Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There’s a lot of talk about the player’s emotions here. Yeah, they’re human, we get it.

All of that said, how can these guys not have any negative emotions for Trouba after he embarrassed himself and the franchise all throughout the playoffs? Throwing and missing on wildly dangerous hits. Constantly taking himself out of the play. Narrowly avoiding suspensions for egregious elbows. Penalty after penalty.

For all this talk about leadership, the guy plays one of the most selfish games I have ever seen. I would be PISSED if I was a teammate given Trouba’s critical role in pissing away a real chance at the Cup.

I still can’t believe this dude has an $8M cap hit and is the captain of the team. It’s ridiculous and it sucks to be us.
The players see it through a different lense than the fans. Why does this have to be explained again? The players see him as a warrior and leader, somebody they go to war with. He's in the foxhole with them. He plays hard every shift. They see a guy who practices and trains hard and who plays when he is injured. He is the captain of this team. It's really not hard to understand why he is well liked by the players as was Goodrow.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers are going to need a replacement D for Trouba when they move him. Mancini's a possibility but he'll probably need a few months or even the entire year with the Pack. So the other option is trade for a D. The free agents left apart from maybe Klingberg aren't good enough and he missed nearly all of last year with injury.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m totally down to let all the FA’s walk and bring Berard / Otter / Edstrom up and see what they’ve got. It looks like that is dru’s plan and I’m glad he didn’t sign any of those FA’s yesterday. Maybe he makes a big trade splash for a top six forward. I can see a world where Berard or otter thrive as the twins RW.

Also how many times has pesce been injured going into the playoffs? Am I tripping or has he been injured during crucial moments for the canes. They let him walk. Just the obligatory ‘f*ck the devils’ bit here.

Yes he has had issues staying healthy for sure

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Igor for Leon
Trade for Askarov (haven’t gotten that far past that yet but it’s still early in the week I am working on it)

Crazier things happen in this world EVERY DAY!
MAYBE outside possible before, not now
EDM will do everything to keep unless McDrai asks out

a beautiful dream but let it go

Too simple and boring. Go big or go home. Retained Panarin for Rantanen.
The Trouba needing to stay b'c supposedly his wife's residency is a yr off, is a complication.

Expensive, but lemons out of lemonade

Troub 50% max retained
ditto bread
Othmann
Rs 2025 1st rounder

THAT is enuf on the table to land Dobson!

--------
Also Shesty + Zib + Sykora + BMB
for
Nylander + Knies + Liljigren

----------
flip Lilj + better picks for Pinto + worse picks

Lindy for picks

Kreider - Knies/pinto - Nyl
Knies/pinto - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Berard Eds Rempe

RD - Fox/Dobson/Schneid
LD - kam/Scanlin/Mackey-Harpur stopgap until Fortesc gets here

Quck/Dom/Garand

• Haha
Reactions: Hire Sather

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Can't move on from Trouba just yet, so if I were Drury I'd be aggressively finding a sign+trade deal for Igor. Even just a trade, but the sign is probably how you add some garaunteed value. Goalie trades are hard to get much back on, but this guy's rep is at an all time high and there are some pretty desperate teams who've been undone by goaltending out there.

There's also some very reasonable replacements who could probably thrive here with some help from the goalie whisperer while he's still here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bo Groulx is Benoit-Olivier Groulx, if anyone didn't make the immediate connection. A lot of us wanted him when we instead picked Lindbom. He was a skilled, chippy guy last time I saw him in junior hockey. I don't remember seeing him in the AHL which makes sense as he was with Anaheim's affiliate. He's still 24, always a chance something clicks and he can stick as a fourth liner, like Brodz.

Casey Fitzgerald is a tough defensive defenseman, but I don't remember him being good at anything, really. I assume this one is purely for Hartford.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Can't move on from Trouba just yet, so if I were Drury I'd be aggressively finding a sign+trade deal for Igor. Even just a trade, but the sign is probably how you add some garaunteed value. Goalie trades are hard to get much back on, but this guy's rep is at an all time high and there are some pretty desperate teams who've been undone by goaltending out there.

There's also some very reasonable replacements who could probably thrive here with some help from the goalie whisperer while he's still here.
best bet is some variation of Shesty + Zib + for Nylander ++

• Wow
Reactions: TheDirtyH

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Bo Groulx is Benoit-Olivier Groulx, if anyone didn't make the immediate connection. A lot of us wanted him when we instead picked Lindbom. He was a skilled, chippy guy last time I saw him in junior hockey. I don't remember seeing him in the AHL which makes sense as he was with Anaheim's affiliate. He's still 24, always a chance something clicks and he can stick as a fourth liner, like Brodz.

Casey Fitzgerald is a tough defensive defenseman, but I don't remember him being good at anything, really. I assume this one is purely for Hartford.

Groulx Carrick and Rempe would drive the other team nots.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Igor to Buffalo for Alex Tuch and one of Levi/UPL. And that's just off the top of my head.

Drury needs to play hardball here. He needs to be willing to trade Igor this summer if the demands are too high. There's even something to be said for trading him regardless. Drury wanted to change the dynamic in the room with Trouba, now his only recourse is dealing Igor. It would suck and there'd be major blowback from the causals. But we went down this road before with Hank. It only led to more suffering.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Igor to Buffalo for Alex Tuch and one of Levi/UPL. And that's just off the top of my head.

Drury needs to play hardball here. He needs to be willing to trade Igor this summer if the demands are too high. There's even something to be said for trading him regardless. Drury wanted to change the dynamic in the room with Trouba, now his only recourse is dealing Igor. It would suck and there'd be major blowback from the causals. But we went down this road before with Hank. It only led to more suffering.
Yeah I thought of Buffalo. Detroit too.

I'd rather move him West all things being equal.

Would Anaheim entertain an Igor/Gibson swap? Minnesota was another that came to mind. They've got the kid Wallstedt, but maybe they still go for the garauntee. We take back Gustavsson+. The twin buy-outs drop to 733k a piece next year. What about Utah? How fast do they want to contend, because Igor could put them right in the mix in that shitty division.

I don't think you get back a premium player like Tuch though. You have to probably take on some money, a goalie, and then mostly get back picks/prospects.

But you can then flip those assets however you need to.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I thought of Buffalo. Detroit too.

I'd rather move him West all things being equal.

Would Anaheim entertain an Igor/Gibson swap? Minnesota was another that came to mind. They've got the kid Wallstedt, but maybe they still go for the garauntee. We take back Gustavsson+. The twin buy-outs drop to 733k a piece next year. What about Utah? How fast do they want to contend, because Igor could put them right in the mix in that shitty division.

I don't think you get back a premium player like Tuch though. You have to probably take on some money, a goalie, and then mostly get back picks/prospects.

But you can then flip those assets however you need to.

The bolded is how you get back a premium asset. Trade with a team that has forever had a need at the position and is ultra motivated to make a leap this year.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Attempting to divine Trouba's no trade list from pure Rongo Nation Pessimism masquerading as intuition or logical analysis is no fun. it's beyond exhausting and i shan't participate.

We know the defense is broke. It ain't getting fixed without a trade or a buyout.

So let's talk about the Fs.

There's obviously plenty of time, but Drury usually likes to get his work done early and I'm surprised that only Carrick has been signed as an NHL depth option thus far.

If we assume he and Laviolette are at least somewhat on the same page, I see the following as "written in pen:"

Kreider - Zibanejad - _____
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
_____ - Chytil - _____
_____ - Carrick - _____/Vesey

with guaranteed NHL spots for: Smith, Cuylle, Kakko

The big question/opportunity at this point is bottom 6 LW and 4th line RW. Does Lavi prefer Cuylle on 3rd line or 4th? Following that question - do berard or othmann have a shot to break camp on the 3rd line? Or are we going to sign a Sprong/Roslovic type to play in that spot?

Personally I think Id prefer Cuylle on the 4th line to start the year with Othmann or Berard (or Edstrom, frankly) given the 3rd line opportunity. The interesting element becomes whether Lavi trusts Cuylle enough to play a rookie with him and Carrick, or prefers Vesey/Brodz.

A:
Kreider Zibanejad Smith
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Berard Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Edstrom
Vesey

B:
Panarin Zibanejad Smith
Lafreniere Chytil Othmann
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Edstrom
Vesey

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Treason to you maybe. I see it as patriotism. The New York Igor's arent a cup winner.

I think we can win with Igor. This season. If he gets that big contract with us I think it is really going to hamper us in the future, not having enough firepower to get it done.

Kakko/Otter breakout, that makes the water the muddiest re: keeping him IMO.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think we can win with Igor. This season. If he gets that big contract with us I think it is really going to hamper us having enough firepower to get it done.

Kakko/Otter breakout, that makes the water the muddiest re: keeping him IMO.

Yeah but thats the problem. We need Othmann/Kakko breakouts to reach the pinnacle, but that's going to make it harder to keep Igor. Do we want to follow the same path we did with Henrik? That's what we need to ask ourselves.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Drury has Trouba's list. Wait 'til the TDL to boot his ass.

Or have Rempe Rempe Trouba.

Who is trading anything for him when he won’t play for the team anyway and how are we going to fill his minutes in the regular season? I don’t see a trade trouba for another d, and the players would throw a bitch fit. It ain’t happening

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The bolded is how you get back a premium asset. Trade with a team that has forever had a need at the position and is ultra motivated to make a leap this year.
Well you may be right. Frankly there's not a ton of historical precedent one way or another. This would be like Carey Price getting traded right after his gold medal season.

I just don't think it's that important to get a good roster player back for Igor. I think you try to get at least one first round pick, an A prospect, and in my mind, you ideally get your goalie replacement in the same deal. UPL is an interesting candidate. If it were buffalo, I'd be aiming for a 1st, Savoie/Ostlund, UPL for Igor.

Tuch sounds great in theory, but I'll take the cap savings at the goalie position and some much needed fuel for the pipeline. I don't think Buffalo has any interest in giving up Tuch, and would have even less in a trade to put them closer to contention.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Attempting to divine Trouba's no trade list from pure Rongo Nation Pessimism masquerading as intuition or logical analysis is no fun. it's beyond exhausting and i shan't participate.

We know the defense is broke. It ain't getting fixed without a trade or a buyout.

So let's talk about the Fs.

There's obviously plenty of time, but Drury usually likes to get his work done early and I'm surprised that only Carrick has been signed as an NHL depth option thus far.

If we assume he and Laviolette are at least somewhat on the same page, I see the following as "written in pen:"

Kreider - Zibanejad - _____
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
_____ - Chytil - _____
_____ - Carrick - _____/Vesey

with guaranteed NHL spots for: Smith, Cuylle, Kakko

The big question/opportunity at this point is bottom 6 LW and 4th line RW. Does Lavi prefer Cuylle on 3rd line or 4th? Following that question - do berard or othmann have a shot to break camp on the 3rd line? Or are we going to sign a Sprong/Roslovic type to play in that spot?

Personally I think Id prefer Cuylle on the 4th line to start the year with Othmann or Berard (or Edstrom, frankly) given the 3rd line opportunity. The interesting element becomes whether Lavi trusts Cuylle enough to play a rookie with him and Carrick, or prefers Vesey/Brodz.

A:
Kreider Zibanejad Smith
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Berard Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Edstrom
Vesey

B:
Panarin Zibanejad Smith
Lafreniere Chytil Othmann
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Edstrom
Vesey

I think Othmann makes it over Berard. The way the Rangers work is rookies get a cup of coffee first before they make the team. I’d play Vesey over Kakko. Vesey is more noticeable on the ice. More complete player. Vesey has more grit and determination . Kakko is another soft player with size.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Also as far as trading Igor goes... for me Henrik has nothing to do with it. 13% for Hank wasn't the issue. 17% for Dan and Marc was. You could've had Hank at his number and had a cup-worthy roster. Hank just accidentally made a bunch of horrible players rich alongside him.

Goalies were different then. Igor plays 55 games a year. You can't take up that much cap when you're part of a platoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad