Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lots of talk on NHL Radio that Stevie Y is def up to something. But nobody knows what.

Stevie Y needs to do something. Red Wings missing the playoffs last year was an embarrassment, but they got bailed out by the Penguins & Flyers also missing. Trouba really does make sense for them as a hometown guy on a short deal, to take some of the pressure off Seider, who struggled playing against top competition. I bet they will go for Stammer as well. That team lacks leadership in a big way. They dive and whine a lot, they blow leads, they are soft and they don't exactly "act like theyve been there before". He already made an attempt at veteran leadership with Kane, might be a clue to where his head is at. This is an "old hockey man" line of thinking, but that's kinda what Yzerman has shown us he is since taking over for the Wings.

Edit: apparently the wings are in on Gibson too. They do need a goalie.

Last edited:

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
It seems that beat writers like Brooks had reliable sources within Gorton's management team that would clue them in on things that were about to or could happen. Since Drury took over those avenues of information have more than less closed and instead of the real or actual we get more of the speculative or sometimes the beat writers mine sources from the league or other teams. Drury keeps things way closer to the vest than previous Rangers GM's. I don't put a lot of credence into the rumors flying about. It's not that they can't happen.....it's more that you can't count on them happening.

After the Rangers failed to get out of the conference finals Drury hinted that he was open to a lot of things. Comments like that are a bit cryptic. For instance among other hints was he was interested in bigger and tougher. I think there are 31 other teams interested in the same thing. People are throwing a lot of balls in the air right now. Trade Kakko....move up in the 1st. Get Zegras and Kane. Move Trouba. There will be more of this, that and the other. Will the Rangers make moves? Sure, they do every year and some might happen when free agency opens up.

What I expect is the Rangers to try to fill the top 6 hole that plagued them all of last year. I see them adding a defenseman. If they move Trouba they'll either bring a D back in the deal or they'll add another. I'd be surprised if they just let Jones walk into the Rangers 6.....they'll make him earn it. Some holes lower down in the lineup they should try to fill from within. Keeping in mind it's very unlikely they'll break training camp with 4 or 5 rookies. So there will probably be at least a little dumpster diving in free agency.
Always wondered if it was Slats who kept Larry's craw full with fluff stuff.
Glen had his mouthpiece to spread (dis) information, and Larry had small nuggets for his column.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Stevie Y needs to do something. Red Wings missing the playoffs last year was an embarrassment, but they got bailed out by the Penguins & Flyers also missing. Trouba really does make sense for them as a hometown guy on a short deal, to take some of the pressure off Seider, who struggled playing against top competition. I bet they will go for Stammer as well. That team lacks leadership in a big way. They dive and whine a lot, they blow leads, they are soft and they don't exactly "act like theyve been there before". He already made an attempt at veteran leadership with Kane, might be a clue to where his head is at. This is an "old hockey man" line of thinking, but that's kinda what Yzerman has shown us he is since taking over for the Wings.
Which is why Trouba could be a good fit.

Wings taking a big run by adding Guentzel and Trouba ?

Red Wings right now make the Rangers look like the 75 Flyers.

Reactions: McRanger92

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I don't understand option 3. They have a 3C. Chytil. He's had that role for years. Why would a past injury mean he has to play wing instead? Also, as you say, the 3C market is very bad. I wouldn't bother trying to sign one for insurance. If Chytil happens to get hurt again go out and bring someone in at the deadline rather than overpaying one of these FA who isn't very good.

Agreed. Easier to find a wing in FA.

If they are going to go get a center - and I'm not saying they shouldn't - they should be finding a young high upside guy, like, in theory, a Zegras type, who they can buy low on and rehabilitate into a top 6 center.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The lack of any noise towards moving Lindgren is a bit disconcerting.

Guys have moved before out of no where and Im sure that would be dubbed as a "surprise" move but if our FO hasn't identified moving him as a priority then we're in loads of trouble.

Unless he comes back cheap and they can bring themselves to staple him to the third pair, and perhaps he rebounds a bit.

Would Weinberg take Goodrow money or little less?
Worried about Chytil.
Like Edstrom but at 3c not so sure

Don't want Wennberg back for free.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Unless he comes back cheap and they can bring themselves to staple him to the third pair, and perhaps he rebounds a bit.

I think Drury has no desire to pay Lindgren, but he's not going to kick him to the curb for nothing. I bet Lindgren plays on the QO or a 2 year deal with no trade protection. As long as you make a real add at top 4 LD and/or move Trouba, Im ok with Lindgren being back.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I think Drury has no desire to pay Lindgren, but he's not going to kick him to the curb for nothing. I bet Lindgren plays on the QO or a 2 year deal with no trade protection. As long as you make a real add at top 4 LD and/or move Trouba, Im ok with Lindgren being back.

Yup. You know my feelings. Trouba is the way more expensive and way worse player. Lindgren may be deteriorating but his abysmal year is an outlier compared to his last 3 (unlike Trouba). I'm open to seeing if Lindgren bounces back in a lesser role.

I'm also open to trading him, but, at the same time, he's a first pair defender at 26 years old. If we trade his rights, presumably they can fetch something interesting. This isn't a "just don't re-sign him," situation.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

There is no amount of money that would make it worth it on a 3rd pair unless he's accepting his QO and even then I'd probably look else where. His numbers away from Fox are frightening.

Trouba's 2nd half and playoff were better than his and JT didn't have the crutch of Adam Fox.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
the source is he signed with the red wings who are ass but offered him more money lol

All the chatter on Kane seems like he wants a team bend the knee and roll out the red carpet for the honor of signing him. He should try playing a fully healthy season before demanding multiyear deals.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I look at the Knicks right now as a contrast to the Rangers, and I'm so jealous of how they've gone ahead and built an identity and then they're going out there, finding the right pieces to add to that identity.

The wide range of trade ideas that are flying around this team makes it pretty clear to me that the team's identity is unclear to most of us. We're too busy trying to fix Mika and Kreider. As opposed to adding to a foundation that is solid.

In addition, we've moved out Goody and we're possibly moving out Trouba. If I'm Drury, if I swing for the fences, I'm swinging for a Brunson type, not a complimentary piece, but a core identity piece. And I think Drury should be willing to create other holes if nec to get that core identity piece. If you all noticed Laffy didn't sign a deal this summer and the reports are that he's not looking to sign until next summer when he's an RFA. I think Drury needs to commit to a new core this summer, one that includes Laffy, Igor and one new piece that establishes the central identity of the team. Then, dudes like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Miller and Fox --- are the compliments to that new identity. But I think the culture shift can't be attained by signing Stefan Noesen or Jordan Martinook or Nick Whitecloud or whoever ends up becoming available in a bottom of the lineup role. We cannot just replace Goody with a cheaper Goody and replace Frank Vatrano with a cheaper Frank Vatrano and expect to get past the Floridas of the world. But more importantly, you need to convince Laffy who will be entering his prime that he's on the right team for the next 7-8 years. What does this team look like 2-3 years when Panarin and Kreider are up? What is our identity moving forward? What is the vision that sells Laffy that this is where his future is?

Identity pieces you can build around don't come around that often. That's the reality. And so it might not happen any time soon. But I think Drury needs a bigger vision and one that he can realistically sell to both Laffy and future free agents.
Great post & what an honest to God STRENGTHENING this would be.
As far as the Laf thing, that's not something discussed here or elsewhere yet, but he very well may not "want" to be here & may desire MTL

Not time to discuss that probably but I agree that getting to AND past FL et all is going to take some dynamic moves.

Does Drury have that in him? Or is it running it back with a few minor moves?

Reactions: McRanger92

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Kane has no interest in redemption here. He just wants the best contract.

I wasn't interested in 1 yr im certainly not interested in term.

It's so annoying to hear how he wants to right the wrong with the Rangers.

He just wants the best contract.
he's a 3x SC winner... 47p in 50g! the dude is still an offensive force! and his game isn't predicated on being physical, so he "should" fit in with the gentlemen's line of Krieeder and Meeka...

The only thing that should concern us, is if he's still injured, or not 100%

Reactions: Atax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad