Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I’ve said at least a dozen times that I don’t think Trouba has negative net value.

It’s low, but if we placed him on waivers at full salary he would be claimed
For us on ice he does have net negative value. But someone will think he doesn’t and claim him.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Basically a late 1st. Caps will be terrible next seasin.
Huh? Caps did a pretty good job introducing young players into the lineup last season and just made two trades that will deepen the middle of their lineup at worst. Good reasons to think that they shouldn’t be worse than they were this past season.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

“Late momentum seems to building around a potential trade of Jacob Trouba, whose 15-team no-trade list is due Monday but has been requested a bit earlier than that. As of early in the week, my best information was that the team was not going to aggressively market the captain — who has two years remaining at an $8 million cap hit per — but rather would listen to offers. That appears to have changed over the last 48 hours.”

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Huh? Caps did a pretty good job introducing young players into the lineup last season and just made two trades that will deepen the middle of their lineup at worst. Good reasons to think that they shouldn’t be worse than they were this past season.
Agree to disagree. They wont make the playoffs next season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Wild scenario, Trouba and Lindgren both go to Utah is the same deal
Brenden Dillon gets NO PP time. He averaged 18:44 per game this year. Ryan Lindgren, playing with Fox, averaged 19:21. Dillon was playing top-4 minutes for a playoff team this past season. AFP has him projected at 2 years for $2.9m per season and they've been pretty accurate up to this point. He is bigger, more physical and blocks more shots than Lindgren and will likely require a shorter term contract. I don't care if he hasn't played more than 20 minutes a game.

For Matt Roy, yes, AFP has him projected at 5 years and $5.8m per season. That's 2nd pairing money in todays NHL. I'd play him on the 2nd pairing behind Fox but above Schneider
Regarding Dillon you are making a point he doesn't get pp time, pp mins are literally the easiest minutes for a hockey player to play. 5v5 and ok are hard minutes. Comparing a 34 year old Dillon to 28 year old Lindgren doesn't help Dillons stock. If you're advocating for Dillon to be signed to be fox's partner then I think that turns into a mess. If you are suggesting Kam/fox, Roy/Schneider, Dillon/Jones then that's different. I still don't love because for all the complaining about the current d core there's not a lot out there to actually make it better. They're just are not a lot of good NHL defense man available to be acquired because when teams find them they don't want to give them up. Nyr isn't a tough spot because the UFA market is not great and those guys are going to get overpaid, and nyr really doesn't have assets to go out and trade for the kind of defenseman that people want to add here to play on the top pairing

Scor

Mar 27, 2022
Saros extended 8 years $7.5M AAV he will be 30 when the contract starts. I believe Shesh will also be turning 30 when his next contract starts. Baseline?
I think we'd be extremely lucky for Shesterkin to take $7.5M.

I'm thinking his baseline is probably closer to 9-10 and that might be low balling him. It goes up if he has a great year next year. Hopefully, we extend him now and he gives us a discount.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That's sort of a separate topic. After Tom Wilson almost murdered Panarin to a resounding complete lack of reaction, they were always getting some gritty mcgrits. The roster had proven itself incapable of protecting each other.
Not incapable, unwilling.

They responded the next game against the caps but it took them being publicly humiliated for the individuals to finally pretend to be a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad