Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It sets a precedence. Hey. If I threaten not to report I can sabotage every deal and control this organization. Cant let them happen. If you do that shit, off to Hartford you go. They sent Redden down. They can send Trouba down. In terms of replacements, they can figure it out.
Haha a precedent? Are you kidding? Who are you trying to convince about a power trip here.

You can't possibly think that kind of move won't actually hurt the organization in the long term. Players and agents would take notice of why it happened and saying f*** that place. If you think it wouldn't happen simply bc it's nyr then you're lost. People here don't want to hear it but there are many players that don't want to be in NYC.

Comparing trouba to redden is ridiculous. One guy was not an NHL player and the other is the captain of your team that you're having a tantrum about. Everyone here was sooo sure drury could just control the situation and send him to whoever wasn't on the NTC or waive him a "someone would definitely claim him." Oops, you all overplayed the hand like Drury.

Trouba and Kurt knew no team would touch this mess based on the family situation. Most rational people would understand the family situation and not ripping a dude from his wife and infant kid when there are literally no other options for the family. It's a no win situation for an acquiring team. Drury and other people could have avoided this all by just reading the room/situation a little bit.

Next summer is a different story.

Anyone have anything that might actually happen this summer worth discussing that might actually improve this team, bc right now this team looks like shit for camp. I hope there is something else being worked on besides hoping kakko pots 50

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Haha a precedent? Are you kidding? Who are you trying to convince about a power trip here.

You can't possibly think that kind of move won't actually hurt the organization in the long term. Players and agents would take notice of why it happened and saying f*** that place. If you think it wouldn't happen simply bc it's nyr then you're lost. People here don't want to hear it but there are many players that don't want to be in NYC.

Comparing trouba to redden is ridiculous. One guy was not an NHL player and the other is the captain of your team that you're having a tantrum about. Everyone here was sooo sure drury could just control the situation and send him to whoever wasn't on the NTC or waive him a "someone would definitely claim him." Oops, you all overplayed the hand like Drury.

Trouba and Kurt knew no team would touch this mess based on the family situation. Most rational people would understand the family situation and not ripping a dude from his wife and infant kid when there are literally no other options for the family. It's a no win situation for an acquiring team. Drury and other people could have avoided this all by just reading the room/situation a little bit.

Anyone have anything that might actually happen this summer worth discussing that might actually improve this team, bc right now this team looks like shit for camp. I hope there is something else being worked on besides hoping kakko pots 50
I dont think it will hurt this organization at all. The player will go to the team that will pay them the most. They wont avoid NY because of Trouba.
So from your stance, if a player has a family situation, they can threaten to not report to prevent any trade? Fine. They can do that. They can also go on waivers.

I'm not concerned about how Trouba feels. Im not concerned about how the players on the team feel. Theyll do their job. They want to win the Stanley Cup. They arent going to give up on the season because of this.

People will forget about this nonsense a year or 2 from now.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
I agree. Drury and Trouba will make a gentleman's agreement that next offseason they will work together to find a trade partner that works for both parties. All the other options like Hartford or using legal means to force him out would cause too much chaos.
I just want to understand what has he done to be coddled to this extent? He basically screwed WNP to force his way here and is again. Trying to screw another franchise in order to get his way.

Honestly I’m all for sending him down to HFD and calling his bluff. Redden was sent down years ago and the team didn’t completely implode

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
“Drury and other people could have avoided this all by just reading the room

Honestly, all the FAN rooms at least were pretty clear on what was wanted here. And of course Drury isn’t going to take any stock or spend any time on hockey blogs/comments. The only room he’s reading is his own.

Reactions: Atax

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014

Yes this is setting a precedent. You don’t think agents and players will notice when a player throwing a tantrum gets his way. It will render all M-NTC clauses worthless and essentially require all players agree to a trade beforehand, since they can just pull out the I won’t report card Trouba feels he has the right to use. Trouba seems to think he’s special and no player has ever has had to deal with difficult family dynamics when they are traded.

If trouba wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of being moved he should have taken less money for a full term NMC.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Yes this is setting a precedent. You don’t think agents and players will notice when a player throwing a tantrum gets his way. It will render all M-NTC clauses worthless and essentially require all players agree to a trade beforehand, since they can just pull out the I won’t report card Trouba feels he has the right to use. Trouba seems to think he’s special and no player has ever has had to deal with difficult family dynamics when they are traded.

If trouba wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of being moved he should have taken less money for a full term NMC.
Thank you.

I'd imagine most players will understand that this is a business, and being traded/put on waivers is apart of it. Will they look at this Trouba stuff, and go "Well, that probably could've been done better." Sure, maybe some. Not the ones he's elbowed in the face. But most will just roll their eyes and go about their day. And probably go "I'm making sure I get a NMC"

The NYR arent going to go "Oh hes threatening us, we better do what he says." Again. The threaten to no report is all speculation.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Bro, the concern is that he's blocking trades NOT in his list by telling teams that he will not report. In essence he is creating a full NTC rather than the partial one agreed upon in his contract. At least do some research.
How do we know any of that is true?

What's been made clear to me from this entire ordeal is that the sports media, the "beat writers", bloggers, Twitter influences, the entire lot of them don't have a shred of decency, respect, or dignity.

As fans we can whine and complain all we want to each other on a message board, that's fine. None of us are dangling supposed "credentials" or going into locker rooms.

These people went after Trouba and his family on a personal level and they should all be held accountable. I wouldn't let a single one of those clowns near the dressing room after this fiasco.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

The same team last year that had more question marks and everybody crying after they lost to the Devils had 114 point season and went to ECF. That was a season that saw them miss Kakko for 2 months, miss Chytil for all but 10 games, lose Fox for a month and have him injured in the playoffs. They also had the corpse of Bonino as 3C for 40 games, the corpse of Wheeler playing 1st line minutes before being moved down, Pitlick playing 4th line minutes, Goodrow scoring 4 goals, Lindgren having a bad year, Trouba playing top 4 minutes nearly all year etc. This years team will hopefully have a healthy Chytil, a better Kakko because he couldn't play any worse, additions of Smith and Carrick, Jones getting a real chance, Trouba relegated to 3rd pairing minutes if still here, Othmann, Berard, Rempe, and Edstrom pushing for roster spots as well. They also lost nobody of consequence aside from Gus who wasn't that great anyway. The team overall will be better and deeper than last year.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
So the top9 is set right? Then 4th line is some combo/rotation of Vesey, Berard, Edstrom, Carrick, Brodz, Rempe?

Kreider - Mika - Smith
Panarin - Tro - Lafreniere
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Reactions: Atax

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Blame Gorton.
Of course. But it’s not like Drury took over and immediately started making moves to demote/alienate Trouba so that moving him later on would be feasible. Drury named him captain and allowed the team to ride him like a shutdown top pair D tanking two cup runs in the process. You act like Drury had his hands tied and did all he could LOL. Drury thinks Trouba is in the “good but overpaid” category.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Of course. But it’s not like Drury took over and immediately started making moves to demote/alienate Trouba so that moving him later on would be feasible. Drury named him captain and allowed the team to ride him like a shutdown top pair D tanking two cup runs in the process. You act like Drury had his hands tied and did all he could LOL. Drury thinks Trouba is in the “good but overpaid” category.
I blame Gorton for the signing in the first place and the 8 mil per contract with NMC the first 4 years. Drury couldn't do a damn thing about moving him until this year which he tried to do as soon as it became a NTC. I have no problem with him being captain. The players respect and like him. A captain doesn't have to be the best player. Was it Drury or the coaches that kept playing him top 4 minutes? Lavy loved him and played him more than Fox at times. Drury at least saw the need to try to move him when the opportunity presented itself. Unfortunately you need 2 teams to make a trade and that is becoming more difficult with his agent and situation.

Reactions: Graves97

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How do we know any of that is true?

What's been made clear to me from this entire ordeal is that the sports media, the "beat writers", bloggers, Twitter influences, the entire lot of them don't have a shred of decency, respect, or dignity.

As fans we can whine and complain all we want to each other on a message board, that's fine. None of us are dangling supposed "credentials" or going into locker rooms.

These people went after Trouba and his family on a personal level and they should all be held accountable. I wouldn't let a single one of those clowns near the dressing room after this fiasco.

Well you're very opinionated about it and don't know any more than anyone else on this site, so...

If the guy is trying to circumvent his contract f*** him. I won't say anything about his wife, she doesn't play hockey but f*** him. I'm sure he won't be returning any of the money that he got by agreeing to end his NMC early in his contract. He basically stole money from the organization.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The same team last year that had more question marks and everybody crying after they lost to the Devils had 114 point season and went to ECF. That was a season that saw them miss Kakko for 2 months, miss Chytil for all but 10 games, lose Fox for a month and have him injured in the playoffs. They also had the corpse of Bonino as 3C for 40 games, the corpse of Wheeler playing 1st line minutes before being moved down, Pitlick playing 4th line minutes, Goodrow scoring 4 goals, Lindgren having a bad year, Trouba playing top 4 minutes nearly all year etc. This years team will hopefully have a healthy Chytil, a better Kakko because he couldn't play any worse, additions of Smith and Carrick, Jones getting a real chance, Trouba relegated to 3rd pairing minutes if still here, Othmann, Berard, Rempe, and Edstrom pushing for roster spots as well. They also lost nobody of consequence aside from Gus who wasn't that great anyway. The team overall will be better and deeper than last year.
There's something still missing. It's like a meal without a drink or only an entree. The depth is off. They literally have no 7D right now. It's bizarre, either no one wants to come here, or they want too much money. You'd think even like a Ruewedhl or Mahura or Klingberg on a prove it come back deal.

They're also one Chytil injury from Johnny Brodz being the 3C again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad