Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Jake Guentzel is an overrated player and exactly the kind of player that the Rangers always overpay to underperform here. Please don’t pay the guy for numbers inflated by a HOFer.

Fix. The. Defense. And. The. Offense. Will. Follow.

his numbers were great on Carolina too

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Skinner will be 33 next year. He's played 14 seasons and over 1000 NHL regular season games but 0 NHL playoff games. I think he holds the record of most regular season games without playing a playoff game. Teams he's on don't seem to reach even a playoffs marker of success. Is it just bad luck? I'm not sure I'd want to find out with a 33 year old and I don't see the Rangers trading their captain this summer let alone for a player with Skinner's history.
Trouba has more value than skinner atm.
Skinner is an awful defensive FWD and he takes a shit load of penalties. More than Trouba. ( which is a feat in itself)

He’s a tiny 1 dimensional forward with a concussion history.
He also would not see the ice on the man advantage here. pass

Trouba has greater value around the league. Big RD always do….
On a normal non-injury season Trouba will give a team between 30-40pts from the blue line and play with an edge.
When healthy he’s still one of the most feared open ice hitting D in the league.

Huge pass. If moving Trouba, I’d rather take back draft picks/a player coming back to help cap work rather than a 1. For 1 deal of similar $$/term

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Need to find the next Stralman for this D group.

Possession monster who's sneaky effective, flys under the radar and is a cheap 3rd pairing guy who can play 20+ min if needed.

Gus was a good signing that was similar but he was exposed in the playoffs. I'd like to give Jones an extended look in his spot although the result when it really matters may be the same.
Yes. Get me a Stralman/kevin Klein type to pair with jones.

There should be possibilities that can turn out that way.
Look at FLA with Forsling. Guy was waiver fodder and turns into a top 10 D.

If rangers can find someone half as good in the value bin, we’ll be lucky

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I could now see Lindgren going to Minnesota for Middleton and a small plus. They will probably also target Greenway or Jeannot. The big fish deal is maybe there. Or maybe not. They are going to load up on size and meat/potatoes though. Be so certain
Minnesota isn't trading Middleton! They have agreed to a deal that will be announced on july 1st when it's legal ! Bill Guerin doesn't trade players with size. Apparently its 4 by 4

Reactions: egelband

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
We just need 1 GM to sucker punch in the back of the head that's convinced Lindgren is the consolidation prize to tanev

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I could now see Lindgren going to Minnesota for Middleton and a small plus. They will probably also target Greenway or Jeannot. The big fish deal is maybe there. Or maybe not. They are going to load up on size and meat/potatoes though. Be so certain

It's very possible. I don't know if Lindgren for Middleton would be just straight up. I would think the Rangers would try to bulk up their D and their bottom 6 forwards. With Edstrom and Rempe more regular next year that might be more in house. Fox and Lindgren have chemistry but all playoffs Fox was targeted and knocked around a lot. It didn't help that he was a bit banged up but having a larger nastier partner might offset all that extra attention even if just a little. Lindgren's a gamer but he's not really all that physical....he's not that strong or a big hitter. He's a guy who can take a lot of abuse and will scrum a bit. This Goodrow move makes me think the Rangers believe they have younger players who can fill those bottom line spots from within. They have enough young players that could do that. They also have Cuylle on an ELC and Vesey and Brodzinski on cap friendly contracts.

Maybe the Rangers plan on using the cap savings from Goodrow to go shopping in July but we also got Igor, Lafreniere and Miller going into their contract year and all of them are going to need to be paid too.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Jeannot is a two pack of ass so I hope they don’t target him. Greenway is fine I guess but I wouldn’t pay much

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Agree to disagree. Kreider has great speed but he does not play a fast game. It comes in explosive spurts. I don't think a player that usually chips pucks deep and then glides in on a forecheck is considered a fast player. His game usually does not have pace to it.
I think he’s fast through the neutral zone, I think he’s quick to the puck on the boards when he really pushes for it, and calling him out for not pushing for every puck, isn’t fair as that’s not a part is his game and would be a waste of energy.

Reactions: bernmeister

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think he’s fast through the neutral zone, I think he’s quick to the puck on the boards when he really pushes for it, and calling him out for not pushing for every puck, isn’t fair as that’s not a part is his game and would be a waste of energy.
Not pushing for every puck isn't his game?

Isn't that a foundational issue with this team? That players don't think pushing for pucks is their job? Seems like it's part of the problem eh

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trouba has more value than skinner atm.
Skinner is an awful defensive FWD and he takes a shit load of penalties. More than Trouba. ( which is a feat in itself)

He’s a tiny 1 dimensional forward with a concussion history.
He also would not see the ice on the man advantage here. pass

Trouba has greater value around the league. Big RD always do….
On a normal non-injury season Trouba will give a team between 30-40pts from the blue line and play with an edge.
When healthy he’s still one of the most feared open ice hitting D in the league.

Huge pass. If moving Trouba, I’d rather take back draft picks/a player coming back to help cap work rather than a 1. For 1 deal of similar $$/term

Contrary to how some people look at these things your best players don't always make your best leaders. A prime example for us was Brian Leetch who had no ambition for and was always uncomfortable with the C. That doesn't mean he wasn't a leader on the ice but he had too much of a low key personality off of it and I think he also realized that there was no way he was going to replace what Messier would do in the locker room.

Trouba's ascension to the C it seems was universally approved within the Rangers locker room. Do I think there's a possibility he gets moved before the term of his contract ends? Yeah.....but not this summer. It's going to depend on how next year's team does and maybe it happens before the next deadline or the next summer. I'm thinking he's not getting anywhere near the contract either in term or compensation that he has now.....and maybe he's traded before it's over.

I think also the Rangers have an issue with physicality from their D and he is by far the most physical and most intimidating defender they have and IMO they need more not less of this quality. I don't think the D was good enough against Florida. I also don't think the forwards were.....so upgrades are needed. One would also hope that some of our younger players including Miller and Schneider are just going to get better.

I get that the Rangers and Rangers fans are not happy how the season ended. There's a tendency to overreact and fans quite often and particularly Rangers fans are usually very quick to express their displeasure. Worse though when a team's management overreacts. I don't think there's any question at this point that the Rangers have the pieces to be a legitimate contender....they just showed in their loss to the Panthers they didn't have as much as Florida did. That said if the Rangers had got past the Panther somehow they would have won the Cup this year. We're in the top echelon of teams....we're just not the top team yet.

Reactions: Ranger Wolf

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Rangers are not trading roster players for 2nd rounders over the next 2-3 years.
lindy is not worth 2 2nds
you have to adjust and be creative like this to max return
to pay for prior mistakes w/stupid win now rentals

And it is not like this is for all players
just Lindy + maybe Trouba

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes. Get me a Stralman/kevin Klein type to pair with jones.

There should be possibilities that can turn out that way.
Look at FLA with Forsling. Guy was waiver fodder and turns into a top 10 D.

If rangers can find someone half as good in the value bin, we’ll be lucky

I think Oliver Kylington has a chance at being this

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
still a work in progress:
first draft

something like this:
Dahlin, Power, 11OA, Skinner
for
30oa, Shesty, Zib, Lindy, Trouba, Othmann

rationale:
Sabes need to jump start
Skinner not top end and declining

above subtracts heart of their def corps and replaces w/stopgaps = huge negative
but
Zib >>> Skinner on age, $$, production = big +
add elite Vez quality G
Othmann = elc add, helps grow Fs
retain late 1st

Rs rationale
have to consider a big move to get to finals IF IF IF we can add foundation pieces when overpaying, to be expected w/a big move

Rs need to move Shesty now if return high enuf, be forced to get Garand + his elc going, structural cap

Skinner borderline sucks and is wrong direction comp to Zib, but other aspects worth it

Dahlin + Power = star 1st pair
Fox + Schneid = solid RD
KAM + Scanlin gets 1st short while Fortescue challenges next season
voila! our D is fixed
barring injury = solid 6

---------
the pivots are thinner, but that will require separate deals

Kreider -Brodz (stopgap) _______ - Skinner
bread - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Good - Edst - Rempe

Vesey

Panarin not gonna be extended anywhere near 11+m = low/no offer = ugly, predict he will ok trade to location of his liking
FL w/Bob etc fits the bill, they need to add esp if top scorer leaves ufa

If bread to FL, Mikkola to NY and

^^accident apologies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Contrary to how some people look at these things your best players don't always make your best leaders. A prime example for us was Brian Leetch who had no ambition for and was always uncomfortable with the C. That doesn't mean he wasn't a leader on the ice but he had too much of a low key personality off of it and I think he also realized that there was no way he was going to replace what Messier would do in the locker room.

Trouba's ascension to the C it seems was universally approved within the Rangers locker room. Do I think there's a possibility he gets moved before the term of his contract ends? Yeah.....but not this summer. It's going to depend on how next year's team does and maybe it happens before the next deadline or the next summer. I'm thinking he's not getting anywhere near the contract either in term or compensation that he has now.....and maybe he's traded before it's over.

I think also the Rangers have an issue with physicality from their D and he is by far the most physical and most intimidating defender they have and IMO they need more not less of this quality. I don't think the D was good enough against Florida. I also don't think the forwards were.....so upgrades are needed. One would also hope that some of our younger players including Miller and Schneider are just going to get better.

I get that the Rangers and Rangers fans are not happy how the season ended. There's a tendency to overreact and fans quite often and particularly Rangers fans are usually very quick to express their displeasure. Worse though when a team's management overreacts. I don't think there's any question at this point that the Rangers have the pieces to be a legitimate contender....they just showed in their loss to the Panthers they didn't have as much as Florida did. That said if the Rangers had got past the Panther somehow they would have won the Cup this year. We're in the top echelon of teams....we're just not the top team yet.
If you think physicality from the defense is what this team is missing then I think you are sorely mistaken.

The problem is, I’m not gonna be shocked if this is what Drury is thinking as well.

We are lacking mobility and puck movement on defense.

Reactions: tiggles

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I honestly don't believe the Rangers use Goodrow cap space to add a player in the 29+ age range UFA.

I see Lindgren getting moved for a asset(s) and said asset being part of a deal for a top pair LD in their mid 20s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad