Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
IMG_0079.png

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
We will not win a thing if Mika-Kreider-Panarin are our most counted on forwards in the playoffs ! Turk tried coddling them and they turned on him in the end and folded their tents . All 3 are darlings in the regular season to the Garden fans but once the playoffs start they vanish for the most part . They will not raise their compete level for the 16 wins that are needed .

So...you keep the trio and enjoy the regular season achievements and the points/blind passes via Panarin...the tip in goals by Kreider on the PP and the big slapper by Mika on the PP . It gets harder in the playoffs and unless you are willing to get down and dirty you will not win many corner/crease battles . Florida made us their BITCH in that regard . A guy like Kreider cannot go into a corner and finish in second place most times........that does not work in the playoffs . I don't give a Flying F*** how good his contract is !!! He was outplayed by Evan Rodriguez . He should be ashamed .

You want to fix this hockey club....then he goes first ! As long as he remains here the team culture will never change . It's not what many want to hear....but it is what it is .

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Again, you guys are missing the point.

If you want to think Kravstov is a baby then so be it. I’m talking about from an asset management and player management perspective, Drury dropped the ball. He knew Kravstov had reacted a certain way in the past and did the exact same thing that caused him to flee previously. Whilst in the middle of trying to move him, which cratered his value. Idk how anyone can say trading a top 10 pick for a 7th is anything but an unmitigated failure of asset and player management.

It’s the same concept here. We know Trouba and his agent acted a certain way to dictate where he was going to play trying to leave Winnipeg. It’s not like Trouba’s wife’s career is a f***ing secret. Drury should have known Trouba wasn’t going to be strong armed into doing something he doesn’t want to do.

And now there is egg all over the teams face
The mistake was drafting the useless Kravtsov. Once baby ran home everyone knew what he was. The GM can't bow to the tantrum throwing child. So out he goes. Who was going to give them anything since he was running home anyway.

Yeah, its time to waive his ass and call his bluff with HFD. Hopefully he refuses to report and we can terminate his ridiculous contract. I'm sure we can find a league minimum player who knows the basics on positioning and can be a good cheerleader in the locker room.
Hartford's too close to NY. Can we send him to the ECHL team?

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Here's a wild thought: if I'm a player, especially a captain, and I love my teammates and the city I play in, maybe I don't go out playing like dogshit because I don't want to incentivize the higher-ups to either trade me or buy me out.

Trouba can't be that thick to not have realized he was playing like excrement. And let's say that injury was a factor, if he didn't have only 2 braincells fighting for 3rd place, he should have known this was the year he has to give his list, he should have told both Lavy, the medical staff that he can't play the way he wants to.

But no: what we got was him going head first into the boards.

Trouba's not trying to suck. He just does naturally.

Also, as an aside, I don't see anyone dogging him for exercising his contractual rights (the L-NTC). It's the (potential/rumored) subversion of legal trades to teams that aren't on his list that's got people riled up.

It seems to me that doing so would be potential grounds for contract termination.

Reactions: Beer League Sniper

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
We can act like it's not true but for me where there's smoke there's fire. The timeline of how things played out with Trouba paired with the rather "meh" moves that have come since then proves to me that Drury's Plan "A" for this off-season was to cap dump Trouba and use that space to improve the team. This is now Plan "B" and it doesn't look that great to me.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The country club comments are weird. The Rangers didn't lose this year because of effort, they lost because they just weren't as good as Florida. And the biggest reason we weren't is because our d-men cannot move pucks for shit (specifically Trouba & Lindgren). Upgrading even one of them could have made a difference in that series.

I will say if both those guys are back next year, we are f***ed and there's no real reason to watch. It would be a shame because upgrading both of them to non-grenade handlers and a healthy Fox would make us real contenders.

I'm fairly confident Mika, Panarin & Kreids would have also had a better playoffs if they had anyone move them puck efficiently.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Igor decision is all that matters now. If Drury gives in and offers 12+ he knows he’s going to be gone soon. If no contract, trade is the only option. Can’t walk to UFA.

I think and hope there is a happy medium. Not to put it on Igor, who actually deserves the money, but if being a Ranger is so important to these guys he will take less to help us win. I don’t begrudge him if he chooses not to.

Other than that it’s business as usual with next years team. The hope would be they come out trying to prove themselves but we’ll see. Drury needs to wait out the two cement shoes Gorton left him.

We will not win a thing if Mika-Kreider-Panarin are our most counted on forwards in the playoffs ! Turk tried coddling them and they turned on him in the end and folded their tents . All 3 are darlings in the regular season to the Garden fans but once the playoffs start they vanish for the most part . They will not raise their compete level for the 16 wins that are needed .

So...you keep the trio and enjoy the regular season achievements and the points/blind passes via Panarin...the tip in goals by Kreider on the PP and the big slapper by Mika on the PP . It gets harder in the playoffs and unless you are willing to get down and dirty you will not win many corner/crease battles . Florida made us their BITCH in that regard . A guy like Kreider cannot go into a corner and finish in second place most times........that does not work in the playoffs . I don't give a Flying F*** how good his contract is !!! He was outplayed by Evan Rodriguez . He should be ashamed .

You want to fix this hockey club....then he goes first ! As long as he remains here the team culture will never change . It's not what many want to hear....but it is what it is .

I read this in Gerard Gallant’s voice

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The country club comments are weird. The Rangers didn't lose this year because of effort, they lost because they just weren't as good as Florida. And the biggest reason we weren't is because our d-men cannot move pucks for shit (specifically Trouba & Lindgren). Upgrading even one of them could have made a difference in that series.

I will say if both those guys are back next year, we are f***ed and there's no real reason to watch. It would be a shame because upgrading both of them to non-grenade handlers and a healthy Fox would make us real contenders.

I'm fairly confident Mika, Panarin & Kreids would have also had a better playoffs if they had anyone move them puck efficiently.
The first paragraph is perfect.

The second- I think it depends on how they are employed. If Lindgren-Trouba are playing only 13 ES minutes a game against less talented more physical players? If Jones and Schneider can take the next step IN THEORY it can work. It would just be an insanely expensive third pairing.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The mistake was drafting the useless Kravtsov. Once baby ran home everyone knew what he was. The GM can't bow to the tantrum throwing child. So out he goes. Who was going to give them anything since he was running home anyway.

Hartford's too close to NY. Can we send him to the ECHL team?
We absolutely can. Brilliant idea.
Glen Sather once sent John MacLean to
Manitoba.

How much are Utah HC season tickets ?
Over subscribed. Don’t quote me, but I believe Utah residents might have first dibs.

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The first paragraph is perfect.

The second- I think it depends on how they are employed. If Lindgren-Trouba are playing only 13 ES minutes a game against less talented more physical players? If Jones and Schneider can take the next step IN THEORY it can work. It would just be an insanely expensive third pairing.
This is what I think. While it’s not ideal and I’d rather he not be on the team, Trouba playing 3rd pair minutes isn’t the absolute end of the world. Miller needs to be much better too. Not sure why so many here have been willing to give him a pass. We know what Trouba is, Miller howeve has been a bit of a disappointment.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
We can act like it's not true but for me where there's smoke there's fire. The timeline of how things played out with Trouba paired with the rather "meh" moves that have come since then proves to me that Drury's Plan "A" for this off-season was to cap dump Trouba and use that space to improve the team. This is now Plan "B" and it doesn't look that great to me.
And Drury absolutely need to be on the hot seat this season. No excuses. Gallant got fired after back to back 100 point seasons while Drury gets a free pass for running back the same core year after year knowing the issues and not fixing them and pissing away picks? Amateur hour at MSG. 1 Cup in 85 years.

grachevsceiling

Jul 2, 2024
In a cap league, there’s going to be turnover year to year. Or there should be. If you’re running it back it’s probably because you’re doing it wrong (or maybe doing well by abusing LTIR I guess). It’s not like the rangers have no cap flexibility. They can drastically change the complexion of the team if they want to. Yes, even with Zib, Panarin, and (somehow) Trouba. Shesterkin is the most obvious way. Lindgren can be moved. Even guys that don’t seem to be part of the problem (eg. Miller, Schneider, Kreider) can be moved. The status quo is a choice by Drury, and I think it’s dumb. It’s not like this team, as presently constructed, hasn’t been given a chance. Sam Carrick and Reilly Smith can’t really be your “vision,” can it, Chris? Like, show us what you got man! It all feels really Connecticut tbh.

Reactions: Atax

ArPanet

May 3, 2012

Traded and then he becomes the player we always wanted to see here.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I don't think it's a "country club" but I do think this group of players is a bit too comfortable and confident in themselves as a group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad