Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We've traded our captain in the middle of contending before. Why not to the Islanders?

I know people don't like the Islanders, especially the older fans, but it's not like we'd be trading him to Carolina. We haven't played the Islanders in the playoffs in 30 years.
Because lou would never do it.

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
Over the last 3 years, Lindgren has played 2941 mins with Fox at 5v5, and 430 away. Fox has played about 590 mins away from Lindgren.

Together:
CF: 51.16%
FF: 51.8%
SF: 51.39%
GF: 58.59%
xGF: 50.29%
HDCF: 51.98%
HDGF: 56.25%

No Fox:
CF: 42.84%
FF: 44.18%
SF: 46.35%
GF: 50%
xGF: 40.11%
HDCF: 41.56%
HDGF: 35.71%

No Lindgren
CF: 60.86%
FF: 61.02%
SF: 61.96%
GF: 55%
xGF: 62.08%
HDCF: 59.77%
HDGF: 58.06%
Crystal clear

Reactions: UnSandvich

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
We've traded our captain in the middle of contending before. Why not to the Islanders?

I know people don't like the Islanders, especially the older fans, but it's not like we'd be trading him to Carolina. We haven't played the Islanders in the playoffs in 30 years.
Not saying I wouldn’t do it, just saying there is no way the org would do it. Just too risky of a move for Drury and co. Even more than that I guarantee Dolan would veto that on sight.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
We've made trades with the Devils. That's worse.
I think it’s equally bad and again…Trouba is the current captain. I think that makes it a non-starter. I think smaller deals are always possible. Fan favorites and current leadership/captains most likely off the table in a rival trade.

UnparalledPark

Jun 15, 2022

Never forget!

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Crystal clear

This is a common occurrence for a pair consisting of a top player and a defensive player. First example I can think of is Doughty/Anderson in LA. One guy who is the top PP guy and involved in offense. The other guy being a defensive player who plays PK and late game situatons.

Last 2 years:

CF% together: 53.4
Doughty Alone: 56.3
Anderson alone: 50.

xG% together: 52.5
Doughty Alone: 57.4
Anderson alone: 42.2

Reactions: Uglybstrd

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think it’s equally bad and again…Trouba is the current captain. I think that makes it a non-starter. I think smaller deals are always possible. Fan favorites and current leadership/captains most likely off the table in a rival trade.
The Lightning and the Rangers exchanged captains in 2014 with both teams contending, and knowing an ECF matchup was possible. It happened the following year.

There's a precedent for it.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a common occurrence for a pair consisting of a top player and a defensive player. First example I can think of is Doughty/Anderson in LA. One guy who is the top PP guy and involved in offense. The other guy being a defensive player who plays PK and late game situatons.

Last 2 years:

CF% together: 53.4
Doughty Alone: 56.3
Anderson alone: 50.

xG% together: 52.5
Doughty Alone: 57.4
Anderson alone: 42.2
Lindgren being a "defensive guy" is a bold premise.
download (11).png

Reactions: Atax and UnSandvich

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The Lightning and the Rangers exchanged captains in 2014 with both teams contending, and knowing an ECF matchup was possible. It happened the following year.

There's a precedent for it.
That’s a pretty good example. Not too far off but I think that it’s “different” if it’s devil/flyers/islanders. Again I’d be all about it, but just feel like these franchises wouldn’t go there.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Trouba is the most Lamoreillo player of all time. Ive been joking with my islander fan friends about this and they are petrified of it happening, so Im really pulling for this haha

would you trade Trouba for Dougie Hamilton?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why is it bold? If we're banking on EH player cards, his defensive ratings from each of the last 3 years prior to this one were 87, 88, 93. It seems more likely that it was an anomaly of a bad year.
If people were confident Lindgren were going back to that or could do that on other pairs, there wouldn't be so much talk about moving him.

The reality is, this is a guy going to be 27 this coming season who has been hurt just about his entire career, and has never played without Adam Fox, a marriage many people want to end even if Lindgren does rebound.

Reactions: Atax

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The NY Times has an article today about Drurys possible targets. The article Tyler Toffoli, Brady Kachook and Martin Necas. I'd prefer the last 2 because of age. Later in the article the writer said Kachook is not available. I think Kachook would be available if he wanted out.

Reactions: leetch99

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The NY Times has an article today about Drurys possible targets. The article Tyler Toffoli, Brady Kachook and Martin Necas. I'd prefer the last 2 because of age. Later in the article the writer said Kachook is not available. I think Kachook would be available if he wanted out.
Toffoli could be a perfect fit with the BFFs

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Trade for Chychrun. He only makes 4.6 and will be on the block. I always do my homework.
Its a catch 22. Higher cap hit players won't squeeze in. Lower cap hit players like Chych open the doors for so many teams(and every single teams needs another good defensemen). Trade value becomes the issue. Of course, the Rangers feel close enough to go all in, just saying, it will be painful.

Reactions: bernmeister

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Its a catch 22. Higher cap hit players won't squeeze in. Lower cap hit players like Chych open the doors for so many teams(and every single teams needs another good defensemen). Trade value becomes the issue. Of course, the Rangers feel close enough to go all in, just saying, it will be painful.

Losing in the ECF when we wouldve beaten the West winner is painful. Igor and Laf are on the last year of being cheap. Im not hoarding assets right now. Rangers need to get better.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Trade for Chychrun. He only makes 4.6 and will be on the block. I always do my homework.
Your homework was to specify what players we are obtaining, how we are obtaining them, what we are giving up in the process, and how those players will fit under the cap both short and long term. And if it's not too much trouble, show how those moves make us a better team overall.

Necas is looking for a significant raise this year. Chychrun only has 1 year left on his contract, after which he will be looking for a significant raise. Laf and Shesty are also in line for significant raises next summer. Lindgren, who you also want to replace, won't be replaced by someone who is both better and makes less.

Advocating for trades without considering any of the downstream consequences isn't much of a plan. That strategy didn't work out very well for Doctor Evil:

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I really don't get all the love for Chychrun. Is he good sure, but he reminds me of Miller to me. By that I mean (from my very limited viewing of him) he makes plays that really stick out both good and bad. When he makes a solid play it's really noticeable but his whiffs are so glaring. He's also older, constantly injured and Ottawa is already willing to move him after 1 year of getting him. He has 1 point in 9 playoff games, so who knows if he can show up for them. Would I like him sure, but not trading away Miller or higher end prospects for a hope that they get him and he can play a full season. If Ottawa wants to do Chychrun for Lindgren and a mid round pick I'm in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00