TV: Rome HBO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was a fantastic show, shame when it ended. Seems to me this was on a while ago though?

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Season 1 may be one of the most perfect seasons of television ever.

Season 2 was rushed because they learned it was being canceled halfway through writing it, but still good.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I found no thread about this series.

This is one of the best series ever.

If you love Game of Thrones you will love Rome.

Marc Anthony is briliant.

And so is Cleopatra.

Mark Anthony pissing in Cicero's pot is still one of the funniest scenes ever. As is Titus banging Cleopatra

This show was marvelous

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Was a fantastic show, shame when it ended. Seems to me this was on a while ago though?

Yep, 2005 and 2007 the two seasons aired, so it's been a while.

Really great show, although I place it below a significant number of HBO series still. (The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivale, Game of Thrones)

Performances in this show absolutely rival anything I've ever seen though.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He was a consul of Rome!

With HBO Now I'm going to have to do a re-watch.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Yep, 2005 and 2007 the two seasons aired, so it's been a while.

Really great show, although I place it below a significant number of HBO series still. (The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivale, Game of Thrones)

Performances in this show absolutely rival anything I've ever seen though.

Ew

Edit: Apparently I need at least four characters, so:

Ewww

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Loved the show, absolutely loved it. I remember there being some talk about a possible movie a few years back but I guess that's not going to happen.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The arena scene is probably one of my favorite in all of television.

Titus and Lucius are my favorite tv bromance of all time, with the possible exception of JD and Turk from Scrubs.

I loved one of their early conversations:

Vorenus:
Pullo, in effect, you're dead already. The loss of one drunken fool does little damage to the legion.

Pullo:
If I'm dead already then, sir, you should take care how you speak to me.
If I've got nothing to lose, What's to stop me cutting you into little gobs and riding off, eh? What's to stop me, sir?

Vorenus:
Well, if your honor as a soldier of the 13th isn't enough,
Then I'll have to rely on my superior fighting skills.

Pullo:
Superior fighting skills?

Vorenus:

Mmm..

Pullo:

Very Good

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
This show was awesome, it's been so long since I've seen it, think it's about time for a rewatch

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Cancelled because of lower viewership and budget constraints but by all accounts was one of the most ambitious and best seasons of TV ever created by HBO.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I found no thread about this series.

This is one of the best series ever.

If you love Game of Thrones you will love Rome.

Marc Anthony is briliant.

And so is Cleopatra.

He's alright.

marc_anthony.jpg

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Season 1 may be one of the most perfect seasons of television ever.

Season 2 was rushed because they learned it was being canceled halfway through writing it, but still good.

Pretty much what I was going to say

The 1st season is tops with all the great shows: Wire, Sopranos, GoT but the second season paled in comparison because of being cancelled. The show cost more than GoT does, over 100 million for the season

Loved the show, absolutely loved it. I remember there being some talk about a possible movie a few years back but I guess that's not going to happen.

IIRC they wanted to but a large portion of the sets burned down and the sets were enormous and expensive

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Love this show. 1st season is some of the greatest tv ever, 2nd season is still pretty great but a step down.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think the two scenes that stick out most to me are:

When Atia tells Octavius (who is probably 15 or 16) that he is going to have to penetrate someone for the first time. He protest and she threatens to burn all of his books if he doesnt oblige :laugh:.

Octavius is being honored for for something, and his wife believe she should be the first person out next to him. Atia tells her that she is her mother and she gave birth to the little **** and tells her to **** off :laugh:.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
One of the best shows I have ever watched. McKidd and Stevenson oozed chemistry and made an awesome bromance.

Purefoy was the best Marc Anthony ever, hands down. I could quote him for a year and still laugh and every single of his many memorable quotes.

Hinds killed it as Caesar. When people make movies and shows in the future about Caesar they will be hoping and preying their version can be any where as good as Hinds'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad