Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
There's no way shape or form any of this is Trouba's fault. Or his family's.

This is the fault of the Rangers front office and the media.

The player doing what's been agreed upon in contract is not the player's fault.

He blocked trades? Boo hoo. You agreed upon giving the player NMC and NTC in the contract. It's his contractual right.

Bro, the concern is that he's blocking trades NOT in his list by telling teams that he will not report. In essence he is creating a full NTC rather than the partial one agreed upon in his contract. At least do some research.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011

He blocked trades? Boo hoo. You agreed upon giving the player NMC and NTC in the contract. It's his contractual right.
No one has a problem with him using his 15 team NTC.
The Rangers arent at fault for attempting to trade someone. Thats within their right.
The issue people have is the no report threaten. (Speculation).
Put him on waivers if this is the case.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm sure you're right and maybe they will. If there's a team ready to sign Igor 8x12, then there's a team ready to give up significant assets for the chance to do so. But there wasn't a market for Hellebuyck and he signed for 8.5. We just saw what Markstrom got. Goalies just don't return much.

I think I was pretty obviously comparing him to Connor Hellebuyck. Igor is among the top goalies in the league. He certainly doesn't own that crown. Hellebuyck has just as strong a claim, if not a stronger one and he signed for 8.5.

Who are all these goalies getting over 10?

Carey Price signed for 10.5 for 14% of the cap in 2017.
Bobrovsky signed for 10 for 12.25% of the cap in 2019.

Those are the only two in history. Price was Price. Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, and OG. Bobrovsky was a 2x Vezina winner. Price had 500 games under his belt and 5 seasons where he played more games than Igor has ever played in a season.

The goaltending position is different now. Igor has never even played 60 games in a year. It was foolish to sign those two contracts when they happened, but at least the expectation was for those guys to play between 60-65 games a year. Not 50-55. You know who plays 60+ games consistently? Hellebuyck.
Vasilevskiy also is making 9.5 mil a year. As the cap goes up the dollars go up. 12% of a projected 90 mil cap next year is close to 10.8 mil. He's not making less than 10 million on his next contract no matter what people wish for.

Last edited:
Reactions: TominNC

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Vasilevskiy also is making 9.5 mil a year. As the cap goes up the dollars go up. 12% of a projected 90 mil cap next year is close to 10.8 mil. He's not making less than 10 million of his next contract no matter what people wish for.
My number is $10.75 AAV
It'll put him 250k over the previous highest goalie salary but not the highest cap% (Carey Price IIRC)
I think that is a fine enough statement.

Give him $10.75M but absolutely not NMC or full NTC

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm fine moving on from him if he wants over 10 mil.
I understand both sides of it. They better find another one then. Garand could be an answer.

My number is $10.75 AAV
It'll put him 250k over the previous highest goalie salary but not the highest cap% (Carey Price IIRC)
I think that is a fine enough statement.

Give him $10.75M but absolutely not NMC or full NTC
That's reasonable but I'm not sure that's going to be enough for him. We will see.

Reactions: Atax

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

The TRUUUUUTH! Tuba sucks as a player and I want him gone but the front office RONGOED hard on this one lmao.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
15 team NTC. He doesnt have NMC. He can be put on waivers and sent to HF. Which will happen if hes threatening not to report.
Sending him to Hartford would never happen. But just for argument, you sent him to Hartford. Trouba is a stubborn s.o.b. What if he calls your bluff and goes there for a couple weeks? You can only bury 1 million. So he's costing 7 million. Now you have to replace him. If you pay his replacement more than 1 million, sending him down is actually using up more cap. Not to mention the complete shitstorm that's created.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Sending him to Hartford would never happen. But just for argument, you sent him to Hartford. Trouba is a stubborn s.o.b. What if he calls your bluff and goes there for a couple weeks? You can only bury 1 million. So he's costing 7 million. Now you have to replace him. If you pay his replacement more than 1 million, sending him down is actually using up more cap. Not to mention the complete shitstorm that's created.
It sets a precedence. Hey. If I threaten not to report I can sabotage every deal and control this organization. Cant let them happen. If you do that shit, off to Hartford you go. They sent Redden down. They can send Trouba down. In terms of replacements, they can figure it out.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
IDK, why cut your nose off to spite your face? Why evade trades to play for an NHL team just go to ride a bus in Hartford to stick it to the man? You're still in the same situation you wanted to avoid and if you don't report you can just get terminated then figure your move out from there. Go play for NJ/NYI for a discount and then destroy Panarin or Mika lol.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
You needed a small miracle to move Trouba given our situation/leverage, we already got lucky with the Goodrow release, and Trouba was a tougher ask. They took a shot, didn’t work out, but now it’s the only thing being talked about because of how it all went down.

Said it a few weeks ago, I’m out on Igor north of 9. We can’t afford that shit given our situation unless we get lucky and hit on a few really good cost controlled players, and that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen given his new contract is due at the end of 25.

We’re basically running it back with the same squad because we have no other options, we all know breaking it down and retooling is a no go even if it may be the better long term solution at this stage.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
We’re getting deep into the speculation weeds here.
But my outhouse lawyer knowledge would say that if he refuses to report to Hartford and the Rangers terminate his contract then in order for him to sign with another team he would have to clear waivers with all 32 teams.

Reactions: Atax

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
It’s never going to get to the point where he’s put on waivers or his contract is terminated lol

Very clear at this point they’ll suck it up for a year and he’ll get moved next summer
I agree. Drury and Trouba will make a gentleman's agreement that next offseason they will work together to find a trade partner that works for both parties. All the other options like Hartford or using legal means to force him out would cause too much chaos.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad