Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
If Tkachuk is moved it will be because he forced it. In those cases, the return is usually much lower than fair market value for the player.

That said, even below fair market value for Tkachuk is going to be substantial.

• Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sure, if this was year 1 of a rebuild that would be an alright strategy to throw 5 brand new NHL-hopefuls to the fire. Jones is the most tested of the bunch with 69 NHL games.

The Rangers are trying to win a Cup in the next 1-2 years here. Mentoring doesn't translate directly to on-ice contributions. They're still going to be untested and underprepared rookies, mentoring or not. They are not physically or mentally accustomed to the NHL, the pace, etc.

They will get their chances when they're ready. I didn't said anything about never giving them a chance, but giving all 5 a chance simultaneously isn't the move for a team that could actually stand a chance to win a Cup with some NHL-level tweaking.
While it would be fun to watch them all play....I expect we likely will lose some in deals to bolster our club ......they won't all be/remain Rangers . You gotta give to get . Other GM's are watching and are ready to pounce on kids and they can afford to wait for a year and are willing to take their lumps and give them quality shifts and such to help them progress . It is the way it is .

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Sure, if this was year 1 of a rebuild that would be an alright strategy to throw 5 brand new NHL-hopefuls to the fire. Jones is the most tested of the bunch with 69 NHL games.

The Rangers are trying to win a Cup in the next 1-2 years here. Mentoring doesn't translate directly to on-ice contributions. They're still going to be untested and underprepared rookies, mentoring or not. They are not physically or mentally accustomed to the NHL, the pace, etc.

They will get their chances when they're ready. I didn't said anything about never giving them a chance, but giving all 5 a chance simultaneously isn't the move for a team that could actually stand a chance to win a Cup with some NHL-level tweaking.

It's how teams have to operate in the salary cap era. Young players to offset high salaries of vets and to free up space at the deadline. I never said anything about putting players in if they weren't ready, they've marinated in the minors and the next step is the nhl, can't keep them in Hartford forever, it's not like they are all fresh out of junior, like Laf and Kakko, they've all seasoned to different degrees, the next step is the big leagues

Reactions: leetch99

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If Tkachuk is moved it will be because he forced it. In those cases, the return is usually much lower than fair market value for the player.

That said, even below fair market value for Tkachuk is going to be substantial.
I can’t imagine how a kid like that enjoys Ottawa. What a dog sh** place to live, probably second worst in the league after Winnipeg. And on top of that the organization is an absolute gongshow

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Replacing Lindgren and Trouba with Roy and Walker would be such a vast improvement it’s hard to put in to words. Collectively, Roy and Walker probably come in at a lesser collective cap hit than Trouba and Lindgren. Probably like $10m vs $12m. Walker plays both sides, Roy is a RD.

Sign me up for that. I still think an offseason of Dillon/Roy would be a coup too

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
bupkis
Would take Lafreniere +++

OTT would do exactly what BUF did with Eichel and ask for an extreme overpay from NY just because.
What did BUF ask us for Eichel? Didn't we balk on Kakko which in retrospect was stupid (1000% hindsight bias)?

The trade probably could have been Buchnevich, Kakko, 1st, 2nd (although those draft picks could have been Sykora, Othmann)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I can’t imagine how a kid like that enjoys Ottawa. What a dog sh** place to live, probably second worst in the league after Winnipeg. And on top of that the organization is an absolute gongshow
And he’s partying all week in Miami with his bro and the Panthers , imagine seeing that then having to show up at the office in Kanata to get ready for another season

Reactions: bigdog16

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

8. Jacob Trouba
Right Defense, New York Rangers
Contract: 2 years remaining, $8 million AAV
Stats: 69 GP, 3 G, 19 A, 22 Pts
Scoop: The Rangers are exploring all of their options this summer as GM Chris Drury remains as aggressive as ever trying to get New York over the hump. One of those options is potentially moving his captain. Trouba also just happens to be dropping down from a full ‘no-movement’ clause to a 15-team ‘no-trade’ list starting on Monday. Trouba has positive trade equity, despite the cap hit, because the term is so short with two years remaining. Teams crave his intensity, leadership and physicality. Are the Detroit Red Wings, looking to upgrade their blueline, a viable option for the Michigan native? In addition to upgrades up front, the Rangers are also grinding on an extension for Ryan Lindgren, and his initial asks appear to be pretty reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad