Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was an idea to dump Trouba.

Skinner had a down year and still managed 24 goals and 46 points in 74 games. The two years prior he put up 68 goals and 145 points in 159 games.

Skinner has been a very up and down player in his career, but the guy can still skate and he always kills us. He has the reputation as being a lot worse than he actually is.

If we can find a way to move Trouba without taking back a similar cap hit, I'm all for it. I just don't see a lot of options out there.
I understand why having Trouba might appeal to Buffalo but IMO not at $9m for two years and then $4.5m for nothing in year 3 (when we are discussing retaining some of Trouba's cap cost in a variety of ranges).

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Very curious to see what CD has in mind if Goody is bought out and KK traded. With Shesty and Laff extensions it’s hard to imagine a big fish in FA.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Very curious to see what CD has in mind if Goody is bought out and KK traded. With Shesty and Laff extensions it’s hard to imagine a big fish in FA.

Probably to fill all the holes he created by trading Goodrow and Kakko.

Kakko isn't going anywhere though.

Reactions: bhamill

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I understand why having Trouba might appeal to Buffalo but IMO not at $9m for two years and then $4.5m for nothing in year 3 (when we are discussing retaining some of Trouba's cap cost in a variety of ranges).
They currently have Skinner for 3 years at 9 mil, which was the impetus for the idea. However, it seems like they are likely to buy him out, which makes my idea moot.

Reactions: kovazub94

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Maybe, don't see it though. Makes almost no sense to trade him while his value is low.
How about being part of a deal for Zegras, both sides buying low
Ironically I think playing for his childhood team would add that level of intensity & make him player a more rounded game, he wants to win it all here as bad as Fox does. And I think his intensity and him being some pond hockey player is very overstated because people see a few crazy highlights, he is not some pansy and isn't afraid of going to the net, and he gets into lots of scrums after whistles. He has the attitude. He has tons of skill to create offense and is great in transition specifically which we sorely need. Especially with Chytils future up in the air

If we do it, I think the other players we add have to be a much different archetype of player though. Need some absolute menaces

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
What is the top end of a reasonable AAV for Guentzel. Rangers always overpay in free agency for the missing element of the prior season.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
What is the top end of a reasonable AAV for Guentzel. Rangers always overpay in free agency for the missing element of the prior season.
Trouble is, what you needed last season isn't what you necessarily need next season. Seems to be why we always miss the boat.

I'd say let the young players come in and show us what they can do and see what shakes free during the season. Someone always does. But getting a guy for just cap is always enticing. Guentzel will be too expensive and 2 years later than we needed him.

But what do I know? Always funny to shit in Carolina's cereal.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouble is, what you needed last season isn't what you necessarily need next season. Seems to be why we always miss the boat.

I'd say let the young players come in and show us what they can do and see what shakes free during the season. Someone always does. But getting a guy for just cap is always enticing. Guentzel will be too expensive and 2 years later than we needed him.

But what do I know? Always funny to shit in Carolina's cereal.
I dunno Drury did decently in the offseason last year.
Gus and quick were great pickups.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I really find it hard to say no to Kane if he's willing to take even less than he did with DET. The only fear I have is that he's a living curse for us after what happened against the Devils, but this isn't the Gallant Rangers and this isn't an injured Kane. He would solve our #1RW hole for next season at least and it wouldn't break the bank.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Hope so. As I said we should've signed him instead of Detroit, he's night & day better after surgery.

I don't want commitment to Kane. For one year? I guess.

I'll 100% take Kane for a year or 2 as our prospects develop. Id rather sign him then take on some crappy contracts wondering if theyll work with the wonder twins.

If Kane comes begging to play in New York again, fine. Not someone we should actually pursue. The last time we caved because of Dolan probably saw the dollar figures in selling 88 jerseys lol.

I'm getting these Jake Guentzel feels all overrrr
NO, NO, NO, NO -- a hundred million times NO!!!!

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How about being part of a deal for Zegras, both sides buying low
Ironically I think playing for his childhood team would add that level of intensity & make him player a more rounded game, he wants to win it all here as bad as Fox does. And I think his intensity and him being some pond hockey player is very overstated because people see a few crazy highlights, he is not some pansy and isn't afraid of going to the net, and he gets into lots of scrums after whistles. He has the attitude. He has tons of skill to create offense and is great in transition specifically which we sorely need. Especially with Chytils future up in the air

If we do it, I think the other players we add have to be a much different archetype of player though. Need some absolute menaces
Didn't we try that with Shattenkirk? Look how that turned out.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I could now see Lindgren going to Minnesota for Middleton and a small plus. They will probably also target Greenway or Jeannot. The big fish deal is maybe there. Or maybe not. They are going to load up on size and meat/potatoes though. Be so certain
Middleton and a 3rd would be a good deal for both sides so long as the plan is to

A) play Middleton on the bottom pair. He's useless anywhere else
B) go after a top 4 D (Theodore, Chychrun, or even signing Zadorov)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Middleton and a 3rd would be a good deal for both sides so long as the plan is to

A) play Middleton on the bottom pair. He's useless anywhere else
B) go after a top 4 D (Theodore, Chychrun, or even signing Zadorov)
Lindgren + 2024 3rd for 2 2nds from UT, flexible about which ones/when

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
10M.

There isnt many top end players available, he will get a lot of offers and someone will grossly overpay.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
10M.

There isnt many top end players available, he will get a lot of offers and someone will grossly overpay.
I think that only happens if he goes for the money. No contending team has that kind of cap for him without bigger moves they'd probably regret.

If he goes Utah, Seattle, or maybe Chicago, then yes a 70m contract.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think that only happens if he goes for the money. No contending team has that kind of cap for him without bigger moves they'd probably regret.

If he goes Utah, Seattle, or maybe Chicago, then yes a 70m contract.
True, but he's won a cup before, he might be looking to cash in now on his big payday. Even a team like the Hawks might not look that bad, they have a decent future coming up.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad