Roman Josi or Drew Doughty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who has had the better peak and career?

• Josi peak and career

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Josi peak, Doughty career

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • Doughty peak and career

Votes: 95 52.8%
  • Doughty peak, Josi career

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Flip a coin, too close to call

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doughty was important on Cup winners. Josi is great too. Now it’s Josi but if getting both at a young age, it’s Doughty for me.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Doughty career, obviously.

Josi’s best years are enough for me to give him the “peak” though. Doughty, regardless of the consistency issues, never quite had the offensive-upside Josi has shown. DD is/was stronger defensively, but not so much so that it offset the difference in offense.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty career, obviously.

Josi’s best years are enough for me to give him the “peak” though. Doughty, regardless of the consistency issues, never quite had the offensive-upside Josi has shown. DD is/was stronger defensively, but not so much so that it offset the difference in offense.

Roman Josi--
Regular season-- 62 pt pace
playoffs-- 40 pt pace

Drew Doughty
Regular Season--47 pt pace
playoffs--50 pt pace

Yes, the defense absolutely offsets the offense when it matters most, especially with how much heavy lifting Doughty does on the defensive end with PKing and being the #1 defensive option in all situations. Dude is arguably the least-insulated superstar defenseman this side of Chara for his career. A couple of high-scoring regular seasons when offense is up so much doesn't do much to move the needle there.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Hard to argue that Josi had a better career. Doughty for career.

But peak? That's close. Josi by a hair.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
What's your argument for Josi over Doughty? For conversations sake.
Josi produces offensively way beyond Doughty, that part isn’t close. Josi is still a Norris contender most years, Doughty isn’t. And while Josi wasn’t ever a shutdown defender like Doughty he’s still a very good defender. The difference between Josi’s offense is bigger than the difference in Doughty’s defense, IMHO. The only thing Doghty has had was better teams to win more. Individually Josi is better.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
What's your argument for Josi over Doughty? For conversations sake.
Can it really be argued that Josi hasn't had a better peak than Doughty? Even if you think Doughty has had the better career, Josi's peak was still a 96 point season compared to 60 points from Doughty.

Reactions: Stealth JD

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Can it really be argued that Josi hasn't had a better peak than Doughty? Even if you think Doughty has had the better career, Josi's peak was still a 96 point season compared to 60 points from Doughty.
And an 85 point season, a 65 point in 69 game season too. If you pulled the top 5 seasons offensively from the 2, 4 belong to Josi.

Reactions: Soundgarden

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
And an 85 point season, a 65 point in 69 game season too. If you pulled the top 5 seasons offensively from the 2, 4 belong to Josi.
Yeah if this were a binary poll simply asking which player you'd rather have drafted, I could see people thinking Doughty is the obvious choice, but since "peak" is part of it I find it hard to ignore individual efforts to focus on team success.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Going to be different and say Doughty peak, Josi career. Doughty's peak had him a top NHL defender and big contributor to cup wins, but outside of those years has been just very good. Josi has been a top level defender for much more sustained period than Doughty even if the accomplishments don't necessarily rise to the same level.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This is a tough call, but I’d lean towards Doughty, even though his peak was much shorter than Roman Josi’s was.

Doughty’s peak was the 2014 playoffs, where he was arguably the best player on the ice in every series, including against Chicago, which feartured several Hall of Famers (mostly) in their primes (Doughty, Kane, Kopitar, Keith, Quick, Hossa). I don’t think Josi ever reached the all-around dominance that Doughty showed in those playoffs against that caliber of competition.

I think Doughty will be remembered as a player who, when he wanted to, could take over a game, but didn’t always show it. Much of Doughty’s career, especially the later years, could be seen as coasting. He achieved so much early on—two Stanley Cups and two Olympic golds by age 26, that maybe he just wasn’t as motivated after that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

If you guys weren't ignoring the other half of the game this would be more convincing

nor does it address Doughty getting BETTER offensively in the playoffs, Josi getting far worse.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If you guys weren't ignoring the other half of the game this would be more convincing

nor does it address Doughty getting BETTER offensively in the playoffs, Josi getting far worse.
Dude he has like 6 points in the playoffs in the last 8 years. How do we know what he’s do in the playoffs after age 27? He had 2 great playoffs. Has been average since, even in the playoffs

Reactions: Video Nasty

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Josi has never and will never meet Doughty's peak.

Unfortunately for Doughty, he never took care of himself well and his peak was only for a few years, like maybe 5 or less.

Josi on the other hand has played his game longer and has put up his best numbers after turning 30. So I give Josi the career just because of consistency.

Dude he has like 6 points in the playoffs in the last 8 years. How do we know what he’s do in the playoffs after age 27? He had 2 great playoffs. Has been average since, even in the playoffs

Actually he had three great playoffs. Losing to Chicago in 2013 is not a shame.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Even if that were true, that's at worst two more than Josi.

This is a pretty damning track record for a guy who is such a difference maker the other 82 games.

1725921309673.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad