Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I find it strange that Trouba would go full spite, Drury is trying to send him to a destination that he would really like, Trouba is playing a dangerous game if he gives Drury a bad list, and waivers becomes an option.
Who says he would like any destination other than nyc? Family and personal life/relationships are a real part of life even for professional athletes and their spouses.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If Shesterkin is really going to push for almost 13M he’s got to go. I don’t really care, spending that much on a goalie is f***ing absurd. Even if you get it down to 11.5-12 it is going to hamstring the rest of the lineup.

Rangers aren’t signing guys with term, so forget about Matt Roy. Also playing Stamkos with two guys who can’t pass the puck or drive play is just a complete waste of time. If you did sign him he would have to play with Panarin, it’s the only combination that makes sense.
5x5ish aint that bad. We need a top4 d-unit.

2025-2026 will be tight cap wise... but Panarin coming off the books alleviates pressure the following year

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Who says he would like any destination other than nyc? Family and personal life/relationships are a real part of life even for professional athletes and their spouses.

And living up to your 8M contract is a real part of the Rangers' reality as is his cap hit. Does he feel bad for the Rangers because he's sucked over the last three years? Unlikely.

I mean, I don't question his effort but there are serious questions about his results. 15 team no trade list and if he cock blocks a move where the Rangers are trying to get him to a team he might actually like then you cut bait and do what's best for the team. They have to be as cut throat as he is.

Trade. That doesn't work - waive and hope he's claimed. That doesn't work and it's either buyout, AHL time, or revisit option 1. That's the long and short of it.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
And living up to your 8M contract is a real part of the Rangers' reality as is his cap hit. Does he feel bad for the Rangers because he's sucked over the last three years? Unlikely.

I mean, I don't question his effort but there are serious questions about his results. 15 team no trade list and if he cock blocks a move where the Rangers are trying to get him to a team he might actually like then you cut bait and do what's best for the team. They have to be as cut throat as he is.

Trade. That doesn't work - waive and hope he's claimed. That doesn't work and it's either buyout, AHL time, or revisit option 1. That's the long and short of it.
At this point, he’s not going to be a Ranger opening night. He needs to realize that and accept it quickly. Otherwise there’s a chance he’s waived and ends up in a god awful situation.

I feel for the guy, but at some point he needs to think logically instead of emotionally. Getting picked up on waivers could be a nightmare situation for his family.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Again, who's claiming him at the full 8m?

I tried to share with you all a couple hours ago what was going on here and where this situation was going. I'm vetted by the site for a reason..
Any rebuilding team with cap space would be crazy to not claim him. He still has leadership qualities and retaining 50% at the deadline next year probably gets you a 1st. You have nothing to lose except time and rebuilding teams have plenty of it. Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Montreal, Chicago and Utah would all be obvious choices.

Reactions: gump116

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Any rebuilding team with cap space would be crazy to not claim him. He still has leadership qualities and retaining 50% at the deadline next year probably gets you a 1st. You have nothing to lose except time and rebuilding teams have plenty of it. Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Montreal, Chicago and Utah would all be obvious choices.
Who says their owners want to spend 8m on a player they don't need? Most teams are not struggling to reach the floor and if they are they can take on money elsewhere with an asset.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
He should take every second of his NMC and think about it over the weekend.

If he really was blindsided then yeah this is gonna suck.

I can appreciate his emotions about this. I like that he wants to be here and be a Ranger….but considering his salary and the fact that he ended the season on the 3rd pair, how can he be THAT shocked?
Captain of a Presidents Trophy winning team playing final minutes of games? And he was hurt as an excuse to himself.

He can very easily just trust NYR and never have thought twice.

Nobody wanted to Captain this group of betas and he stepped up. I can see him being very hurt.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Who says their owners want to spend 8m on a player they don't need? Most teams are not struggling to reach the floor and if they are they can take on money elsewhere with an asset.
Who says they don't need him? Rebuilding teams want assets and Trouba is just that. He also doesn't make 8 million he makes 6 and despite some fans thinking he is the worst player ever to suit up an NHL jersey he isn't. RD is a tough position to fill and Trouba at 4 million could bring back solid value. At the deadline next year he could bring back even more. Some of those teams have almost 30 million in cap space. If Trouba bounces back and plays well it could be huge for that franchise.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Trouba likes NYC. He likes what it has to offer. I have more insight on this but out of respect for him I am not going to share here. He certainly could be “hurt” by how this has unfolded with the team but I don’t think he was completely ready to move on from NYC, not now at least.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Doesn’t he and the Dr Mrs live in Florida most of the year anyway???
I know they have a place there, and he trains down there in the offseason

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I've been out most of the day....I'm not sure what you're referring to.
I posted a few hours earlier that this trade may be getting held up and that with the info about Detroit trouba and his agent could very well be now holding out and crafting their ntc list to block the deal and eliminate other possible locations to force NYR to keep him.

I've been getting shit about it for hours and then EF reported it about 40 mins ago and people are having a coronary.

People are responding F trouba and waive him as if it's likely anyone will claim him at the full 8m.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Who says they don't need him? Rebuilding teams want assets and Trouba is just that. He also doesn't make 8 million he makes 6 and despite some fans thinking he is the worst player ever to suit up an NHL jersey he isn't. RD is a tough position to fill and Trouba at 4 million could bring back solid value. At the deadline next year he could bring back even more. Some of those teams have almost 30 million in cap space. If Trouba bounces back and plays well it could be huge for that franchise.
You're making an argument at its basis that NHL teams should want to take the nyr asset that you don't want for the full value at 8m and arguing with me why they should want to do it. You realize that right? You don't want a player because he's been bad and because he's overpriced but you're trying to make the argument why a bottom feeder team should claim him at 8m a year as if money for these bottom tier teams with low revenues bc they are not good teams doesn't matter. Ha wow

Trouba likes NYC. He likes what it has to offer. I have more insight on this but out of respect for him I am not going to share here. He certainly could be “hurt” by how this has unfolded with the team but I don’t think he was completely ready to move on from NYC, not now at least.
100% and the timing and speed that this has happened has been aggressive for/to him to say the least.

People also are underestimating his agent...

Reactions: RGY

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I posted a few hours earlier that this trade may be getting held up and that with the info about Detroit trouba and his agent could very well be now holding out and crafting their ntc list to block the deal and eliminate other possible locations to force NYR to keep him.

I've been getting shit about it for hours and then EF reported it about 40 mins ago and people are having a coronary.

People are responding F trouba and waive him as if it's likely anyone will claim him at the full 8m.
I think that could end up worse for Trouba, no? The locations they leave open could be worst case scenario's for Trouba(compared to others that, while not NYC, are more ideal than others)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Your info sounds legit, but why wouldn't Utah pick him up for nothing? It's only $12M in real dollars over 2 seasons & they need veteran defensemen to fill out the roster. Cap space isn't an issue, so you can't say there isn't a decent chance that they or some other teams might claim him.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Your info sounds legit, but why wouldn't Utah pick him up for nothing? It's only $12M in real dollars over 2 seasons & they need veteran defensemen to fill out the roster. Cap space isn't an issue, so you can't say there isn't a decent chance that they or some other teams might claim him.
Utah just picked up two veteran defensemen, so the need diminished considerably today

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I will preface that I am not saying Trouba doesn’t care about the Rangers because I do think the organization and this team means something to him, but I think its NYC that means much more to him. He really enjoys it here, the lifestyle works for him. It would be tough to replicate and that could be whats affecting him most right now with how fast it has all come together.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I will preface that I am not saying Trouba doesn’t care about the Rangers because I do think the organization and this team means something to him, but I think its NYC that means much more to him. He really enjoys it here, the lifestyle works for him. It would be tough to replicate and that could be whats affecting him most right now with how fast it has all come together.
Great, the city will gladly welcome him back upon his retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad