Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah, I honestly doubt there would be any damage. The entire league can see that Trouba is an albatross at his cap hit, everyone can see he is massively under performing his contract. A contract goes both ways, he engineered his list to make it difficult for the NYR, common knowledge now, IF his agent is putting it out there that he wont report to teams NOT on his NT list, nothing that NYR do will have a negative effect. His agent forced their hand. HE hired and pays his agent, HIS responsibility. THEY signed a contract allowing him to be traded in his last two years, his/family circumstances changing don't alter that. If NYR were hurting for cash would he give some back? f*** no. Trying to make the M-NTC both sides agreed to into essentially a NMC is on Trouba and his agent.

As far as the precedent, I think the poster was only talking about THIS team. f*** around and find out, as the kids say. Basically if it prevents UFA's from coming here who would have no qualms about being inflexible, or potentially underhanded, while underperforming the contract BOTH sides agreed to, all the better.
The start of this post is ridiculous. For over a week people on this board defiantly posted that if he was on waivers he would absolutely be claimed blah blah blah. Now "The entire league can see that Trouba is an albatross at his cap hit, everyone can see he is massively under performing his contract."

Holy hypocritical. Guess it depends the direction the wind is blowing around here.

At the end of the day it's his right to not report and to violate and forfeight his contract.

People are acting like athletes and agents don't have power and that's ridiculous. They have had it for decades behind the scenes and now it is coming to the fore more and people are getting mad. It's all over the NBA and NFL. Listen to former executives and they will acknowledge it only after they retire. It's what it is.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If the Blackhawks as an organization could survive the fiasco they created with Beach (WRT public image and general operations), the Rangers will be sitting pretty with a daquiri on the beach after moving on from a captain in a slightly-less-than-ideal situation. This will do absolutely nothing to the Rangers' reputation after this week, with casual/hardcore fans or with the actual players in the NHL.
Bringing up Kyle beach in the same vane as trouba is outrageous, but since you did I will ask you what happened to the executives that were tied to that fiasco? Pretty sure they were expunged from the league for quite awhile bc of pr above anything else (and that is sickening to me bc those guys should have been charged with negligence among other things).

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Dude players get emotional. It’s part of the business.
JAM just said Vegas didn’t do enough to keep him
Stamkos, another captain and better player said the same about his only beloved franchise
NYR have had their share too.
McD was crushed when Tampa moved him, now he’s excited to be back…..

It’s part of the business and it’s cold, but it still has to be done for the good of the hockey clubs…..
I’m sure his agent didn’t tell him around contract time, now Jake let’s take a team friendly deal and we’ll get a full NMc for the contracts entirety……
They make the most they can when they can. Unfortunately, the cap situation just doesn’t make sense for most guys to finish out the full deals they sign with the teams that gave them that contract.

They don’t take their ball and go home and say I quit… if I won’t play for another team for 2 years…..
Complete nonsense
Emotion isn't really part of good business from what I've seen/experienced. I think we're saying the same thing after stripping everything else away: Drury has to do what's best for the team, not what's best for Trouba or what will sit best with a player/their teammates' preferences.

Stamkos also captained his team to b2b Cups and a 3rd Cup final appearance in 3 years. He's got some room to be pissed that he was offered less than Alex Wennberg and Jason Zucker.

Reactions: leetch99

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's not about turning this into a management vs. players issue. The issue at hand is if Trouba has purposely been handcuffing the organization (outside of the M-NTC terms) in order to get his way. No single player should be more important than what is best for the organization. My loyalty will always be towards the Rangers.

We all understand being an athlete can be very difficult when it comes to family dynamics, but that's the tradeoff for making millions of dollars
Weird, it happens in the NFL, NBA and has been happening in hockey for years behind the scenes. If people didn't jump the gun and just assume this was going to happen then this would not be such a big deal. I warned people this deal wasn't happening prior to the reports from others to pump the brakes.

This board just got way too ahead on the idea of a deal and now this is the come down.We already went through the denial stage a few days ago and this is the anger stage. I wish we could just get to the acceptance stage already and move on...

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know there's a cut off your nose to spite your take but I think long term I'd rather buy out Trouba even if short term it's not beneficial. You just can't let a player circumvent the contract like that. Yesterday Tiki said "how many players' wives are in neuroscience?" That's not big picture thinking. Does it matter why a player doesn't want to leave NYC? What if someone is single and wants to live in NYC because he likes the city and then just tells teams he won't report? What's stopping him?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I know there's a cut off your nose to spite your take but I think long term I'd rather buy out Trouba even if short term it's not beneficial. You just can't let a player circumvent the contract like that. Yesterday Tiki said "how many players' wives are in neuroscience?" That's not big picture thinking. Does it matter why a player doesn't want to leave NYC? What if someone is single and wants to live in NYC because he likes the city and then just tells teams he won't report? What's stopping him?

The buyout window is closed. It may not even be possible pending Lindgren. And it just wastes cap space in the future for no reason.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Bringing up Kyle beach in the same vane as trouba is outrageous, but since you did I will ask you what happened to the executives that were tied to that fiasco? Pretty sure they were expunged from the league for quite awhile bc of pr above anything else (and that is sickening to me bc those guys should have been charged with negligence among other things).
Did the Blackhawks fold as an organization? No. Did that stop players from playing in Chicago? No. Didn't Quennville and a handful of other guys get cleared to re-enter the league? Yup. Wow, what a slap on the wrist - You can't have a job in this league..but only for a little bit. And now they'll be hired and all is forgiven and forgotten. So to answer your question, basically nothing happened to them except they had to change jobs for a bit while everything died down until people stopped caring.

The Rangers as an organization will live on past this extremely minor situation if another organization can survive something as actually serious as assault cover-up is the point I was making, not that Trouba exercising a clause in his contract is the same as assault. Wtf?

People wanted Quennville as this team's coach before Lavi was picked. No one in the league gives a shit after a while, that's the sad truth sometimes. A team trying to trade a player and that player exercising a clause in his contract to not be traded is such a nothing story; what made it a story was that it was leaked to the media that everything was already done and dusted when it wasn't. Ultimately it will have zero impact on anything as far as players wanting to play for NYR.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
sign Kylington.

I'd go for a culture shift with a guy that could grab it by the balls... Get me Sloth Tkachuk. Perreault, Kakko and a 1st? is that enough for Ottawa? Trouba gone next offseason, if his wife allows it, to help with KAM, Laffy and Shesty raises.

Tkachuk Tro Laffy
Panarin Chytil Cuylle
Kreider Zibs Reilly

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Why is it slimy? It's being used as a reason to give him a forced NMC.

The article didn't bad mouth her, it just stated the reason why his family is more important than any other player who's ever been traded
I get your point, but my opinion is 1) post knows what they are doing 2) it doesn't add any value to me, it would be fine if it was hidden from me 3) encourages assholes

To add, the fact we knew this business about his wife before he even signed here was unnecessary. Sports and fandom are full of jerks.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
sign Kylington.

I'd go for a culture shift with a guy that could grab it by the balls... Get me Sloth Tkachuk. Perreault, Kakko and a 1st? is that enough for Ottawa? Trouba gone next offseason, if his wife allows it, to help with KAM, Laffy and Shesty raises.

Tkachuk Tro Laffy
Panarin Chytil Cuylle
Kreider Zibs Reilly

Kylington is the play. Pay him $1.3-1.5m and I heard he wants two years, fine. That’s 7D money for a guy, when healthy, who is easily a top-6 option and borderline top-4 if he rebounds. All for nothing but money.

Oh and if he plays up to the level he’s capable of that second year will be a steal.

Also, someone earlier said the team might be concerned with a defensive corps that adds Kylington and loses Lindgren because of the PK. All three RD, Fox Trouba and Schneider should PK. All they need is Miller to do it also with Kylington as a back-up should the need arise.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The buyout window is closed. It may not even be possible pending Lindgren. And it just wastes cap space in the future for no reason.
Then Lavi should just not play him until he is forced to take a deal out of here.

I genuinely hate Rags...i always got a laugh out of Rongos when the team goes Full Rong
Rongos always made me laugh too.

Reactions: DialUp

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Weird, it happens in the NFL, NBA and has been happening in hockey for years behind the scenes. If people didn't jump the gun and just assume this was going to happen then this would not be such a big deal. I warned people this deal wasn't happening prior to the reports from others to pump the brakes.

This board just got way too ahead on the idea of a deal and now this is the come down.We already went through the denial stage a few days ago and this is the anger stage. I wish we could just get to the acceptance stage already and move on...
Why should we move on when a single player is purposely hurting the team we support by handcuffing them because he refuses to act like an adult. He's been a liability for years and no amount of helmet throwing will make up for it. It's time to waive him and see how long he's willing to play in HFD. We'll see if his pampered ass enjoys playing there and visiting all the other amazing cities on the AHL circuit.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can support Trouba throughout this entire process. Look I am 100% supportive of not trying to force him to one of the 15 teams on the M-NTC, but if he and his agent are purposes sabotaging any chances of trading him to the other teams I wont accept that

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
sign Kylington.

Tkachuk Tro Laffy
Panarin Chytil Cuylle
Kreider Zibs Reilly
No, you are essentially doing a 1st, prospect, roster player deal. You will need to add top-X type of player, such as Schneider. Don't like that package, don't trade for another team's best player.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
How is it not beneficial in the short term? They’d have 4 million of space to trade/sign whatever is left in FA to replace him. It’s long term where the buyout hurts with the 2 mil dead cap

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Igor decision is all that matters now. If Drury gives in and offers 12+ he knows he’s going to be gone soon. If no contract, trade is the only option. Can’t walk to UFA.

I think and hope there is a happy medium. Not to put it on Igor, who actually deserves the money, but if being a Ranger is so important to these guys he will take less to help us win. I don’t begrudge him if he chooses not to.

Other than that it’s business as usual with next years team. The hope would be they come out trying to prove themselves but we’ll see. Drury needs to wait out the two cement shoes Gorton left him.

I read this in Gerard Gallant’s voice
I would hope that our GM is capable of having an honest and respectful enough conversation with our marquee players about the importance of leaving a bit of money on the table to ensure you can ice a competitive roster. What hurts your credibility is slugs like Trouba and Goodrow wasting cap space. I don’t think Igor is going to be shedding any tears when #8 horizontally faceplants into his boards for the last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad