Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
That's snowflake shit but people losing their shit because people use "rags" as a short for Rangers not knowing it's original use is not snowflake shit?

Never said it wasn't. Rags is used by other teams to be derogatory towards us, that's why we're not supposed to use it. Although this team is one shitty ass bumbaclot. They don't use Rongos to shit on us, that just us.

Who is we?

It’s just stupid. The word itself even sounds stupid. Rongos, Mongo. It sounds immature and dopey. Every time the team doesn’t do what you want - whether realistic or not - “It’s the Rongos again!” Often in revisionist history.

Do I care enough to “call someone out” or make an issue of it? No. Do I roll my eyes when I see it? Yes.

To each his own.

I mean really, aren't you just arguing pro-Rongos here. One of the reasons it fits, is the f***ing immature and dopey way this org went about most of its business these past seasons, and it's getting called out accordingly.

Where was this argument the past decade? Nobody gave a f***, now couple of folks get in a hissy-fit for no reason. Too much time on hand I guess.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Never said it wasn't. Rags is used by other teams to be derogatory towards us, that's why we're not supposed to use it. Although this team is one shitty ass bumbaclot. They don't use Rongos to shit on us, that just us.

I mean really, aren't you just arguing pro-Rongos here. One of the reasons it fits, is the f***ing immature and dopey way this org went about most of its business these past seasons, and it's getting called out accordingly.

Where was this argument the past decade? Nobody gave a f***, now couple of folks get in a hissy-fit for no reason. Too much time on hand I guess.

Almost no one uses Rags anymore to shit on us. It's not 1997. Also, it's worse that our own fans use Rongos.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Buffalo is just about the dumbest team in professional sports so you can't use them to measure value.

McLeod was on a team that did pretty well and profiles as a "gamer."

Buffalo probably have themselves convinced the core is in place and they need whatever nonsense intangibles now. It's not in place. You losers can't win 40 games.

I say the same thing about Ottawa. "Oh but they have so much talent." At what point do we re-evaluate that?
Buffalo hired Sam Ventura, maybe the third most preeminent analytics “guru” in the NHL behind Dubas and Tulsky. Ventura left his hometown team Pittsburgh so he could guide a rebuild from the foundation up. He’s a smart dude.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Buffalo hired Sam Ventura, maybe the third most preeminent analytics “guru” in the NHL behind Dubas and Tulsky. Ventura left his hometown team Pittsburgh so he could guide a rebuild from the foundation up. He’s a smart dude.
The Rangers have analytics people too and still use Lindgren as a 2D.

He's one voice in a room filled with people that have built a lead balloon.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The Rangers have analytics people too and still use Lindgren as a 2D.

He's one voice in a room filled with people that have built a lead balloon.
1720224807785.gif

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Everyone has always known that Lindgren was to Fox what Blackwell was to Panarin.

In the certain right instances players can perform above their station if they partner well and complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Fox was not 100% for most of the season which didn't help. But it is also evident that a partnership that was good enough for a 2nd round team is not good enough for a championship roster. At his peak, Lindgren was a #4 on a top team. Conservatively, I'd use him like we did Steve Eminger and Kevin Klein here- a #5 who is the first guy up when someone in the top 4 is injured.

But a lot of this is about matchups and what pairings match with what forward lines. Fox plays well with the Panarin line. To be honest, for O zone shifts , I think Jones is the partner. Lindgren killed too many good offensive shifts because he really doesn't have passing, shooting, or puckhandling in his repertoire.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
How? I can't blame Trouba for not submitting his NTC before it was due. If anything blame the league, or the GM who signed the contract, for giving no buffer between when the NTC was due and when FA began.
I’ve been waiting for someone to bring this up. I assume the clauses have to be tied to the new league year for some reason, but it makes no sense from a planning perspective to not demand to have clarity at least several days (if not weeks) in advance of the start of FA. How do you run a team like that?

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Yea I'm not sure how that's determined but you'd think there should be a bit of a gap between the two dates to give the GMs a little bit of time to do their job.
I guess you could say the "Bit of the gap" is in the wording -- namely the list has to be in no later than July 1 (rather than list must be handed in on July 1). However, I am a bit curious why the submission date wasn't made earlier. Something tells me the NHLPA had a lot to do with the July 1 date being chosen.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zegras would be mildly annoying because like, get one forward with really strong 5v5 analytics besides Kreider just once please.

That being said, if they go into next season with Lindgren and Trouba in the top 4, I really wouldn't care if they got prime Gretzky.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And the difference here is mcd did not have an outstanding personal situation.

If trouba's family didn't have the current situation that they do then I am all with you, but they do so it's an added factor.

And his fully contract at this point is a borderline albatross, that's part of why I don't see anyone claiming him if he was waived.
That’s irrelevant. That’s a personal issue. We don’t know what McDonoughs reasons were, they could have been just as personal, they were certainly important to McDonough, and they still don’t really matter. He didn’t want to go (for whatever reason), he was “strong armed” into going, and he STILL came back. And no one was super shocked or outraged. It’s a business.
Whether Trouba is an albatross to other teams is variable on a case by case basis. There are two possibilities here: either all of this Trouba to Detroit and the “shitstorm” around it is all made up…. In which case all of this drama is completely moot, OR Detroit wanted him. So obviously they didn’t consider him and his contract the albatross it is for NYR.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So a nickname for the Rangers used with no bad intention is worse than one used with bad intention?
I don't care what the intention is when it's used. It was created with bad intention. It's an anti-Rangers slur that's not used by Rangers fans.

You can't compare that to what Rangers fans call the team. It's their own team.

Likewise, you don't have to like what other Rangers fans call the team, and feel free to state your case.

You still can't compare that to the other word. I won't even use it. It is effectively banned on the Rangers board and we've lobbied many times to have it banned on the site.

Every mod that I've ever known on here has taken this stance.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
So a nickname for the Rangers used with no bad intention is worse than one used with bad intention?
What do you clean up dirty things and messes with? What can be associated with dirty/tattered/disheveled clothing? The saying isn't "Rangers to riches" and it's not really a stretch to imagine that the saying heavily implies that Rangers jerseys are rags meant to clean shit up with. f*** using that as "shorthand" - "NYR" and "rags" are the same number of keystrokes. NYR is less if you don't capitalize the "R" in Rags.

Rags is "derogatory" as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same vein as Debbies/Piles/Flygirls/Shittsburgh - a negative/vulgar riff on the team name/city. I've just thrown my hands up at this point because apparently no one else sees it the same way and "it's just a nickname." But it's a derogatory nickname that is passed off as just a "regular" nickname somehow and I've never seen an actual logical/rational reason as to why "Rags" isn't seen as one.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What do you clean up dirty things and messes with? What can be associated with dirty/tattered/disheveled clothing? The saying isn't "Rangers to riches" and it's not really a stretch to imagine that the saying heavily implies that Rangers jerseys are rags meant to clean shit up with. f*** using that as "shorthand" - "NYR" and "rags" are the same number of keystrokes. NYR is less if you don't capitalize the "R" in Rags.

Rags is "derogatory" as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same vein as Debbies/Piles/Flygirls/Shittsburgh - a negative/vulgar riff on the team name/city. I've just thrown my hands up at this point because apparently no one else sees it the same way and "it's just a nickname." But it's a derogatory nickname that is passed off as just a "regular" nickname somehow and I've never seen an actual logical/rational reason as to why "Rags" isn't seen as one.
It isn't seen as one because the admins keep ignoring us on this issue. They know better about how Rangers fans should feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad