Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Brooks advocating to buyout Goodrow if he can’t be moved to free up cap space. I wish we could just renegotiate contracts like in football bc he’s a clutch playoff performer, but if they want to add anyone significant, they probably have to do it

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I doubt the Leafs have the scrote to trade away Marner
Meh, they want to. But seems like Marner is holding tight. I think that's the smart thing to do, as long as he can take on the booing and hate from the fans. Which, so far in his career, he has been unable to take.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Brooks is right about dumping Goodrow, but I’m not sure why he’s against retaining? Give me retaining 1.1 for 3 years instead of getting the one year buyout credit and 5 years of cap hit.

Definitely shouldn’t add a sweetener though to get rid of him, he’s right there.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks advocating to buyout Goodrow if he can’t be moved to free up cap space. I wish we could just renegotiate contracts like in football bc he’s a clutch playoff performer, but if they want to add anyone significant, they probably have to do it
EF has said the role players like Dakota Joshua and William Carrier will be in heavy demand this summer. Even Kevin Stenlund will get a very good contract based on his play for Florida. Bill Zito knew Stenlund from their time together in Columbus. $1M. Zito has done such a tremendous job in Florida filling the holes. Barclay Goodrow will not be much cheaper than some of the players receiving free agent contracts on July 1. Having $3.6M on the fourth line is bad cap management. That $3.6M could be spent to add top 6 winger or top 4 D. The Rangers always seem to be a short another winger or D every year. The Rangers can find a player at $1M to replace what Goodrow brings at $3,641,667. If Goodrow was a free agent in two weeks, teams would be throwing big contracts at him. They can have Goodrow for just three more years at $3,641,667.

How many Cup winning teams had a 4th liner making $3,641,667?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Can I just say, even though this is the wrong topic to post it on but what the actual f*** is Utah doing? Why are we naming the team the Utah hockey club? What type of fugazi crap is that?!! Literally makes the nhl worst league
What is Utah known for? Can't really call them the Mormons.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I don’t get it, we are not European soccer. Grow a set of a balls and pick a good team nam. How bout we call ourselves the ny hockey club lol. Just stupid. Have had 2 years to figure out a name.
We're called the Rangers because it's a pun on the original owners name... not sure we are really in a place to be calling out other teams' names

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You have to move on from Goodrow. We survived having him around this year, can't do it again. Plenty of teams with space that have veteran voids. Sending him back to San Jose would be ideal for everyone

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Doesn’t matter what the origin is, it’s a great name. So great a baseball team stole it from us.
I'd argue it's a pretty terrible name, but I guess that's kind if the point. Most sports team names are very subjective, and over enough time end up being considered good even if people don't like them, or they don't make much sense, at inception

Reactions: Ail

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
EF has said the role players like Dakota Joshua and William Carrier will be in heavy demand this summer. Even Kevin Stenlund will get a very good contract based on his play for Florida. Bill Zito knew Stenlund from their time together in Columbus. $1M. Zito has done such a tremendous job in Florida filling the holes. Barclay Goodrow will not be much cheaper than some of the players receiving free agent contracts on July 1. Having $3.6M on the fourth line is bad cap management. That $3.6M could be spent to add top 6 winger or top 4 D. The Rangers always seem to be a short another winger or D every year. The Rangers can find a player at $1M to replace what Goodrow brings at $3,641,667. If Goodrow was a free agent in two weeks, teams would be throwing big contracts at him. They can have Goodrow for just three more years at $3,641,667.

How many Cup winning teams had goalies making a combined 14.5 mil? It's looking like the answer to that will be one pretty soon.

Overpaying players isn't ideal, but teams can still win if they are smart. That's not to suggest that we should keep Goodrow, but him being overpaid isn't the difference between us winning and not winning the cup.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'd argue it's a pretty terrible name, but I guess that's kind if the point. Most sports team names are very subjective, and over enough time end up being considered good even if people don't like them, or they don't make much sense, at inception
Rangers is an inherently cool name, because it refers to a sweet group of dudes, whether it be Texas, US Army, Power, or Rescue variety.

Unlike Canadiens, or Maple Leafs, or whatever the hell a Bruin is

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Brooks been different this offseason.

Never thought I’d see the day where he’d be advocating moving on from Trouba and Goodrow. Now he still thinks Lindgren is a must keep so I know that the true Brooksie is still in there someway but still quite the change of opinion.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Rangers is an inherently cool name, because it refers to a sweet group of dudes, whether it be Texas, US Army, Power, or Rescue variety.

Unlike Canadiens, or Maple Leafs, or whatever the hell a Bruin is
If we want to make our mascot these guys I'm all for it
1718491494330.jpeg

but most of the silhouette about modern hockey names is that have nothing to do with at least one of: the city/area, hockey, ice/cold.
Rangers also doesn't tick any of those boxes, but it's acceptable because it's been around for almost 100 years. If you went to call a new team in NY the Rangers the internet would kill itself.
Although I still say they should actually change it to NY Ranges so you could at least have some kind of mountain silhouette on the jersey and tie it back to cold temperatures while not changing how it is said...

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

I agree but EF just speculates most of the time. We’ll see what the contracts look like. Would you rather have Goodrow for 3 years at 3.6 or Joshua for 4 at 3.8

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
That is a very low bar
I think they have a good color scheme.

And frankly I think it’s better than a few current names.

Looking at you Kraken, Golden Knights, and Wild.

If you want to get real controversial, “Maple Leafs”is an extremely dumb team name too. We just accept it because it’s been around forever.

Utah Latter-Day Saints
Wasatch Warriors.

Buying out Goodrow to overpay another bottom 6 player would be classic Rangers.
Agreed. Goodrow buyout needs to be replaced by an ELC. Otherwise it’s not worth it

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think they have a good color scheme.

And frankly I think it’s better than a few current names.

Looking at you Kraken, Golden Knights, and Wild.

If you want to get real controversial, “Maple Leafs”is an extremely dumb team name too. We just accept it because it’s been around forever.

Wasatch Warriors.

Agreed. Goodrow buyout needs to be replaced by an ELC. Otherwise it’s not worth it
Edstrom should replace Goodrow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 3