Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I know everyone is focused on the d, but we need to talk about centers. What is this team doing?

Zib is now playing like a #2, trocheck IS a #2 having a career year, and chytil we hope can make it through a season. This is not good

The org is absolutely going to need to find a legit center for next season. They cannot go into the season with chytil as the 3c and this new version of zib. I love chytil, but if they do that they are setting themselves up for issues, and buying a center at the deadline is insanely expensive.

We wont have the room to try to sign lindholm unless there are some major salaries moved (and if you add a player like that how are the centers laid out??).

Where is nyr finding a top 9 center that they can rely on. We need center depth, we NEED IT!
You essentially have three “#2” centers. They’ll be a playoff team still.

Everyone knows I’m of the opinion they aren’t likely to win a Cup without getting a legit, young 1C. So yeah they still need to do that. But don’t just go get some “center depth.” They need a center cornerstone.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I've mentioned him before, but what about reaching out to Bill Guerin to see what he wants for Marco Rossi. For whatever reason, he's reportedly available after scoring 40 points last year. There's a young C who's shown he can play with good players in Kaprizov and Zucc, has pace to his game, and has strong underlying numbers. He's small, but he's got a good base to keep building up lower-body strength. Would be a very different player than we've had in the system before, and he'd be a good bet to have a top-6 option moving forward.

This is the kind of move we need to be looking for

Reactions: lakeshirts37

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Stars are trying to find a way to re-sign Tanev. EF reported Ottawa is interested in acquiring Brandon Tanev from Seattle to entice Chris to sign in Ottawa. Bruce Garrioch confirmed the Brandon Tanev information.

Trouba to the Stars for Mason Marchment. 2 seasons remaining. $4.5M. Dallas takes on $3.5M in space. Marchment would be good for the Rangers. Trouba is making $6M annually for next two seasons. Dallas isn't taking on a lot of real money. Mason will make $3.6M annually in the next two years. The Rangers would still need to acquire another RD. Dallas gets a RD to replace Tanev. Marchment gives the Rangers a bigger winger on the RW.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Everyone knows I’m of the opinion they aren’t likely to win a Cup without getting a legit, young 1C. So yeah they still need to do that. But don’t just go get some “center depth.” They need a center cornerstone.

Need to draft those. Sadly Rangers are not in a position to do so right now unless they get lucky at the draft. Rangers traded for Mika and thought he was a #1 center. Rangers scouts always miss at the pro level. they should have drafted a top line skilled center around the time Derek Stepan got dealt. At least Lias Andersson got the Rangers the pick to draft Will Cuylle

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is the kind of move we need to be looking for
fool's gold as a foundation piece pivot w/1C potential
still worth investigating what cost, possibly a useful piece in the equation
but no

prob is he is small
and as we are learning
in sports usually
good big man beats good little man

whether assets to acquire
or cap hit which cannot be used elsewhere
we need to see if there isn't better add

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Jonny Lazarus floated the idea of Mario Ferraro being a part of this deal. He would be a pretty solid Lindgren replacement at 3.25 for the next 2 years.

Jonny played at UMass with him for 3 years so there could be smoke to it but also seems to be just him speculating/wishing.

The Stars are trying to find a way to re-sign Tanev. EF reported Ottawa is interested in acquiring Brandon Tanev from Seattle to entice Chris to sign in Ottawa. Bruce Garrioch confirmed the Brandon Tanev information.

Trouba to the Stars for Mason Marchment. 2 seasons remaining. $4.5M. Dallas takes on $3.5M in space. Marchment would be good for the Rangers. Trouba is making $6M annually for next two seasons. Dallas isn't taking on a lot of real money. Mason will make $3.6M annually in the next two years. The Rangers would still need to acquire another RD. Dallas gets a RD to replace Tanev. Marchment gives the Rangers a bigger winger on the RW.
We would need to add significantly in this deal, I'd assume unless Jim Nill thinks Trouba is 2020 Trouba and not 2024 Trouba.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

They love marchment. He’s one of the vets the want to keep around with a heavy kid roster.

Reactions: majordomo

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I honestly don't believe the Rangers use Goodrow cap space to add a player in the 29+ age range UFA.

I see Lindgren getting moved for a asset(s) and said asset being part of a deal for a top pair LD in their mid 20s.
give us a name, love. who is this mystery man top pair LD in mid 20s?

i could see a stopgap brought in to play with fox. provorov, kylington, etc.

the irony is that the FA dman in mid 20s with top pair experience is our guy.. who isn't even that bad he just always gets played on the top pair which ranks our efficacy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

It can be done… blackhawks won that way.. but your elite wingers have to carry the load. It’s not ideal, but doable.

Barring a big time C asking out via trade, they just don’t wind up on the market, and hardly ever in Free Agency unless they are past their prime/too old/want to much $$ and too many years/etc
You basically have to luck into drafting one. It becomes harder with no top 5-7 picks. You have to wait for a Wyatt Johnston to essentially fall into your lap…..
This team really missed the boat on Eichel…
4 and a half years younger then Zibby and signed for essentially the same contract give or take a million.
That’s why I was lobbying so hard for him and including Kakko in a deal.
At the time Kakko+Chytil+ prospect+1st would have likely got it done even with the east tax.
Chytil was the rumored player going the other way in a TDL deal for Miller as well….

Having a top end 1C locked up for a half decade would have been huge…
Rangers would have got a lot in return for Zibby as well at the time if they wanted to move him.

It’s sucks now because both chytil and kakko now have diminished trade value.
This might be the start of Zibby regressing or it could be just a down season. Either way he’s another year older.
If another high end sub-30 yr old center hits the market in trade/FA, the rangers should be all over it…..

Gorton and Bobrov hurt the rebuild
Coming out of our 1st draft with Anderson/chytil

Cuylle is a nice piece and we were lucky to salvage that from Anderson but he’s not a top 10 talent.
Kravtsov over Dobson was inexcusable. Shades of McIlrath over Tarashenko…..

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Jonny Lazarus floated the idea of Mario Ferraro being a part of this deal. He would be a pretty solid Lindgren replacement at 3.25 for the next 2 years.

Jonny played at UMass with him for 3 years so there could be smoke to it but also seems to be just him speculating/wishing.

We would need to add significantly in this deal, I'd assume unless Jim Nill thinks Trouba is 2020 Trouba and not 2024 Trouba.
I didnt really understand that tweet. So we’d overpay for Ferraro to compensate for them taking Goodrow? Maybe I need more coffee

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think Guentzel is a really good player but he's hitting his 30's and tends to get hurt a lot. Couple that with a big contract and it's maybe not a great situation
Thing about Guentzel is the type of game he plays should age well…
He doesn’t depend on elite speed or physicality…
Much like Crosby, he goes to the right places on the ice and the puck seems to follow him.
He has a high end hockey IQ and processes the game well. He’s like under the radar sneaky good and you don’t realize it until he burns you.
I expect him to be a high end point producer for at least another 4 seasons.
But you right, signing a 30 yr old to a 7-year high dollar deal isn’t what we should be shooting for atm

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Need to draft those. Sadly Rangers are not in a position to do so right now unless they get lucky at the draft. Rangers traded for Mika and thought he was a #1 center. Rangers scouts always miss at the pro level. they should have drafted a top line skilled center around the time Derek Stepan got dealt. At least Lias Andersson got the Rangers the pick to draft Will Cuylle

Tough to say they "missed," on Zibanejad.

He was a very, very, very good player, and an amazing trade that should be the cornerstone of how they always trade (find a declining player with value and flip him for a young player with high upside that you've correctly scouted).

But he ended up just outside the tier that they probably needed to get over the hump.

It's ok. There should still be no negative feelings about his acquisition or his prime here.

But it was pretty obvious before he signed that extension that they probably should have been looking to flip him.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I didnt really understand that tweet. So we’d overpay for Ferraro to compensate for them taking Goodrow? Maybe I need more coffee
He’s available and could be a good under the radar gamble for us. He was played over his head in SJ, I think it would be a shrewd move.

Basically, they claim Goodrow’s entire contract, we flip them Jones and pick 30, we get back Ferraro and maybe the rights to Barabanov who we wanted at the deadline and maybe a 2nd or 3rd?

I could see something like that possibly working. Basically the trade back from 30 to mid 2nd or early 3rd is a slight overpay for taking Goodrow scot-free and then Jones is a slight underpay for Ferraro.

Miller Fox
Ferraro Schneider

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
He’s available and could be a good under the radar gamble for us. He was played over his head in SJ, I think it would be a shrewd move.

Basically, they claim Goodrow’s entire contract, we flip them Jones and pick 30, we get back Ferraro and maybe the rights to Barabanov who we wanted at the deadline and maybe a 2nd or 3rd?

I could see something like that possibly working. Basically the trade back from 30 to mid 2nd or early 3rd is a slight overpay for taking Goodrow scot-free and then Jones is a slight underpay for Ferraro.

Miller Fox
Ferraro Schneider
what the f*** are you talking about?? goodrow is not costing us our god damned 1st

Reactions: pld459666

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yes. His brother didn’t play another game that season.
Rempe knocked him into the ECHL.
So? These guys aren’t holding grudges against people simply for playing the game. It was a fair fight, mutual, and nothing dirty. If a clean hit knocked him into the ECHL would that be an issue too?
Hey, I don’t know Greenway personally, but I doubt that’s a thing.

Ferraro would be in the deal and it’s not "Costing us a first". Slow down and actually re-read what I wrote
I read what you wrote. That trade seems very implausible to me.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
So? These guys aren’t holding grudges against people simply for playing the game. It was a fair fight, mutual, and nothing dirty. If a clean hit knocked him into the ECHL would that be an issue too?
Hey, I don’t know Greenway personally, but I doubt that’s a thing.

I read what you wrote. That trade seems very implausible to me.
Do you have a brother? I mean, one that you like?
JK
I’m speaking from my perspective now. That if someone did that to my brother (fair or not), I’d want revenge.

Reactions: bhamill

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Ferraro would be in the deal and its not "Costing us a first". Slow down and actually re-read what I wrote
what you wrote was, ignoring the mechanic of waivers to bypass NTC 15 team list:

Out:
B Goodrow
Z Jones
30 OVR

In
M Ferraro
late 2nd or 3rd

ferraro isn't good. in fact he may be f***ing awful. just like this trade.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

Miller Fox
Ferraro Schneider
Gotcha makes sense - I like it

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
can someone explain what they've ever seen from Mario Ferraro to make them think that he's anything better than poor as an NHL defenseman?

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
can someone explain what they've ever seen from Mario Ferraro to make them think that he's anything better than poor as an NHL defenseman?
he graded out roughly even at 5v5 play on the top pair on what was far and away the worst team in the league. He's not Bobby Orr by any means but he is an upgrade at 3.25 million to whatever the f*** Ryan Lindgren is going to get monetarily.

As a middle pairing defenseman, you could do much much worse.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
he graded out roughly even at 5v5 play on the top pair on what was far and away the worst team in the league. He's not Bobby Orr by any means but he is an upgrade at 3.25 million to whatever the f*** Ryan Lindgren is going to get monetarily.

As a middle pairing defenseman, you could do much much worse.
where are you seeing those results?

NST for instance has him only being even in his 2nd year and getting worse every year, ultimately reaching abysmal levels this year.

Attachments

• 37C61E8B-9938-42D6-8ECB-86714974E925.png
    37C61E8B-9938-42D6-8ECB-86714974E925.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad