Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Wouldn't do Hutton, but I'd do Granlund for Duclair.

I wouldn't trade Granlund for Duclair. The latter is a greater risk to flame out of the league entirely. Granlund can catch on somewhere as a depth forward.

Maybe Goldobin?

Duclair has been afforded a great opportunity in Arizona, and has been found wanting. Ideally, they give up someone like Dowd for him. Nothing for a maybe something.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would trade any of Sutter, Granlund, Goldobin, Gagner, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Eriksson for him. All various reasoning (contract dump or higher upside)

Reactions: timw33

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I would trade any of Sutter, Granlund, Goldobin, Gagner, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Eriksson for him. All various reasoning (contract dump or higher upside)
Grunlund and Gudbranson could get more as their contracts. Goldobin seems fair. The other 3 players might be worth it contract wise but they all pkay a bigger role than Duclair would. How about Stecher? Why Pouliot and not Stecher or Hutton? I would prefer to keep the younger d man.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Because Pouliot has looked like an ECHL defenseman half the games he's played. The other half he looks like a #4.

When Hutton has a bad game, it's usually not even that bad and seems worse than it is because his mistake is usually so obvious (gets walked, or a blown coverage)

People don't seem to notice the little things, which is why people genuinely believe Hutton has been worse than Del Zaster or Pouliot. Their mistakes just aren't as obvious.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
How about Stecher? Why Pouliot and not Stecher or Hutton? I would prefer to keep the younger d man.
I figured at first that he was illustrating how many Benning acquisitions have equal or lesser value than a guy like Duclair who has shown pretty limited promise but I guess he'd have included Stech so idk.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Because Pouliot has looked like an ECHL defenseman half the games he's played. The other half he looks like a #4.

When Hutton has a bad game, it's usually not even that bad and seems worse than it is because his mistake is usually so obvious (gets walked, or a blown coverage)

People don't seem to notice the little things, which is why people genuinely believe Hutton has been worse than Del Zaster or Pouliot. Their mistakes just aren't as obvious.

I think Hutton has been okay defensively. It is his lack of offense that has been disappointing. Same goes for Stecher. Pouliot has been running the second pp pretty good and a bit of offense otherwise. I think he has passed Stecher and Hutton on depth charts. Though that can change as Hutton and Stecher looked good in their rookie years.
Anyway i do not know what Declair does for Canuck team. So would want to give up an extra player like Goldobin if anything. Do not know what Goldobin does for Phoenix either tbh. We have a lot of players would be looking for more quality rather than other borderline NHL players.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Saw a Sens fan on Twitter saying yes to a Gudbranson+Baertschi+pick deal for Hoffman.

As much as I like Baertschi, that would be a great deal.

Hoffman-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Vanek-Gagner-Goldobin
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen
xtra fwd:Gaunce

Edler-Tanev
DelZotto-Pouliot
Hutton-Stecher
xtra d:Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
With all of Tanevs injuries likely damaging his value in a trade (wouldn't accept anything less than a top 10 pick or a late 1st + legit prospect) I'm starting to think it might be best just to hang on to him to stabilize our young d corps.

If the right offer comes along hop on it but it might not be a good idea to push him out the door at this point

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Saw a Sens fan on Twitter saying yes to a Gudbranson+Baertschi+pick deal for Hoffman.

Hoffman-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Vanek-Gagner-Goldobin
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
DelZotto-Pouliot
Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom
Nilsson

Hoffman would be a huge upgrade on Baertschi, but can't see Ottawa making this move. And absolutely just sick of bleeding picks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
With all of Tanevs injuries likely damaging his value in a trade (wouldn't accept anything less than a top 10 pick or a late 1st + legit prospect) I'm starting to think it might be best just to hang on to him to stabilize our young d corps.

If the right offer comes along hop on it but it might not be a good idea to push him out the door at this point

I think the next GM trades Tanev at the end of next year. That will give the destination team some time to evaluate him before he is re-signed there.

His constant injuries do affect his value though, I agree.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gudbranson for a couple draft picks would be a dream come true. Still hoping it can happen.

I would assume that we would get one secure pick, plus a conditional additional pick that is late round if he walks as UFA, and is 3rd round if he re-signs.

Getting picks and non-age gap players back would be amazing.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Hoffman would be a huge upgrade on Baertschi, but can't see Ottawa making this move. And absolutely just sick of bleeding picks.
I can't see us moving Baertschi either due to the Winterhawks tie in with Green, but if you can upgrade for 2 roster players+pick into a Mike Hoffman then that would be insane.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009

Hoffman-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Vanek-Gagner-Goldobin
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
DelZotto-Pouliot
Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom
Nilsson

Off-season (29.3M in cap space):
Re-sign both Sedins at 4m each. (8m used, 21.3M in cap space)
Re-sign Vanek at 2m again (19.3M in cap space)
Re-sign both Granlund+Virtanen at ~1.5M each being a rough ball park guess (16.3M in cap space)
Re-sign Stecher at Hutton money. 2.8m (13.5M in cap space)
Re-sign Pouliot at 1.25M (12.25 in cap space)
Re-sign Chaput, Boucher, Dowd for 700k each and send them to the AHL

Hoffman-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Vanek-Gagner-Goldobin
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce

Edler-Tanev
DelZotto-Pouliot
Hutton-Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Ideally we can retain salary on Sam Gagner and get a pick at the draft , Jannik Hansen's salary retention is over after this year. We'd have 12.25M in cap roughly to make moves with. Utica needs some help.

Some targets for Free Agency:

Left Wing:
Evander Kane. We all know the story there. He's a hell of a goal scorer though. Currently 26 years old heading into Free Agency if Buffalo or the team that trades for him doesn't lock him up.

Jonathan Marchessault. Proved to not be a one hit wonder in Florida and has shown glimers of hope in Vegas. Could give him a nice raise from the 750k he is currently making.

Patrick Maroon. Would add some needed toughness to our team. His hands are made out of stone though.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd like for management to go this way in the offseason:

Starting Template:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Granlund
Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Goldobin-Dowd

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Del Zotto-Pouliot
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

In Season:

1. Gudbranson is traded for a prospect + pick.
2. Vanek is moved at the deadline for a prospect.

Offseason:

1. Trade Sutter, Gagner and Del Zotto for picks and prospects. The hardest to move will be Gagner, obviously.
2. Re-sign the Sedins if they want to come back, 3.5m~ AAV.
3. Allow Dowd, Biega and Boucher to walk.
4. Re-sign Baertschi to a 4m~ AAV deal.
5. Re-sign Granlund to a 2m~ AAV deal.
6. Re-sign Virtanen to a 1.5m~ AAV deal.
7. Re-sign Stecher and Pouliot to 1.5m~ AAV deals.
6. Let Dowd and Biega walk.

New Roster:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce

Hutton-Tanev
Juolevi-Tryamkin
Edler-Stecher
Pouliot-XXXX

Markstrom
Nilsson

1. No major UFA signings.
2. Leave 2 spots open for other graduates/waiver wire.
3. Bring in 2 other Dmen (or 1 other subject to point #4 below). Go with 8 D and 13 forwards.
4. Seriously look into buying out 2/3rds of Tryamkin's KHL contract to bring him back.
5. See if an Edler trade can be worked out, or a sweetheart deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: yvrtojfk

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'd like for management to go this way in the offseason:

Starting Template:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Granlund
Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Goldobin-Dowd

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Del Zotto-Pouliot
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

In Season:

1. Gudbranson is traded for a prospect + pick.
2. Vanek is moved at the deadline for a prospect.

Offseason:

1. Trade Sutter, Gagner and Del Zotto for picks and prospects. The hardest to move will be Gagner, obviously.
2. Re-sign the Sedins if they want to come back, 3.5m~ AAV.
3. Allow Dowd, Biega and Boucher to walk.
4. Re-sign Baertschi to a 4m~ AAV deal.
5. Re-sign Granlund to a 2m~ AAV deal.
6. Re-sign Virtanen to a 1.5m~ AAV deal.
7. Re-sign Stecher and Pouliot to 1.5m~ AAV deals.
6. Let Dowd and Biega walk.

New Roster:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Juolevi-Pouliot
XXXX-XXXX

Markstrom
Nilsson

1. No major UFA signings.
2. Leave 2 spots open for other graduates/waiver wire.
3. Bring in 2 other Dmen. Go with 8 D and 13 forwards.
4. Load Utica with centre prospects.
5. See if an Edler trade can be worked out, or a sweetheart deal.
Not bad bad but a few problems.

Lineup is incredibly soft, I would trade Granlund for a physical bottom 6 player. If that doesn’t work, trade him for a pick or prospect and sign a physical forward like Maroon/Komarov/Roussel.

Secondly, you forgot Dahlin:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad