Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part I: Summer Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Not strictly Rangers related, but...couple guys playing in Da Beauty League again this year, for all you MN folks out there.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Similar faces parroting a Larry Brooks article. In the same piece he absolves blame from Brooks Orpik and puts it on Ovechkin for the Caps inability to win.

That Orpik contract is the reason they've lost players this offseason.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Add a top 6 center and another 2 depth pieces at forward and this team is ready to go.

If you can get Bozak for Holden and a pick which is not a #1 go for it.

Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Miller - Bozak - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Nash
Grabner - DD - Fast
Depth signing (Winnik?)

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - DeAngelo
Bear Gloves

Rotate Staal and Bear Gloves.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm open to trading McDonagh and any other player on the team. But I wouldn't be looking to deal him simply because his contract is up in two years.

This is exactly what Chicago just did with Hammer. He is 2 years older than McD, but the premise is the same. Chicago had no intention of paying him big money/term at 32 years old, so they traded him for Murphy and Laurent.

Murphy isn't as good as Hammer, but he is an established top 4 dman who is 6 years younger than Hammer and cost controlled for the next 5 years. Laurent had decent numbers in the AHL last year and played 24 games for Arizona. If he becomes a good bottom 6 player for Chicago, that's a bonus.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is exactly what Chicago just did with Hammer. He is 2 years older than McD, but the premise is the same. Chicago had no intention of paying him big money/term at 32 years old, so they traded him for Murphy and Laurent.

Murphy isn't as good as Hammer, but he is an established top 4 dman who is 6 years younger than Hammer and cost controlled for the next 5 years. Laurent had decent numbers in the AHL last year and played 24 games for Arizona. If he becomes a good bottom 6 player for Chicago, that's a bonus.

Chicago also has cap issues (over the cap including the Hossa contract) and I'm pretty sure Murphy is actually really bad and hugely overpaid. Hjalmarsson is also nowhere near the player McDonagh is since he provides nothing offensively.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd like to imagine the scenario where Dallas stumbles out of the gates again, everyone is miserable under Hitchcock and the Rangers open the vault for Seguin

I don't think we have the pieces to trade for Seguin and still ice a championship quality team. They are going to want a lot for him if they trade him, and rightfully so.

We have strengthened our prospect pool, but those players need time to improve their value. We would need to send significant roster players back to Dallas. I'm sure they would want Skjei, and probably Miller and one of Andersson/Chytil and maybe a 1st on top of that. And then in 2019, all of Zucc, McD and Seguin would be UFA.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Add a top 6 center and another 2 depth pieces at forward and this team is ready to go.

Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Miller - Bozak - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Nash
Grabner - DD - Fast
Depth signing (Winnik?)

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - DeAngelo
Bear Gloves

I can sign up for this. We aren't getting Winnik for a 13th F however, doesn't matter. Staal in press box.

Hard decisions on McD and MZA in the next 18 months.....unless of course we remove Staals contract

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There was talk of Seguin being moved if the contract demands are high and the Stars are not in contention. But with Hitch there, and Ben Bishop... I think you'll see a fringe playoff team with them.

I doubt they move a lock of a 70 point center. That's a team that doesn't seem to produce a lot of players internally in recent years and are relying on 30+ guys to eat heavier minutes. Price would be huge for him.

The Rangers will have to get creative down the middle.

DET is headed for a deep plunge... is Zetterberg realistic?

He's old yeah, but he's also produced and is a leader.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Miller - Bozak - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Nash
Grabner - DD - Fast
Depth signing (Winnik?)

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - DeAngelo
Bear Gloves

Bozak doesn't make them better. They need a better player even if it costs more.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think we have the pieces to trade for Seguin and still ice a championship quality team. They are going to want a lot for him if they trade him, and rightfully so.

We have strengthened our prospect pool, but those players need time to improve their value. We would need to send significant roster players back to Dallas. I'm sure they would want Skjei, and probably Miller and one of Andersson/Chytil and maybe a 1st on top of that. And then in 2019, all of Zucc, McD and Seguin would be UFA.

Would gladly trade Skjei, Buchnevich and 1st for Seguin.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bozak isn't great but if the cost is Holden and a pick that's fine

Toronto is in a tight spot with the cap so

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Bozak doesn't make them better. They need a better player even if it costs more.

Agree with this.

I mean, I wouldn't be against a Holden for Bozak swap, as it leverages an area of strength to build on an area of weakness, but I view it as a solid depth option, and roster rationalization. You've swapped your 30 year old 7th/8th defenseman with one year left on his contract for a 30 year old 2nd/3rd center with one year left on his contract. It's worth doing, but it still leaves the team in need for a true top-6 center (preferably a 1C).

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
What's nice about Bozak is his commitment is over at the same time that Tavares becomes available

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Bozak's North-South style of play fits NYR's needs to a tee right now.

I don't think you could ask for much better without giving up major assets in return.

Good faceoff man
PP option
Good speed
1 year contract

As maligned as Bozak has been by TML fans, he runs consistent #2C numbers over the past half decade. I'd rather have Anisimov, but it looks like a good fit for a trade.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Bozak isn't traded out east... remember this is Lou Lams... I'd look into Holden @ 50% for Tanner Kero.

Realistic trade for both teams and fills needs. Hell I'd ask for a pick from the Hawks for the cap savings.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Erik Karlsson will be a UFA in 2 years time, same as McD, and is 1 year younger...just saying...

The decision has to be made on every player. Some players you bite the bullet on the long term deal into their mid 30s. Other players you trade rather than give them that deal. It's a hard thing to get right, but something that GMs have to consider.

Karlsson is one of the best dmen in the league. If he is still playing at the same level in 2 years, I'm sure Ottawa will re-sign him. Would he sign a 4 or 5 year deal?

Look at what SJ has done with Thornton. His current contract is for 1 year. His last 4 contracts before that were all 3 year deals. He has made roughly the same money on all 4 of those deals and has an even higher AAV on his newest deal. He has continued to play well and has continued to earn big money, but SJ has mitigated their risk by signing him to short term deals.

That's a great model for teams to follow. Maybe you don't sign all of your players to 3 year deals. Obviously you want to lock some up long term, especially good RFAs where you can save some on future caps by going long term, but as a player gets older, shorter term deals are better.

Washington just gave Oshie 8 years at age 30. That's going to be a problem in the future. We've seen way too many players decline in their early 30s.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bozak's North-South style of play fits NYR's needs to a tee right now.

I don't think you could ask for much better without giving up major assets in return.

Good faceoff man
PP option
Good speed
1 year contract

As maligned as Bozak has been by TML fans, he runs consistent #2C numbers over the past half decade. I'd rather have Anisimov, but it looks like a good fit for a trade.

Yeah he's been hammered because he was Phil's running mate on some terrible teams... but this is a classic case of a guy whose value is a lot higher with GM's than your avg fan.

He fits this system very nicely, and the Rangers liked him for a while. Holden + Prospect for Bozak + a SPC is a win for both teams.

They also have a guy that may be underrated in Miro Altonen... much like a Wallmark in CAR... proven in other pro leagues.

Staal's NMC complicates things, but I would love to be rid of him, but maybe that's a mid-season trade. Minnesota is banking on two kids and two part time players on their backend.

Mike Reilly may finally be ready, and that Olaf kid... but that's not a formula for contention.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Bozak doesn't do it for me.

the point of bozak is to not pay a big price for a top 6 center, and allow another year for Andersson to develop before playing for the big club.. it would be a cost efficient move..

if we're making a big move id easily move McDonagh for McKinnon which has been mentioned 1000000 times on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad