GDT: Rookie tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not talking about talent. I'm talking about depth. We probably need to start trading back and start taking some shots in the 6th and 7th rounds. Quantity over quality at this point. It's time for the scouts to prove their worth.
Holland has been continuously doing that, trading back for more picks, so we have to just wait and see to how they pan out since most are too young to make a judgment on.

Reactions: joestevens29

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But they are still our own. Just because they don't have a draft number next to them I don't know that we should be valuing guys any less.

Plus it's not like we don't have our own prospects in the AHL either. It's the quality of callups from the AHL that is hurting us more than the quantity of guys drafted and developed by us playing in the AHL.

Looking at what's potentially in the AHL I think we have a lot of draft picks down there. Guys that we can count on to help us out this year, not so much. Unless some guys take big strides. But I'm not even sure how much impact the homegrown talent in Holloway, Lavoie and Broberg can bring to us this season. Let alone other guys that haven't really been talked about in getting a cup of coffee with the big club yet.
The difference is that you aren't competing with 31 other franchises extending those camp invites.

You can also argue what the difference is between a 4th or 5th round pick and that 6th or 7th. What the point of even drafting beyond the first three rounds?

You want a fairly sizable farm system to select from that utilizes the work done by your scouting staff. It increases the likelihood you're going to end up with a few valuable futures to work with.

Holland has been continuously doing that, trading back for more picks, so we have to just wait and see to how they pan out since most are too young to make a judgment on.
Just commenting on the number of invites. The number of actual Oiler prospects on that roster is historically low.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The difference is that you aren't competing with 31 other franchises extending those camp invites.

You can also argue what the difference is between a 4th or 5th round pick and that 6th or 7th. What the point of even drafting beyond the first three rounds?

You want a fairly sizable farm system to select from that utilizes the work done by your scouting staff. It increases the likelihood you're going to end up with a few valuable futures to work with.
There are actually stats guys starting to suggest this. Yes there are gems that come out of late rounds, but a lot of the guys that do make it can be signed for league minimum on July 1st. Especially if you are making smart trades with those picks.

And yes you are competing with other teams, but we also have the lure of McDavid.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There are actually stats guys starting to suggest this. Yes there are gems that come out of late rounds, but a lot of the guys that do make it can be signed for league minimum on July 1st. Especially if you are making smart trades with those picks.

And yes you are competing with other teams, but we also have the lure of McDavid.
That right there is the reason why you make the picks. Your reserve list and the player rights. You don't have to make that immediate decision to sign them.

I'm in agreement that teams should take advantage of the FA market for UD amateur prospects. But I also believe that you drastically increase your chances of finding NHL talent if you have more actual picks.

Reactions: joestevens29

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Been hearing more and more about Grubbe now that we have talk radio.

Oilersnation has him ranked 9th for our prospects. Sure sounds like he checks a lot of boxes for a position we've been trying to fill for years

I don't know that the difference real is between 6th/7th round picks and then us just doing what we are doing via camp invites.

That kind of quantity seems to easily available whether it's undrafted guys out of junior or unsigned college free agents or Euro signings

I watched him a few times in Red deer I was very surprised we scooped him up actually

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I've been off the grid for work for most of the last three days; any word why Lavoie isn't in rookie camp?

Calgary has gone the bold route of being mediocre on the ice and mediocre in the draft.
I think there’s actually somewhat of a threshold as to how many pro games/seasons a prospect can have played to be eligible for this camp/tourney. Lavoie has three AHL seasons under his belt so he’s not really the kind of guy they’re targeting for this event.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I watched him a few times in Red deer I was very surprised we scooped him up actually
The excuse coming out of Ranger fans and media about too many centers seemed dumb to me.

I remember back in the original kid line era when we had like 8 centers in our lineup and still didn't have many that could actually play center at the NHL level. Not the end of the world to move a center to wing at the NHL or AHL level, especially coming out of junior to let guys get comfortable with the pro game.

Reactions: lakai17

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
lol of course they'd put rookie games behind a paywall. I know it's a small thing but it's just such a joke how these teams treat their fans and community.
I was never really into this tournament to begin with but yeah, stuffing it behind a pay wall is bs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad