit I forgot Kotalik was a winger but I’m keeping this as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad