GDT: Rocky - Oilers v Flyers - Tuesday @ 8 PM

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Knobber juggles the lines the lazy way so I just lazily turned this PGT thread into a GDT, which goes live at 7.

Updated original post on Page 1, Like and Subscribe!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
What I would like to see:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Podkolzin-Draisatl-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Nuge doesn't piss a drop 5 on 5 so maybe going up against easier comp on the 3rd line might boost the offense there. Putting Draisatl and McDavid together isn't a long term recipe for success.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That RNH line will be a special kind of shit and I am a well know RNH fan. I wonder if Janmark is in essence playing himself out of the lineup? Give me someone that can crack some skulls in place of Podkolzin please.
Man thats just throwing RNH to the wolves. Neither linemate should even be here. Neither have shown anything. Can see it being a way to wake up Nuge and jolt him into action. Nuge seems to play better with a challenge.

Skinner made some kind of sense on topline, at least he can score, and now they move him down.

This is probably just the first 5mins lines anyway. McKnobbler is juggling a lot. Strange you have to put the top line together just to get those guys going.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Admittedly it’s kind of impressive how similar the starts between this year and last year are. Right down to us being dominant in fancy stats and having one of the worst high danger save percentages.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Knob is using the lazy "load up line 1" strategy

Draisaitl-McDavid-Hyman
Podkolzin-RNH-Arvidsson
Skinner-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Dermott
Kulak-Emberson

Skinner

Jeff Skinner has looked good and shoots a ton and he gets demoted

Can't drive a line to save his life, RNH, now 2nd line C
McDrai the Org's 'shampoo' duo. How many coaches have gone back to this now? Its proven there is no depth. I don't mind this after a PK or when they need a spark but half way through the first game KK went to this combo and now starting the fourth game. No wonder we can't find wingers for Drai, he needs to carry a frickin line already.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What I would like to see:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Podkolzin-Draisatl-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Nuge doesn't piss a drop 5 on 5 so maybe going up against easier comp on the 3rd line might boost the offense there. Putting Draisatl and McDavid together isn't a long term recipe for success.
Poor Draisaitl. Those wingers are the shortstick no matter who gets them. Putting them up on topsix and keeping them there probably a bad idea. Pods has the worst shot mechanics since Pulju. No wonder he doesn't score. His shot is so long to get off his stick. Goalies have all kinds of time to react.

Admittedly it’s kind of impressive how similar the starts between this year and last year are. Right down to us being dominant in fancy stats and having one of the worst high danger save percentages.
NHL too cheap to hire a new script.

Lets acknowledge as well that taking 2 goals off the scoreboard, refusing to Call calgary on any of the egregious foulls on our top players was the NHL jobbing Edmonton. Doing everything they can for Oiles to lose. 3 goal posts didn't help either.

When the goals come for us it could be a deluge. This club is fully capable of scoring 7 or 0 goals.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
McDrai the Org's 'shampoo' duo. How many coaches have gone back to this now? Its proven there is no depth. I don't mind this after a PK or when they need a spark but half way through the first game KK went to this combo and now starting the fourth game. No wonder we can't find wingers for Drai, he needs to carry a frickin line already.
McD has had premium Hyman and RNH wingers and he wasn't carrying that. RV is awful at this point. "Oh look they killed Kenny again" If you watched the Kings this was happenng to RV with regularity. No wonder the two recent back surgeries. Guy is done.

Connor McDavid -5. yikes.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I dont mind Line 3 with Skinner, Henrique and Brown or Nurse with Stetcher. Here is hoping Stetcher can carry Nurse....

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I've already made a post in this thread stating that I don't like this choice, but I'll present the counter argument for sake of discussion:

97 & 29 are the engines of this team. We go as they go and we're 0-3 because they aren't going. Playing them together with an intended gameplan is maybe not the worst idea to kick start these two.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've already made a post in this thread stating that I don't like this choice, but I'll present the counter argument for sake of discussion:

97 & 29 are the engines of this team. We go as they go and we're 0-3 because they aren't going. Playing them together with an intended gameplan is maybe not the worst idea to kick start these two.

I'll be looking for a concerted effort playing away from the puck from these two if they're together.

I don't know if I could possibly be more angry/disappointed at the two of them at the moment, but that may change, and not for the better, if they decide to treat the opportunity of playing with one another like an All-Star game and dick around the ice and expect offence to come just because.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Lets hope they get their 5 point games tonite, but do we change the lines after they get their kickstart? Or do we stay with the McDrai? Two players can't win us to home ice advantage in the playoffs. That should be part of the plan to winning a cup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'll be looking for a concerted effort playing away from the puck from these two if they're together.

I don't know if I could possibly be more angry/disappointed at the two of them at the moment, but that may change, and not for the better, if they decide to treat the opportunity of playing with one another like an All-Star game and dick around the ice and expect offence to come just because.
If the games are making one angry might be time to take a break from it. Supposed to be enjoyable, OIlers probably recover from this but I'm getting used to October not being too great.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Knoblauch preached consistency with roster deployment when he took over last year. Weird to see so much much erratic movement this year though at RD they're rotating three #6-8 level players trying to fill a big hole. Going early and often to McDavid and a McWinger Draisaitl seems overkill instead of first rotating winger combinations.

I actually think a Skinner - Nugent Hopkins - Arvy would be worth a look with Nuge's distributor game between a shooter and net front guy.

The scoring will come with their 2.5% EV shooting and all elites shooting blanks. But if this team's goaltending, goal suppression team defending and PK don't find their game then outscoring is a huge problem.

How this team lost all its mojo with a too long 8 game pre-season and training camp is quite something. There's no facet of their game working.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

The other point is that if you separate McDrai it just allows opponents to focus primarily on just shutting down the one of them. When the wingers aren't going the Centers can't be, and easy to shut down. McDrai are eating a ton of punishment every game due to being on separate lines. Put them together with Hyman and Booch and teams can't just zero in on the one. This configuration at least allows McDrai to eat less punishment.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Is it Mid November yet?
Is second pre-season almost over?

I'll start paying attention when the team starts paying attention. *yawn*.

Only a month to go before real season starts! I wonder how many headstart points the other teams get this year. No matter.. once that rocky music starts firing up.. it will be glorious!

I will say this. this teams ability to put all the past season behind them is epic. So good it takes them an extra month over the others on how to play hockey. 2nd and 3rd pair right defense is not this teams problem right now. Not even close.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Knoblauch preached consistency with roster deployment when he took over last year. Weird to see so much much erratic movement this year though at RD they're rotating three #6-8 level players trying to fill a big hole. Going early and often to McDavid and a McWinger Draisaitl seems overkill instead of first rotating winger combinations.

I actually think a Skinner - Nugent Hopkins - Arvy would be worth a look with Nuge's distributor game between a shooter and net front guy.

The scoring will come with their 2.5% EV shooting and all elites shooting blanks. But if this team's goaltending, goal suppression team defending and PK don't find their game then outscoring is a huge problem.

How this team lost all its mojo with a too long 8 game pre-season and training camp is quite something. There's no facet of their game working.

I think that second line could work in a world where Nuge was playing with pace.

He's currently in the mode where he has cement feet, and tries to compensate for it by throwing around cute hope passes. Recipe for disaster with those line mates. If he's moving his feet and actually playing with some pace there could be something there, maybe moving him to C is an attempt to get him skating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Good for you.
Is this enough?

1729014078247.png

Comes delivered with 58 mood altering bars. Should be enough till Christmas.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
there was some dude on the main board trashing the oilers like you wouldn’t believe

I invited him to a Van Damme marathon with me and a night of Boston pizza

He ignored me 😔 no idea where I went wrong and why I keep striking out 😔
That could be any one of hundreds of posters....

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You called it years ago about that contract being a disaster for the Oilers and might prevent them from winning a Cup.
It’s easy to call everything when you just shit on everything. You’re more likely to be right when you look at the odds. There’s always a better chance of something not working than working in a 31/32 team league.

I like the idea of shaking up the lines but I hate this configuration. Nuge can’t be the 2C and I would have preferred him bumped to the third line. McDavid and Draisaitl need to figure things out without being stapled to one another. They still get powerplays and the odd shifts together, that should be enough.
Nuge needs to be on the 3rd line, wether than means LW or C whatever. Hes too passive to be on the top lines let alone the 2c.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man thats just throwing RNH to the wolves. Neither linemate should even be here. Neither have shown anything. Can see it being a way to wake up Nuge and jolt him into action. Nuge seems to play better with a challenge.

Skinner made some kind of sense on topline, at least he can score, and now they move him down.

This is probably just the first 5mins lines anyway. McKnobbler is juggling a lot. Strange you have to put the top line together just to get those guys going.
The top line will do whatever, that second line is absolutely scary. Let’s take a struggling Nuge and give him literally nothing in top 6 minutes.
The Henrique line should see playing time above it although Brown has been shit as well.
Man, too many players playing bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad