Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Great post & what an honest to God STRENGTHENING this would be.
As far as the Laf thing, that's not something discussed here or elsewhere yet, but he very well may not "want" to be here & may desire MTL

Not time to discuss that probably but I agree that getting to AND past FL et all is going to take some dynamic moves.

Does Drury have that in him? Or is it running it back with a few minor moves?

I do find it interesting that a lot of the board seems OK with more peripheral moves instead of taking a big swing or two. Idk how anyone can go into next year feeling confident the end result will be different if they add a couple mid-level UFA forwards and a Gustafsson replacement. Because it wont be. People dont even want to trade Kakko for anything less than a steal.

Recent history has shown if you make aggressive moves to fix what ails your team, that's how Cups are won. I believe Drury knows that. Building a team for the trade deadline isnt working.

Reactions: Riche16 and Atax

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We need to gamble, repurpose Shesty value

either choice 1
Shesty + Zib +
for
Nylander +

or ch 2
Shesty + Kakko + Trouba
for
Seider

or ch 3
Shesty +
for
Zegras ++

those are the big balls to the walls moves
Sens getting Ul from Boston cheap, they are out of it

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Is there a gas leak in Larry's house? Putting K'Andre in the same bucket as Laf and Igor for extensions next year is laughable. And saying Kreider, of all people, would be the one to go if they added Guentzel. Trouba is right there man.

Also for a guy who is so obsessed with the rangers ending their drought, I'm not sure why he is so concerned with the salary cap in 2026.

(Im fine with Kane if the contract is reasonable and further additions are made)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I do find it interesting that a lot of the board seems OK with more peripheral moves instead of taking a big swing or two. Idk how anyone can go into next year feeling confident the end result will be different if they add a couple mid-level UFA forwards and a Gustafsson replacement. Because it wont be. People dont even want to trade Kakko for anything less than a steal.

Recent history has shown if you make aggressive moves to fix what ails your team, that's how Cups are won. I believe Drury knows that. Building a team for the trade deadline isnt working.
The board is ok with small changes because we were a final 4 team two out of the past three years with this core.
We have players who should get better next year, and that should balance the players who get worse.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My concern with rumors about these big names is that NYR are going to end up filling out the depth of the roster with garbage like McKegg an Harpur again just so they can squeeze in a marquee piece when what we really need is the balance of three lines to score- which really just requires a new right winger, healthy Chytil, and the progression of Brennan Othmann.

Say what you like about losing Goodrow and how that's a good cap move but if the 4th line next year is Rempe-Brodzinski-Vesey (Before injuries) I don't think I'll be penciling us in for a cup in June.

Also- moving Kreider to fit Guentzel? That's barely an upgrade, before you factor in the locker room effect and Chris's legacy here.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
I'm not opposed to Kane under the right conditions, but I really hope that's not what they're "focused on" *

*Keep in mind the draft is being held at the sphere which is owned by James Dolan, owner of the NY Rangers, who have their first round pick.

Reactions: AirGut and Atax

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
My concern with rumors about these big names is that NYR are going to end up filling out the depth of the roster with garbage like McKegg an Harpur again just so they can squeeze in a marquee piece when what we really need is the balance of three lines to score- which really just requires a new right winger and the progression of Brennan Othmann.

Say what you like about losing Goodrow and how that's a good cap move but if the 4th line next year is Rempe-Brodzinski-Vesey (Before injuries) I don't think I'll be penciling us in for a cup in June.

Also- moving Kreider to fit Guentzel? That's barely an upgrade, before you factor in the locker room effect and Chris's legacy here.
This is why Kane makes sense somewhat. You get the offensive upside of a big name at a massive salary discount and no long term contract.

Unfortunately, they should have waived Goodrow and resigned Kane last year.

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The board is ok with small changes because we were a final 4 team two out of the past three years with this core.
We have players who should get better next year, and that should balance the players who get worse.

We were only close to beating the Panthers because of Igor. We're ahead of the majority of the Eastern conference but we remain a tier below Florida. They need clear upgrades at multiple positions.

Im also very curious how you would group players as far as the bolded goes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is why Kane makes sense somewhat. You get the offensive upside of a big name at a massive salary discount and no long term contract.

If Kane did a Shanahan I'd find that acceptable. I don't think it's my ideal offseason, but I understand the idea and why it would be tempting for Drury. It does not make us faster, grittier, or better in transition. There would still be much to be done via trades and not just filling out the rest with a skeleton crew and counting on Kane's magic to be the difference.

But for the love of god don't play him with Mika and Kreider. NYR need to completely re-imagine their top 9 to get a better balance of play-styles. Lafreniere is a very good player in his own right now, I don't think he or Tro have to be attached at Panarin via the hip to continue to work.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Another soft, lazy scorer. No thanks. I dont see how a guy like that, who has never even sniffed a playoff game in 14 years, gets us closer to winning a Cup. Would be crazy to go for Skinner when Kane is available for just money too.

Soft lazy players don’t have 50+% CF for a decade plus. The only thing soft and lazy is this take on the player.

Reactions: LionsHeart

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
So far from credible sources, Or not so credible, yet professional sources I should say. Any others im missing?

"Rangers are in on Jake Guentzel via Free Agency" -The Athletic, Arthur Staple, Peter Baugh. THN, Larry Brooks

"Kane wants to play for NY with something to prove" Multiple Sources- NY Times, Seravalli and Lazarus." Lazarus was a local guy here who made it as an insider in Chicago. He golfs with Kane. He would know.

"Rangers focused on Pat Kane as Free Agency Looms" - Larry Brooks

"Rangers looking to package Kakko and 30th OA to move up in the draft. Larry Brooks, and TSN

"Rangers aren't looking to buyout Trouba" Larry Brooks

"Rangers interested in Joel Farabee" Davidson - Flyers beat reporter

"Trevor Zegras wants to come to the NY Rangers" -Multiple sources. TSN, Arthur Staple, SNY

Trouba on Franks trade list.

Last edited:

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
id take Kane on a Wheeler type contract. if we pay him $2+mil AAV i might just watch basketball next season instead.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
200w.gif

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
If Kane did a Shanahan I'd find that acceptable. I don't think it's my ideal offseason, but I understand the idea and why it would be tempting for Drury. It does not make us faster, grittier, or better in transition. There would still be much to be done via trades and not just filling out the rest with a skeleton crew and counting on Kane's magic to be the difference.

But for the love of god don't play him with Mika and Kreider. NYR need to completely re-imagine their top 9 to get a better balance of play-styles. Lafreniere is a very good player in his own right now, I don't think he or Tro have to be attached at Panarin via the hip to continue to work.
I think you end up putting Laf and his ability to drive 5v5 play with Mika/Kreider and put Kane with Trocheck and Panarin.

Or considering Kane is likely making less than $2M, you can still get a top 6er besides him and park him on the 3rd line.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What Kane very likely does is moves Zibanejad to the second PP unit to be the triggerman, which I could imagine either going great or terribly with very little space in-between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad