Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
give us a name, love. who is this mystery man top pair LD in mid 20s?

i could see a stopgap brought in to play with fox. provorov, kylington, etc.

the irony is that the FA dman in mid 20s with top pair experience is our guy.. who isn't even that bad he just always gets played on the top pair which ranks our efficacy

Chychrun if a deal could be worked out.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It can be done… blackhawks won that way.. but your elite wingers have to carry the load. It’s not ideal, but doable.

Barring a big time C asking out via trade, they just don’t wind up on the market, and hardly ever in Free Agency unless they are past their prime/too old/want to much $$ and too many years/etc
You basically have to luck into drafting one. It becomes harder with no top 5-7 picks. You have to wait for a Wyatt Johnston to essentially fall into your lap…..
This team really missed the boat on Eichel…
4 and a half years younger then Zibby and signed for essentially the same contract give or take a million.
That’s why I was lobbying so hard for him and including Kakko in a deal.
At the time Kakko+Chytil+ prospect+1st would have likely got it done even with the east tax.
Chytil was the rumored player going the other way in a TDL deal for Miller as well….

Having a top end 1C locked up for a half decade would have been huge…
Rangers would have got a lot in return for Zibby as well at the time if they wanted to move him.

It’s sucks now because both chytil and kakko now have diminished trade value.
This might be the start of Zibby regressing or it could be just a down season. Either way he’s another year older.
If another high end sub-30 yr old center hits the market in trade/FA, the rangers should be all over it…..

Gorton and Bobrov hurt the rebuild
Coming out of our 1st draft with Anderson/chytil

Cuylle is a nice piece and we were lucky to salvage that from Anderson but he’s not a top 10 talent.
Kravtsov over Dobson was inexcusable. Shades of McIlrath over Tarashenko…..
It’s also hard when you NEVER DRAFT CENTERS

Reactions: djzbad

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
We should sign Kylington. Could be a huge steal. Likely won't sign long term unfortunately since he didn't play and will get a low cap. Would be a moneyball move though.
i agree, 2x2m or so would be a great deal for him. Unfortunately it's a very Canes move and i anticipate he goes there.

Reactions: MrAlmost

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Anderson, chytil, Hendrickson, BMB
All within the past 5 years.
The fact that 2 busted is mostly due to both bad scouting.

We drafted centers.

We draft centers but not first line elite centers with an all around game like a Barkov, MacKinnon or a Bergeron (bruins got lucky in the 2ed round of that draft). scouting still has to improve here.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We draft centers but not first line elite centers with an all around game like a Barkov, MacKinnon or a Bergeron (bruins got lucky in the 2ed round of that draft). scouting still has to improve here.
Barkov was 2, mackinnon was 1.
We have Laf, and unfortunately we didn’t get Hughes we got Kakko.
Can’t really blame the scouts for those drafts.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Barkov was 2, mackinnon was 1.
We have Laf, and unfortunately we didn’t get Hughes we got Kakko.
Can’t really blame the scouts for those drafts.
2019 the 1st round centers are all kinda not it: dach, turcotte, zegras.. i like cozens and boldy

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Do you have a brother? I mean, one that you like?
JK
I’m speaking from my perspective now. That if someone did that to my brother (fair or not), I’d want revenge.
Hahaha.
These guys are pros. Five minutes of being on a team win Rempe, Greenway would likely be over it. But who knows? Everyone is different.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You essentially have three “#2” centers. They’ll be a playoff team still.

Everyone knows I’m of the opinion they aren’t likely to win a Cup without getting a legit, young 1C. So yeah they still need to do that. But don’t just go get some “center depth.” They need a center cornerstone.
I don't have faith in chytil's health so to me that have 2 centers right now.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
he graded out roughly even at 5v5 play on the top pair on what was far and away the worst team in the league. He's not Bobby Orr by any means but he is an upgrade at 3.25 million to whatever the f*** Ryan Lindgren is going to get monetarily.

As a middle pairing defenseman, you could do much much worse.
I don’t see Ferraro as being better than Lindgren and Lindys QO IS 3.6mil. I don’t see him getting much over that.
I’m no saying to hold onto him, I’m saying there’s no real point to replacing him with Ferraro.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Anderson, chytil, Hendrickson, BMB
All within the past 5 years.
The fact that 2 busted is mostly due to both bad scouting.

We drafted centers.
Add Laba…
Stepan drafted internally was probably our real last success story at the position…
Not good enough.

Andersson and chytil were also the first 2 picks that kicked off the rebuild.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I liked the Corey Schneider deal for the devils a lot more than I like this one for them.

Seems an odd time to trade a haul for a well paid goalie when there is so much season to season inconsistency with netminders. You’d be much better off just trying to recruit the next flash in the pan Euro goalie like Jonas Gustavsson for a year or two

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think this community overrates firsts and prospects. The bust rate is high. I don’t hate the deal for the Devils. They need a reliable goaltender and now they have one.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Markstrom should help the Devils. Getting Hamilton back because it was way too soon for Luke Hughes to be a #1D. They have offense and puck movement from their D but not enough defense or any real nasty from their D. I expect if they can stay healthy they will be better just on Markstrom/Hamilton though. They don't really have a shutdown guy and Bahl leaving takes away probably their most physical defenseman.

As far as Calgary you got to figure that 1st is going to be between 12 and 20 and Bahl is on the young and big side and good enough to play regular. It's not a bad return from a player they were going to have to move on from.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Also Devils have Jake Allen and if they're doing Markstrom/Allen as their two goalies next year where does that leave 23 year old Nico Daws and 24 year old Akira Schmid. I kind of expect the Devils will move one of them anyway but both of them are in a kind of limbo coming off of last year playing behind a depleted defense. I don't think that either has much value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad