Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fabbro could be available

Fabbro is Trouba's replacement for this season

If Trouba really won't accept a trade to a team not on his list, the Rangers could terminate the contract

Nashville makes sense as a destination for Trouba if they can actually work with him to move. Glass, Lauzon, Fabbro @ $2.5m, $2m and $2.5m each. The Rangers acquire Glass and one of the d-men. Nashville has a really interesting approach. They're rebuilding and they added a ton of picks to backfill their farm system but at the same time, they have used free agency to fill their roster with proven NHL talent that should propel them to win.

What I am interested to see is whether, at this years deadline, they decide to both buy and sell at the same time like they did last year with Trenin out and then Zucker in.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nashville makes sense as a destination for Trouba if they can actually work with him to move. Glass, Lauzon, Fabbro @ $2.5m, $2m and $2.5m each. The Rangers acquire Glass and one of the d-men. Nashville has a really interesting approach. They're rebuilding and they added a ton of picks to backfill their farm system but at the same time, they have used free agency to fill their roster with proven NHL talent that should propel them to win.

What I am interested to see is whether, at this years deadline, they decide to both buy and sell at the same time like they did last year with Trenin out and then Zucker in.
15 team no trade list. 16 teams to work with. Just find one team and if Trouba says no, terminate the contract.

7 Canadian teams and Detroit. That's 8. 7 U.S. based teams remaining. He can't block a trade to every team. That's his contract. This nonsense about him refusing to report to the team trading for him doesn't make sense.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
15 team no trade list. 16 teams to work with. Just find one team and if Trouba says no, terminate the contract.

7 Canadian teams and Detroit. That's 8. 7 U.S. based teams remaining. He can't block a trade to every team. That's his contract. This nonsense about him refusing to report to the team trading for him doesn't make sense.
this! thank you.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny

No teams want him now that he made it clear he doesn't want to play for anyone else. Why would other teams give up assets for a guy who might not even suit up?

Miller1983

Jun 22, 2019
I thought the 15 team no trade slides to next year because his wife didn't graduate and that this year he is still a full no trade. Did I read that wrong or was that just speculation from the Post article?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I thought the 15 team no trade slides to next year because his wife didn't graduate and that this year he is still a full no trade. Did I read that wrong or was that just speculation from the Post article?
There is only one Ranger poster who believes that to be true.

It has been widely reported that Trouba was asked for his 15 team list days before it was due. Not a year+ before it was due.

Trouba currently has a 15 team NTC.

His NMC is no longer in effect.

Again:

I don't believe it works like that.

We can't terminate his contract. The new team (where he would fail to report) would have to terminate his contract.

So the trading team would have to trade for him with assets, and then go through the termination procedures which would only happen when Trouba failed to report in the fall. So that team would be out assets, and would be handcuffed until the contract is terminated.

No team is going to do that if there is even the remote chance that Trouba fails to report.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
Is it possible for a team to trade a conditional pick for Trouba based off games played? For example if they are really concerned he won't report they could trade a 5th but if he plays X amount of games it turns into a 2nd?

I feel like certain conditional picks weren't allowed in the new CBA, but not sure if this would be.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What is this whole argument? We always called ourselves Rongos, when we played like shit or FO did stupid things. It was a meme on this board ffs.

The derogatory term not to be used is Rags. Tbf that's what other teams call us, but again Rongos was an established term around here.

The question is should we be calling this team Rongos? It's pretty blatantly derogatory. It's used in derogatory ways. Rags on this board is almost exclusively used in a non-derogatory way.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You did not say for the rangers he's an albatross, you made an absolute statement that the entire league can see he's an albatross.

You are imposing a double standard. Whatever nyr does within the legal constraints is okay but it's not okay for a player to refuse to report and then forfeit his contract?

At the end of the day the real issue here isn't trouba bc if he forfeited his contract a lot of people would be happy to get him and the entire deal gone. The issue is he's willing to take things to that point and it appears nyr has no interest with the negative PR of pushing things to that point otherwise they would just do it.

You think there wasn't any behind the scenes discussions with the bolts, press, and MCD before he went back? Come on...

Maybe they were? And maybe a player said that they didn't want to come to NYC and play for the rangers. I know that's hard for people to grasp but it happens...
Obviously I’m saying he’s an albatross to the team that’s looking to move him, the NYR. Since we were talking about how outsiders might view the NYR for the way they deal with it. Or maybe not obviously enough. So consider my reply a clarification.
It’s not a double standard at all. I’ve said repeatedly that (short of the “he won’t report” rumors) Trouba’s camp is within their rights, even if acting in bad faith. My point is that NYR would ALSO be within their rights and NOT acting in bad faith. I don’t know what anyone else has been saying, but that is not my responsibility.
I’m sure there was plenty of discussion, AFTER WHICH McDonough WENT BACK. Thats the bottom line. There wasn’t even irreparable damage with McDonogh and his agent themselves, never mind outside observers. Has Tampa had any blackballing problems signing free agents since they forced McDonogh out? Nope. And neither would NYR by obvious logic.
The above is my opinion and it’s based in logic, but of course not absolute. We will never know unless it happens. I’m fine if you disagree bud. But there’s no double standards or even bad logic in what I’ve said.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think the thing RB is missing with regards to terminating Trouba's contract is that it's a business. He has the right to decline a trade to a team on his list. His agent can also attempt to tank his trade value. If his agent convinces other teams not to deal for him then his agent did a good job looking out for his client. Personally, they will be fine. The players like him. The coach likes him. He's a leader in the room. It's a business. They all understand.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don’t know how you can Smith a set piece while also saying he hopefully has a rebound year.

What is Smith even rebounding from? He scored 1.8 pts/60 last year with a 51.5 CF% and 53.1 xG%. Pretty similar numbers to what he always puts up. Oh what do you know he shot 8.6% good for the worst in his entire career. I'm sure he will be fine. With that normalized his stats would have been the same as ever.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Drury holds the trump card, not Trouba. If one of the 15 teams not on Trouba’s list wants to trade for him but Trouba prevents a trade by refusing to report, Drury should put him on waivers.

The threat of playing for San Jose if claimed or Hartford if not claimed ought to scare Trouba into accepting the trade.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If Trouba really won't accept a trade to a team not on his list, the Rangers could terminate the contract
What team is going to even try to trade for him at this point? He’s already created an insane amount of drama and no team is going to bother trading for a guy who may or may not show up, and if he does won’t be happy.

The ship has sailed, Trouba’s antics worked great for him and he f***ed the team over. Guy should be booed everytime he touches the puck at MSG.

Drury holds the trump card, not Trouba. If one of the 15 teams not on Trouba’s list wants to trade for him but Trouba prevents a trade by refusing to report, Drury should put him on waivers.

The threat of playing for San Jose if claimed or Hartford if not claimed ought to scare Trouba into accepting the trade.
Again, NOBODY is going to want to trade for him after the shit he pulled. It’s not worth their time, it’s not like he’s some elite defenseman that some front offices might overlook and hope he actually shows up and actually plays like he wants to be there. Detroit moved on and spent their cap on Kane and Tarasenko after the Trouba drama.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

Trouba can only refuse to report in the fall. Not in the summer.

Trouba can NOT block a trade to a team not on his list.

Trouba CAN refuse to report to the new team in the fall.

So again... why would a team give up assets and handcuff themselves with Trouba?

Trouba will report to the Rangers and can not block a trade. So again, the Rangers can't terminate his contract for failure to report, because he WILL report to the Rangers.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
No teams want him now that he made it clear he doesn't want to play for anyone else. Why would other teams give up assets for a guy who might not even suit up?
Yes. Plus the Rangers were in the final 4. Why would any team help them by giving them an opportunity to get out from this contract? Trouba being here is a problem that no team is going to help us solve.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the thing RB is missing with regards to terminating Trouba's contract is that it's a business. He has the right to decline a trade to a team on his list. His agent can also attempt to tank his trade value. If his agent convinces other teams not to deal for him then his agent did a good job looking out for his client. Personally, they will be fine. The players like him. The coach likes him. He's a leader in the room. It's a business. They all understand.

What part of a business is breaching contract?

This some snowflake shit right here.

That's snowflake shit but people losing their shit because people use "rags" as a short for Rangers not knowing it's original use is not snowflake shit?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
this is what's ruining our nation. stay sober. stay alert.
IMG_0845.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad