Value of: Roman Josi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I know he’s most likely not getting dealt and as a Preds I absolutely love the guy. But we are rebuilding and I feel like he would bring us quite a haul in a trade for picks/prospects. I think he’s a great leader and one of, if not the best, defenseman in the league. But I mean he doesn’t really fit our rebuild due to age and I also think it would be nice for him to get a real shot at a cup because he deserves it.

What would your team offer up for Roman?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Well not sure they are rebuilding given the fact they signed Nyqvist O Reilly and Schenn for 10+m…

Assuming they are, it seems Trotz is ready to immobilize long term cap so I guess if he 30% to 50% he could get a lot of attention. (PIT WSH would love to add a young guy to their core ;) )

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I know he’s most likely not getting dealt and as a Preds I absolutely love the guy. But we are rebuilding and I feel like he would bring us quite a haul in a trade for picks/prospects. I think he’s a great leader and one of, if not the best, defenseman in the league. But I mean he doesn’t really fit our rebuild due to age and I also think it would be nice for him to get a real shot at a cup because he deserves it.

What would your team offer up for Roman?
Dude... he has an NMC. What makes you think he'd agree to be traded?
And if you're paying attention, this isn't a "sell all the old guys" rebuild or we wouldn't have signed O'Reilly and Schenn

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
And if you're paying attention, this isn't a "sell all the old guys" rebuild or we wouldn't have signed O'Reilly and Schenn

Schenn is 33 years old and making more money than he has since his 3.6M a year contract he signed in 2011 that ended in 2016. Then at age 26 in his prime he was forced to take a two year 1.25M contract from the coyotes before signing for less than a million in each of the last 5 years. I think giving him almost 10M over 3 years is less a sign of a shrewd GM finding a 15 year vet who is just about to break out at age 33, and more a desperate move from a guy who needed to do literally anything.

The preds also have 9M in dead cap this year and it climbs to 12M next year. Their only forward really worth mentioning hasnt played 70+ games in a season since 2016-17. O'Reilly is fine, but his best years are behind him and he's always had a tendency to pout when things aren't going his way.

The team seems purpose built to try and sneak in for a second wild card and hope their goalie can win a couple rounds for them. I've cheered for that exact type of team before and i wouldn't be too surprised if josi recognized it and, at age 33, was at least willing to consider his options.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Even if one tried to construct a fantasy scenario where Josi wanted to be traded, I doubt the Preds would get anything for him. Look at Karlsson. There are only 4 teams with enough Cap space to add Josi, and none of them would want him. So to get him onto a better team, the Preds would be looking at moving him more like the way they moved Ryan Johansen with major retention.

And that's just not gonna happen. He's going to retire as the Preds' all-time leader in games and points, longest-serving Captain, he's on stage for them at every event, I don't doubt they've already got the bronze statue of him commissioned and the retirement banner printed and ready to go to the rafters. He's probably going to move into management as soon as he retires. Preds and Josi are bound together for life, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, yada yada, it's not going to change.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Did I say it’s a rumour or value of?
Was just curious what kind of package we could get.
O’Reilly and Schenn were brought in to mentor the young guys and be leaders. We aren’t bringing those two in to win a cup, if that was the goal then Duchene would still be here. Schenn and O’Reilly together don’t even make what Roman makes.

I know he has a NMC, I’m just saying what could we get if Trotz ever did want to move him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Did I say it’s a rumour or value of?
Was just curious what kind of package we could get.
O’Reilly and Schenn were brought in to mentor the young guys and be leaders. We aren’t bringing those two in to win a cup, if that was the goal then Duchene would still be here. Schenn and O’Reilly together don’t even make what Roman makes.

I know he has a NMC, I’m just saying what could we get if Trotz ever did want to move him.
I'm going to say we could get Alex Galchenyuk for Josi at 50% retention. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You aren't getting much because he gets to decide where he wants to go and the team on the other end knows that. You might get a first but frankly I'd be pretty surprised you would get that considering you have zero negotiating leverage.

We've been over this a million times on the Preds boards. I have little reason to doubt Poile and Trotz both talked to him and he knows the plan. If he wanted out we would have known about it already.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He's going to be 34 next season and is signed to 38 at over 9 AAV. I don't think he will have that much value. Maybe something similar to the Ekholm deal.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So he can win a cup in Tampa

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He's going to be 34 next season and is signed to 38 at over 9 AAV. I don't think he will have that much value. Maybe something similar to the Ekholm deal.
He also has like 10+ documented concussions. He's probably going to LTIRetire even before he hits the end of his contract. And the Preds are fine with that.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It can be tough to get value for players still playing at a very high level when they've got a high cap hit for "at risk" years of potential play fall off. This type of deal would likely require some significant contract $'s have to be going back to NASH.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad