Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
An easier way to think about it is 1/2 their game check income escapes state income taxes while the other half (road games) will be subject to same, at statutory rates. So your math is generally correct assuming that’s their only source of income. Gets trickier for the dual country residents or guys here on visas.

This was Derek Jeter’s fight with New York State/City for pretty much the entirety of his Yankee career because he owned a place in Manhattan as well as his, um, ‘house’ in Tampa. IIRC Jeter eventually beat them clean.
I tried to simplify and even be a bit conservative on the state detriment for home games and items outside of players control like other sources of income and where they’re earned that an experienced accountant can help with.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There have been many comments from agents saying there are things they can do to mitigate the difference yet everytime it's brought up you just have fans/media taking the state income tax rate and multiplying it by the salary to show the difference which is very clearly incorrect.
Star players with big contracts have the means to do it. Players who are not making that much (relatively speaking), their options might be limited. But this only really comes up when star players sign these contracts.

Newsflash for Toronto fans: you are not paying Mitch Marner, John Tavares and William Nylander 11M because of the taxes. It's because you overpaid, simple as that. You suck at negotiating.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Let’s get crazy and throw out a completely unrealistic fantasyland proposal that will get everyone mad

Igor and Kreider to Carolina
Necas, Nikishin, and Kochetkov to the Rangers

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I was thinking about Trouba's list. Seven Canadian teams. Detroit. The Rangers and Wings discussed a deal which was leaked to the media. San Jose. The Goodrow move showed Drury and Grier can make Trouba the next SJ Shark without any compensation being sent to NY. Chicago. They signaled a desire to jump start the rebuild and had the space. Columbus. The Winnipeg of the U.S. That's 11 teams.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I was thinking about Trouba's list. Seven Canadian teams. Detroit. The Rangers and Wings discussed a deal which was leaked to the media. San Jose. The Goodrow move showed Drury and Grier can make Trouba the next SJ Shark without any compensation being sent to NY. Chicago. They signaled a desire to jump start the rebuild and had the space. Columbus. The Winnipeg of the U.S. That's 11 teams.
If his wife has to stay in NY it might be more geographically oriented - could simply be the furthest 15 from NY.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

7 Canadian team, San Jose, Utah, Seattle, Chicago, Columbus, Detriot, Anaheim and Buffalo would be my guess.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
To be completely fair, even though Shesh contract will start 1 year earlier (age wise), he should not get much more then Hellebuyck (7 years $8.5M). Hellebuyck arguably has the better resume with 2 Vezina trophies.
Who would you rather have for one game?

Official hint: Ain't Hellebucyk

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Flawed logic. Just because someone else was willing to throw more money at him to fail in the playoffs doesn’t mean they valued him correctly as well.

Panarin is not the elite, game breaking talent that his contract warrants. He’s a very, very good regular season performer who plays a relatively important position that can’t carry over his production into the playoffs. Having that much cap allocated to that player is one of the main reasons why this team doesn’t win.

What? He took less to play here so it was at a “discount”.

Panarin is not “elite, game breaking talent” ? He’s a 1st or 2nd team all star ( meaning top 4 wings in the league) in 3 out of 5 years as a Ranger. The very definition of “elite”.

He’s not the reason the team doesn’t win. The defense is.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's really 17 teams. You don't put the Islanders or Devils on that list. Rangers don't normally do business with either.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If he could play rw, I feel like this is a guy we should be all over

He can but you gotta move out salary to get him, plus a lot of assets. Is he the kind of guy you trade Perrault for? Cus that's most likely the ask. I wouldn't. I like him but unless Zib is going back for him it's unlikely to happen.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Who would you rather have for one game?

Official hint: Ain't Hellebucyk
I would obviously take Shesty and I think he's the best goalie in the league.

He's not multiple millions better than Hellebuyck, Sorokin, Saros, Vasilevsky etc. The gap between the elite goalies is not that big, and the position by default is so unpredictable and unstable. Even Shesty has had some struggles at times.

There is no justification for +10M dollar contract. If we were following the Vasilevsky/Bobrovsky pre-covid pattern, then maybe. But three recent goalie contracts (Sorokin, Saros, Hellebuyck) have been well under 10M.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Lets not try and pretend we got some sort of a bargain for Panarin. What did he sign the 3rd highest contract in history at that time? He isn’t a McDavid and was overpaid but that was how we got him to play here.
Stop. Panarin couldve went multiple other places for more money. He was never overpaid. Hes the best ufa signing in franchise history, one of the best in NY sports history. Its incredibly rare top free agents come here and produce at a high level, let alone a top tier level like he has

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
He’s not the reason the team doesn’t win. The defense is.
10000%

McDavid hasn't won? He ain't elite? Matthews? Everything starts and ends with defense. If we had 2 real PMDs the Rangers would be actual contenders and Panarin and Zib would have good 5v5 numbers.

Reactions: FUZfan

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
With the slavkofsky contract at 8 years $60 mill we all realize laffs agent is demanding 6 years $55.35 mill or he aint signing.

Its an easy convo for his agent.

Agent: We took a sweetheart deal at 2 X $2.325 we want to simply just make the same deal an inferior player in slavkofsky made over 8 years which brings us to 6 years $55.35 million ($9,225,000 cap hit).

Drury: no that cap hit is too high

Agent: Okay well if you dont want to sign we’ll go to arbitration and then be 1 year away from UFA after the one year arb case settles. Your call, you couldve signed laff for 8 years like every other #1 overall pick does after their ELC and had him at a $7.5 cap hit.

Drury: alright, damn you have a point here. 6 X $9,225,000 it is.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Stop. Panarin couldve went multiple other places for more money. He was never overpaid. Hes the best ufa signing in franchise history, one of the best in NY sports history. Its incredibly rare top free agents come here and produce at a high level, let alone a top tier level like he has
He was overpaid. Stop thinking otherwise. That’s how you get a star foward to sign. He didn’t sign for any discount to play here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It doesn’t matter. Simple as that

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He was overpaid. Stop thinking otherwise. That’s how you get a star foward to sign. He didn’t sign for any discount to play here.

He could've got more from the Islanders and took less. That's the beginning and end of the "overpaid" conversation.

If he could play rw, I feel like this is a guy we should be all over

I feel like we should be all over him because MY last name is Keller and that would be a justified jersey purchase x1000% to my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad