Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We supposedly have all these prospects that people keep clamoring for so why not? We need some of them to come up and play well and continue to improve, If not then how are you supposed to build a team?
Because when they don't, it stuffs everything else up (see neither of KK or Krav grabbing a top-6 spot after the Buch trade as an example).
You wait for them to push others out by giving them opportunity, but you don't rely on it happening and leave holes in your roster to accommodate.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom-Carrick-Vesey/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

That's not the abomination people are making it out to be. It's a better forward group and deeper than we went into last season with. The D hasn't changed, let's just hope they pair them properly.

I'd still like to see a splash. Lindgren and Kakko for what? A LD? Maybe Zegras? That would be fun. Colton? Theodore? Maybe someone we haven't thought of?

You're only not a winner until you are.
its not an "abomination" in the sense that its a very good roster and a team than will easily finish with over 100 points. But we're beyond that point. We wanted (and were told to expect) BIG moves to get over the hump. And we've done nothing.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
its not an "abomination" in the sense that its a very good roster and a team than will easily finish with over 100 points. But we're beyond that point. We wanted (and were told to expect) BIG moves to get over the hump. And we've done nothing.
Fair. But we were close. We were close with broken ankles and broken ribs and busted knees and a bottom 6 that couldn't keep up. We were also a lot younger than the other final 4, outside of Dallas. And they lost too.

I still would like to see a big swing with Kakko and Lindgren, but you don't know till you play the games.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Bring in Kubalik, Sprong, Barbanov, Zadina, Kylington and Boqvist in on 1 year $1M (can be buried) deals. Let them battle it out with Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Vesey, Carrick, Brodz, Mancini, Jones, Scanlin and Rempe.
Sprong is one of the least liked guys in the league and a complete locker room cancer. There is a reason he cant stick anywhere.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
What trade?

He won't go anywhere out of NYC

You're not going to get anything to help your team by trading him.

There's no one left to sign with any cap savings

The other thing is nyr doesn't have assets to trade for any sort of impact player if they unload trouba

So what's the point?
I guess the “point” is the FO gets three months to figure out how to spin this debacle into a winning slogan for next season- “No Quit in NY” to finally be replaced by…”Uncharted Waters.”

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Who told you to expect big moves? Larry Brooks? We made 2 additions this week and Smith will have a bigger impact than people think. We should also have a healthy Chytil and a better Kakko. Smith, Carrick, Jones, plus possibly 1 or 2 of Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, and Othmann should make the team. That's still a 25% turnover of the roster. The big deal hasn't happened but that will be difficult if Trouba isn't or can't be traded. The reality is they only have 6 mil to play with.

Reactions: leetch99

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Who told you to expect big moves? Larry Brooks? We made 2 additions this week and Smith will have a bigger impact than people think. We should also have a healthy Chytil and a better Kakko. Smith, Carrick, Jones, plus possibly 1 or 2 of Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, and Othmann should make the team. That's still a 25% turnover of the roster. The big deal hasn't happened but that will be difficult if Trouba isn't or can't be traded. The reality is they only have 6 mil to play with.
unless Miller has a huge bounceback ,the D is still terrible.

Also all we heard about after the season ended was there would be some big changes. Waiving Goodrow doesn't count as a big move in my book

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

That's not the abomination people are making it out to be. It's a better forward group and deeper than we went into last season with. The D hasn't changed, let's just hope they pair them properly.

I'd still like to see a splash. Lindgren and Kakko for what? A LD? Maybe Zegras? That would be fun. Colton? Theodore? Maybe someone we haven't thought of?

You're only not a winner until you are.
This is our team. The bolded are the only set pieces for a playoff run.

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider
-Zibanejad-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko

Miller
-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

Shesterkin
Quick

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
unless Miller has a huge bounceback ,the D is still terrible.

Also all we heard about after the season ended was there would be some big changes. Waiving Goodrow doesn't count as a big move in my book
They also tried to trade Trouba but when your agent tells potential teams you aren't going to report that kind of screws things up.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This is our team. The bolded are the only set pieces for a playoff run.

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider
-Zibanejad-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko

Miller
-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

Shesterkin
Quick

Smith won in Vegas. I think he is a set piece. Hopefully he has a rebound year here with more talented depth than the Penguins.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You all are making my mind melt with this arguing over if Rongos is derogatory or not. Throw up an OT poll thread and have it settled there. The answers can be Yes, No, Who gives a F.
It sounds dumb, and I seriously doubt other fanbases have negative nicknames for their own teams, but whatever. If a Devils fan joined in here calling them that people would get annoyed. To each his own though. Not worth getting bent about.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hindsight is 20/20, but I wasn't advocating one way or the other in my post whether they should've made the deal or not. The bottom line is when they didn't pursue Eichel, they were forced to sign Zib. They weren't forced to back themselves into a corner with no exit strategy, however. I hated that deal from the moment it was signed simply because of the NMC & the fact that it's buy-out proof.

Personally I wasn't sure if Eichel was the right move back then. Kakko & Laf were still too much of an unknown & it was much too soon to know what you had (or in Kakko's case didn't have) with either of them. Giving one of them up was too big of risk at that point in time. Considering what Vegas ultimately gave up, Buffalo might've demanded both of them from us, plus an additional 1st rounder (2 total) simply cause it's the Rangers Tax.
Plus it sounded very possible that post injury Eichel could become post concussion Lindros. Are people forgetting what a question mark that was? I was on the fence. I get why they didn’t do it. He was also making 10 million if I remember correctly with a reputation of being a malcontent.

Nice of everyone now to say they would have just traded all our guys who busted, then traded Zibby for a haul. “Oh, it would’ve been Kakko, Kravtsov, and Jones! A no brainer!”

If I remember correctly the board was 60% or 70% against. Of course that also comes with the usual few who really push it, but keep saying they’d only offer really light unrealistic packages.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It is. The post where I'm referring to me, amazingkreids, jerseyjinx, etc... complaining about it was from May 2014 so it must've been circling around a bit before that to even get on our nerves. It's definitely before whatever you're describing above.
Both are negative and dumb for our own fanbase to use. This team just went to the ECF, they aren’t Arizona (now Utah). I like Rongos less than Rags just because it sounds stupid.

I really think sizable moves were planned and Trouba threw a wrench into it. I really believing everything was contingent on moving old Jake the Snake. I think Smith was probably Plan Q.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
It sounds dumb, and I seriously doubt other fanbases have negative nicknames for their own teams, but whatever. If a Devils fan joined in here calling them that people would get annoyed. To each his own though. Not worth getting bent about.

What is this whole argument? We always called ourselves Rongos, when we played like shit or FO did stupid things. It was a meme on this board ffs.

The derogatory term not to be used is Rags. Tbf that's what other teams call us, but again Rongos was an established term around here.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Fabbro could be available

The other is Dante Fabbro, who signed a $2.5 million extension on March 8. He played in 56 games last season but only three of the team's six playoff games.

At the time, Fabbro's contract extension appeared to be a contingency plan in case the team couldn't re-sign Alex Carrier. With Carrier retained, Fabbro's role seems redundant.

Fabbro is Trouba's replacement for this season

If Trouba really won't accept a trade to a team not on his list, the Rangers could terminate the contract

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Up'm actually hopeful we don't anything too drastic. I can't handle lean years, i know we didn't win last year but watching exciting hockey late in the year was fun. With Othmann, Perrault, Berard, Sykora, Emery, Robertson, Garand around I'm hopeful they tweak but don't sacrifice the future. By the time Panarin and Mika ride off we should have those guys in their prime to take over along with anyone else we might draft. I know it's tempting to go all in but the reality is that going all in doesn't guarantee a cup and imo you have a better chance at a cup the more chances you give yourself to get one and backfilling this team with young players is the way to continue to ice a good team that can compete every year. I realize the d needs some work for the future but Fox, Miller, Schneider is a good base you can work with.

Reactions: majordomo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Plus it sounded very possible that post injury Eichel could become post concussion Lindros. Are people forgetting what a question mark that was? I was on the fence. I get why they didn’t do it. He was also making 10 million if I remember correctly with a reputation of being a malcontent.

Nice of everyone now to say they would have just traded all our guys who busted, then traded Zibby for a haul. “Oh, it would’ve been Kakko, Kravtsov, and Jones! A no brainer!”

If I remember correctly the board was 60% or 70% against. Of course that also comes with the usual few who really push it, but keep saying they’d only offer really light unrealistic packages.
The thing was, we were still loaded at wing.
Panarin/Kreider signed Laf in the system.
At the time it was a hefty package no doubt, but that’s what it would have taken to get a proven 24 yr old 90-100 pt game breaking center….
The injury def was the biggest factor.
Zibby playing well at the time also contributed to it……
The simple fact is, Drury/NYR are going to get another chance when Panarin/troubas cap hits are gone.
There will no doubt be a big time FA, or a disgruntled superstar in the age range were we looking for asking for a trade. It happens almost every 2-3 years…..
They can’t be gun shy to add that type of piece when the opportunity comes, especially if it’s a trade scenario again..
Even now, rumors that pinto/Zergas both aren’t happy and want out of their current situations.
Both are way less proven then Eichel, but the price to get them also won’t be as steep….
Zergas has proven he can put up points with high end skill as a 21-22 year old, be needs work on becoming a complete player….
Pinto has impressed all around, it remains to be seen what he can do in a larger role.
If they deem they don’t want either, fine. But if they do, they can’t miss another opportunity……
Say OTT misses the postseason again this year. It becomes common knowledge Tkachuk is unhappy….. it’s got to be full steam ahead.
oilers will likely move heaven and earth to keep mcdavid.
Will they be able to keep drai too?
Kaprizov will likely leave Minn for a bigger stage. He’s approaching UFA quickly, that’s an older team with too many question marks..
Whoever they identify, whoever that next potential gamebreaking target is, they can’t p***yfoot around anymore. They need to get a deal done.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I do actually think the problems with the Dcore are critically important to solve…and it’s not just about skill. Big and tall defense cores win Stanley cups/get to the finals. This is statistically true over the past several years and I do think a Dcore half comprised of Jones/Fox/Lindgren is simply too small. Lindgren has to move for a bigger player in my mind.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Fair. But we were close. We were close with broken ankles and broken ribs and busted knees and a bottom 6 that couldn't keep up. We were also a lot younger than the other final 4, outside of Dallas. And they lost too.

I still would like to see a big swing with Kakko and Lindgren, but you don't know till you play the games.
I mean... every team has injuries going through a long playoffs. Expecting a magical healthy run isn't a great idea.

We were fortunate in that Fox still played despite being injured, the Panarin line was largely uninjured, Zib and Kreider were healthy.

Swapping Gus out for Jones and Roslovic for Smith is a side-grade at best.

Fabbro could be available

Fabbro is Trouba's replacement for this season

If Trouba really won't accept a trade to a team not on his list, the Rangers could terminate the contract
I don't believe it works like that.

We couldn't terminate his contract. The new team (where he would fail to report) would have to terminate his contract.

So the trading team would have to trade for him with assets, and then go through the termination procedures which would only happen when Trouba failed to report in the fall. So that team would be out assets, and would be handcuffed until the contract is terminated.

No team is going to do that if there is even the remote chance that Trouba fails to report.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad