Book Feature Rocky Hockey: The Short but Wild Ride of the NHL's Colorado Rockies (by Greg Enright)

Greg Enright

Jun 27, 2020
Hello everyone, and thanks for your interest in Rocky Hockey.

I wrote the book because I simply wanted to know the whole story of the Colorado Rockies and it wasn’t available. Yes, there are Wikipedia entries, and there are numerous articles online (some of good quality, some of poor), and there are the familiar (and funny) stories from Don Cherry about his one year behind the Rockies’ bench and his supposed sufferings with Hardy Astrom in goal.

But I wanted to know much more. Who were all the owners they had, and why did all of them sell the team off? Why exactly was the team always so bad? What about all the other players who donned the Rockies’ (incredible) uniforms aside from the well-known names like Lanny McDonald, Chico Resch and Barry Beck? What were their stories? What were the circumstances of their move to New Jersey? What is their legacy, if any?

I felt bad that all of this had not, at some point over the past 40 years since they left Denver, been researched and put into a book. But I also felt a huge sense of excitement and impending discovery when I started in on the project, knowing that I was in many ways covering uncharted, or at least long-forgotten, territory. Now, two years later, the book is a reality, and what a satisfying and at times exhilarating journey of discovery it’s been.

Why did I want to know the Rockies’ story? I remembered the team from when I was a kid, always seeing them at or near the bottom of the standings, and always having a soft spot for them. Maybe it was their great uniforms, maybe it was the logo, maybe it was my penchant for underdogs, and maybe it was because the Rockies were a bit of a mystery. Living in Montreal and Toronto in the days before the Internet, social media and TV packages that let you watch every NHL game, you never got to see or hear much about them. You’d maybe see them once of twice on TV in a season. News of them was scant, usually just a short wire game report and maybe a summary in the local papers. And then, before I had barely become a teenager, they vanished from the NHL scene, off to New Jersey to become the Devils. Fast forward to 2021, and that curiosity still remained, and most of the questions I’d always had were still unanswered. It was time to start solving the Rockies mystery.

Here is the back-cover blurb:

Long before the Avalanche started winning Stanley Cups, Colorado was home to a short-lived and decidedly less-successful National Hockey League team: the Colorado Rockies. Operating from 1976 to 1982, the club established itself as a hard-working outfit on the ice that was constantly hobbled by a series of impatient owners and a host of controversial – and often crazy – front-office maneuvers. The result was a team that didn’t win many games but did win the hearts of a small and loyal fan base. In the process, they laid a foundation for the Mile High City’s future hockey success.

Rocky Hockey: The Short but Wild Ride of the NHL’s Colorado Rockies tells the complete story of this pioneering franchise for the first time. It's a history that included four different ownerships, seven head coaching changes, one inspiring and memorable playoff appearance, and a mountain of rollicking stories from an era when helmets were optional, bench-clearing brawls were common, and player salaries were measured in thousands, not millions.

Though the Rockies’ stay in the NHL wasn’t long, it featured a bounty of wild incidents and larger-than-life characters, including a berserk goalie who trashed a locker room after being pulled; an incompetent goal judge who was fired by a referee in the middle of a game; a maniacal cheerleader named Krazy George; and the near sale of the team to a con man who ended up behind bars.

Meticulously researched and filled with recollections from Rockies players and front-office figures based on original interviews with the author, the book puts a long-overdue spotlight on this unique brand of the game that affectionately came to be known as “Rocky Hockey.”

NEW-FONT-TEAM-COPY-MARCH-18-2.jpg

A bit about me:

My day job involves writing and editing blogs and articles for a software company in Toronto, but my real passion is researching and writing about the history of hockey. In 2020, my first book, The Pittsburgh Penguins: The First 25 Years, was published by McFarland. Rocky Hockey was published in March 2023. My hockey history Twitter feed, @NHLNewsAchive, was launched in 2014 and now has over 4,000 followers. I’ve also set up a Facebook page about the book and the Rockies.

Buying Information

The book is available through the following online retailers:

Amazon:
Paperback - Amazon.com
Kindle: Amazon.com

Barnes & Noble:
Rocky Hockey: The Short but Wild Ride of the NHL's Colorado Rockies|Paperback

Thrift Books:
Rocky Hockey: The Short but Wild Ride of... book

Excerpt

This excerpt describes a game between the Rockies and Bruins in Boston on December 2, 1979 – Don Cherry’s first game back in Boston after being fired by the Bruins and taking over the Rockies the previous off-season:

Cherry was expected to be packing some dynamite when his Rockies rolled into Boston on December 2 for the coach’s first meeting against his old team since his acrimonious exit from the Bruins the previous spring. Although the odds of his struggling squad taking a point or two out of old Boston Garden weren’t good, Cherry, with the spotlight sure to be shining directly on him, would no doubt want to do something special.

“Of course, I want [my team] to look good every game, but especially this game. Boston is a tough place to play, especially when I know the Bruins players will be a thousand percent up for this game. If I were them I would be.”

It would surely be an emotional night for Cherry, who left a lasting mark on the team and the city during his five years behind the Bruin bench.

“It’ll be nice to meet all the fans there, because you sure get treated good in that corridor (outside the dressing room). I used to shake a million hands. Toward the end, it was almost like I knew everybody.”

That this was a special night for Cherry was indicated by his choice of attire. Known for his sartorial style, Cherry had been reserving a special suit for this homecoming: a deep burgundy, ultraviolet three-piece velvet number that he’d planned on wearing in last spring’s Stanley Cup Final had his Bruins got by the Canadiens in their semi-final series. When Cherry strode out to take his spot for the first time behind the visitors’ bench, the Garden crowd gave him a long standing ovation. One fan tossed a bunch of grapes into the bench area in tribute. There was clearly still a lot of love for their old coach.

“I don’t care where I go, what I do,” Cherry remarked later, “even if I win the Stanley Cup, I’ll never feel the same like I did with that crowd giving me that ovation. That’s tops for me. I can’t go any higher than that.”

It certainly didn’t look like his new team would take him anywhere close to higher on this night as they quickly fell behind 2-0. But in the first intermission, the Rockies seemed to wake up. Cherry overheard one of the players in the dressing room say, “C’mon…let’s win it for Grapes.”

Jack Valiquette answered that rallying cry at 2:14 of the second period when he slammed a loose puck in the crease past Gilles Gilbert to make it 2-1. The determined Rockies played the Bruins tight for the rest of the frame and were rewarded during the last minute when Wilf Paiement grabbed a loose puck at center, raced in on Gilbert and beat him high over the goalie’s left shoulder.

Valiquette struck again midway through the third to put Colorado ahead, and when rookie Doug Berry flipped a rebound over a fallen Gilbert less than two minutes later, it looked like the Rockies were going to make Cherry’s return a complete success. The players held the Bruins tightly in check and with just 53 seconds to go, Grapes called a timeout. He didn’t, however, use it to talk strategy with the players. He instead spent the break signing a few autographs for some fans holding programs over the glass at the end of the Colorado bench. To many, Cherry appeared to be rubbing the Rockies’ impending victory in the Bruins’ faces. To his critics, it looked as if Cherry was telling Harry Sinden, “See? Look how popular I still am in this town!”

Cherry claimed he called the timeout not to sign autographs but to give two of his older defensemen, Nick Beverley and Mike Christie, a rest before play resumed. But the super media-conscious coach surely had to know before he put pen to program what kind of message his actions would be sending.

The Bruins sent Cherry’s heart rate up when John Wensink tipped a Ray Bourque shot past Bill McKenzie to make it 4-3 with 35 seconds remaining on the clock. Wilf Paiement, however, sealed the deal with a long empty-net goal with only one second left to make the final Rockies 5, Bruins 3.

Asked later about the autograph signing, Cherry maintained his innocence. “Everybody thinks I did it to be a wise guy. I just happened to be near the end of the bench and some people reached over with their programs. Our owner (Imperatore) and our president (Pohan) weren’t enthralled with it, but I knew exactly what was going on behind my back. And some of the Bruins who were close to me on the other side were looking over and probably saying, ‘Look at him twist the knife in our backs.’ But I never gloated or enjoyed beating the Bruin players themselves ’cause they’re a great bunch of guys and I love ’em.”

It was the type of stunt that ruffled the feathers of Cherry’s bosses but helped endear him to the fans back home in Denver and get the Rockies some prime real estate in the city’s newspapers. And, perhaps most importantly, it helped build a bond between the coach and his players, who gave Cherry the game puck after the win.

“He never said anything before the game,” said goalie Bill McKenzie, who stopped 32 Bruin shots on the night, “but you could tell, you could just tell. There was an extra twinkle in his eye.”

Added Ron Delorme, who backed up Cherry’s claim of the Rockies always being tough by fighting Bruin tough guy Terry O’Reilly twice on the night, “We’re getting together. We’re building as a team. You play Cherry’s style, it works. If we can just keep playing like this, we’ll be knocking on a lot of teams’ doors before the year is out.”

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Hi, I'm looking forward to reading your book, and had a couple of questions for you:

1) In Don Cherry's book, he portrayed Rockies GM Ray Miron as someone who knew nothing about hockey, and implies that the two big trades they made during that season were more his idea that Miron's. Would you say that was accurate, or an exaggeration?

2) Living in Ottawa at the time, I remember a lot of talk in the local media during the 81-82 season about the possibility of the Rockies moving here. Was relocating the team to Ottawa a serious possibility, or was it always going to be New Jersey?

Greg Enright

Jun 27, 2020
Hi, I'm looking forward to reading your book, and had a couple of questions for you:

1) In Don Cherry's book, he portrayed Rockies GM Ray Miron as someone who knew nothing about hockey, and implies that the two big trades they made during that season were more his idea that Miron's. Would you say that was accurate, or an exaggeration?

2) Living in Ottawa at the time, I remember a lot of talk in the local media during the 81-82 season about the possibility of the Rockies moving here. Was relocating the team to Ottawa a serious possibility, or was it always going to be New Jersey?
Thanks for your interest in the book and for your questions. Here are my responses:

1) Ray Miron definitely knew quite a bit about hockey, so Grapes is exaggerating on that point. Miron was a hockey lifer who had been around the top minor leagues for most of his career. He had just been named President of the Central Hockey League before joining the Rockies, so he certainly had a great deal of knowledge about the game. Perhaps the NHL was a step too high for him, though. He never displayed the kind of savviness of a Bill Torrey that was needed to make the Rockies at least a contender. Not only did he not hang on to top draft picks like Torrey did, he also didn't do anything to build the kind of culture that is the foundation for a successful hockey team. It's amazing that he survived the horrendous 1978-79 season, when the Rockies finished dead last in the NHL. Ownership should have known after that that Miron was not the man for the job, but they inexplicably kept him on. It's interesting to think how the Cherry stint would have gone had a more qualified GM been in place when Grapes arrived for the following season...

As for the trades, it's impossible to say who initiated the ideas, but it is clear that both men supported both trades. The Rockies couldn't hit the side of a barn, let alone a net, in the first month of Cherry's tenure and he was desperate for scoring. Miron clearly realized this, too. The cupboard was so bare, though, that they only had a few assets to trade, one being Barry Beck. They pulled the trigger and it was a massive gamble - which in the long run of course did not pay off. As for Wilf Paiement to Toronto, my research pointed to that one being something that fell into the Rockies' lap, thanks to Harold Ballard's ridiculous desire to move Lanny McDonald to an NHL Siberia. Miron and Cherry both realized the value of having McDonald join the Rockies and had probably had enough of Paiement and his attitude (and his incident with Dennis Polonich). That one was a much better trade for Colorado, but it's highly doubtful that it was Cherry's (or Miron's) idea. It seemed very clearly to originate from Ballard's bunker.

2) Peter Gilbert's first choice had always been New Jersey, but the huge amount of money required to move the team there was a problem he didn't seem willing to solve. Negotiations with Ottawa interests did get quite serious; Gilbert visited the city and he drew up a list of conditions he wanted met before he agreed to any deal. The Ottawa group reached a point where no serious action was being taken on the major ones, and the potential deal just sort of hung in the air with no progress being made. Had John McMullen not appeared and agreed to pay the huge cost of moving the team to New Jersey, it's possible the Ottawa interests would have eventually taken the offer to a next level and created the conditions necessary for Gilbert to sell to them, but we'll never know.

One of the few who was in the stands back in the day.

Just bought the Kindle.
Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
@Greg Enright: Nice to have you back!

The recent years have seen quite a few publications dedicated to clubs that were added to the North American pro landscape in the expansion period from 1967 into the 1970s. Your own book about the Pittsburgh Penguins, of course, is one example; most of the others, however, are dealing with clubs that don't exist anymore: Steve Carrier's book about the California Golden Seals, Troy Treasure's book about the Kansas City Scouts, Gary Webster's book about the Cleveland Barons, books about the New England/Hartford Whalers by Pat Pickens and Christopher Price, and, somewhat related, Denis Crawford's book about the founder of the WHA Toronto Toros and Birmingham Bulls. And now your book about the Colorado Rockies.

Did any of those prior books influence or even inspire your own project? Or what do you think is the reason that this specific area of hockey history has been subject to greater interest lately?

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
I look forward to reading your book! Saw a fair number of sparsely attended games at McNichols Arena growing up as a kid, often on comped tickets provided for my hockey teams. In spite of them being the local team I can't say I was ever a "fan", though I liked individual players (Bubba, Lanny, Ramage, Delorme, Christie) and honestly don't remember any friends or teammates being actual fans either. Liking those players was pretty much what killed any interest in the team because as soon as anyone showed they were capable players or a fan favorite it seemed Miron or MacMillan would trade them away. Same with the coaches--every year a different one (sometimes two). No continuity whatsoever. Honestly, I don't remember anyone being terribly upset when they moved to Jersey. Met with a resigned collective shrug. Poor, indifferent ownership will do that to a franchise.

Greg Enright

Jun 27, 2020
@Greg Enright: Nice to have you back!

The recent years have seen quite a few publications dedicated to clubs that were added to the North American pro landscape in the expansion period from 1967 into the 1970s. Your own book about the Pittsburgh Penguins, of course, is one example; most of the others, however, are dealing with clubs that don't exist anymore: Steve Carrier's book about the California Golden Seals, Troy Treasure's book about the Kansas City Scouts, Gary Webster's book about the Cleveland Barons, books about the New England/Hartford Whalers by Pat Pickens and Christopher Price, and, somewhat related, Denis Crawford's book about the founder of the WHA Toronto Toros and Birmingham Bulls. And now your book about the Colorado Rockies.

Did any of those prior books influence or even inspire your own project? Or what do you think is the reason that this specific area of hockey history has been subject to greater interest lately?
@MarcelLang, It’s great to be back, and thanks for having me!

I think it’s great that this aspect of hockey history is now being represented in the types of books you mention. I’ve always been most interested in the teams that are no longer around, and it’s great to see their full stories finally coming out.

Much of the focus of hockey publishing over the years has been on winning teams, or superstar players – and that’s fine; I’ve read many of those books and enjoyed them. But I always thought it was a shame that teams like the Seals, Barons, Rockies, etc. never found their place beside them on the bookshelves. These teams’ histories contain some of hockey’s funniest, wildest and downright entertaining stories, and they deserved to be told.

In Canada, there has also been quite a narrow publishing focus on the Leafs, Canadiens, the 1972 Summit Series, Wayne Gretzky and other topics that tend to get repeated and overly dissected. Again, I’ve read many of them and enjoyed them, but let’s throw some Kansas City Scouts into the mix, some Minnesota North Stars, or even some full histories of teams that are still around. It’s disappointing that there has never been a full history of, say, the Los Angeles Kings or the Buffalo Sabres. Hopefully, with more options open to authors these days, such as the self-publishing route, we’ll see more of these kinds of books appearing. I for one would love to read them!

As for the books you mention, I think we’re seeing more of them now because enough time has passed that people (particularly those who are 40 and up) are feeling a bit nostalgic for the game as it was back in the 70s and 80s. People tend to look back fondly on teams like the Rockies and Barons and others because they remind them of a time when players actually said what they felt once in a while, arena boards were devoid of advertising and betting ads weren’t rammed down their throats. Perhaps when these teams were playing they tended to get overlooked because they didn’t win and weren’t really in the mix of contenders. Now, I think people are curious about them and want to know more about these clubs that were a part of their hockey experience back then.

I admire the authors of all the books you mention, and that of others who have written books in the same focus area. In particular, I think Steve Currier did a fantastic job with his Seals book. He told the whole story from start to finish, and even beyond, examining the hockey scene in the Bay Area before the Seals arrived and also the story of the Barons after they left. It was the kind of tribute the Seals deserved and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Troy Treasure's book on the Scouts was a big help to me as I delved into the Rockies' story, providing a thorough picture of the disaster that happend in Kansas City before the operation shifted to Colorado. Another great read.

There’s still so much ground to cover in this area, so here’s to hoping we see many more books that help fill the void!

Greg Enright

Jun 27, 2020
I look forward to reading your book! Saw a fair number of sparsely attended games at McNichols Arena growing up as a kid, often on comped tickets provided for my hockey teams. In spite of them being the local team I can't say I was ever a "fan", though I liked individual players (Bubba, Lanny, Ramage, Delorme, Christie) and honestly don't remember any friends or teammates being actual fans either. Liking those players was pretty much what killed any interest in the team because as soon as anyone showed they were capable players or a fan favorite it seemed Miron or MacMillan would trade them away. Same with the coaches--every year a different one (sometimes two). No continuity whatsoever. Honestly, I don't remember anyone being terribly upset when they moved to Jersey. Met with a resigned collective shrug. Poor, indifferent ownership will do that to a franchise.
This is some great insight - thanks for sharing. When I interviewed Mike Kitchen for the book, he made that exact point - the fans had no star player to really identify with and latch onto because they were always shipped out of town before that could really develop. As a result, there was no opportunity to build any kind of deep affinity with the team.

At the beginning of the book, I included a picture of Wilf Paiement and a few teammates celebrating a goal at McNichols...the joy on their faces is so vibrant you can't help but smile, and Paiement is doing a fist pump as he is swarmed by his mates. But when you look in the background, nearly every seat is empty. I thought it was an apt encapsulation of "Rocky Hockey."

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My Quantum Leap with the Hockey Rockies is taking Ray Bourque instead of Rob Ramage in 1979 (DU Pioneer Glenn Anderson in the 4th also would have helped). In that period between David Thompson falling off due to drug issues and the Elway trade he would have been the bet athlete in town. Denver was so much smaller then.

It just took another 20 years to get him here.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Something I've always wondered, and I don't know if this is even within the scope of your research, but how did the MLB expansion team get to use the name Colorado Rockies not even ten years after the NHL team moved out? Wouldn't the Devils have the trademark rights to that? Or did it revert to the city of Denver or the state as part of the sale of the team when they moved?

I'd have to think if the baseball team chose to be the Denver Bears or went another way on the name, the Nordiques probably bring back the name Rockies in 1995.

Jocke1

Mar 31, 2022
I have been very interested in the Colorado Rockies and their history for some time now and I've been sporadically researching various topics and statistics about the team during these last few years.
I will surely purchase your book now and learn more.

I don't know if you mention it in your book or not but the most interesting thing I've researched is how the Rockies completely dominated the Edmonton Oilers during the 1980-81 season. From playing .500 hockey against the Oilers in 1979-80, with new head coach Bill MacMillan behind the bench for 1980-81 the Rockies didn't lose a single game against Gretzky and his Oilers.

The Rockies were 5-0-1 during the season, outscoring Edmonton 22-12.
1980 Preseason:
October 1st, 1980 Colorado 4, Edmonton 1 (game played in Colorado)
October 2nd, 1980 Colorado 4, Edmonton 1 (game played in Wichita, KS) *
1980-81 Regular season:
October 12th, 1980 Colorado 3, Edmonton 2
November 25th, 1980 Colorado 4, Edmonton 3
February 28th, 1981 Colorado 3, Edmonton 1
April 1st, 1981 Colorado 4, Edmonton 4

*Edmonton remained in Wichita to play the newly formed expansion franchise Wichita Wind of the CHL the next day. Wichita was coached by Garnet "Ace" Bailey. Edmonton won the game 9-1.

I read Don Cherry's book 'Grapes' around twenty years ago and I always wanted to know more about that episode when Miron refused to order a bus for the players when they were heading back to their motel after a game day morning practice on Long Island, so a bunch of the players had to go out onto the highway and flag cabs down in the cold. A "perfect way to catch pneumonia" as quoted by Cherry.

After that Cherry began ordering buses on his own because "he didn't want his players running out on highways, freezing to death".

I've always been curious if any of the players ever confronted Miron about this.

And I always wondered when this episode occurred that the players hailed cabs on the highway.
Because the Rockies had two road games on Long Island during 1979-80, one in December (on the 18th, a 2-3 loss) and one in March (on the 11th, a 1-4 loss) and Cherry doesn't mention it in his book which of these two games the 'bus incident' occurred.

My curiosity to know what the weather was actually like that morning when the players went out in the freezing weather onto the highway, brought me to search for the weather reports of those two game day practices at Nassau County on Long Island in December and March.

I found that the weather at 10am on December 18th, 1979 (the first road game against the Isles) measured from LaGuardia Airport (~15 miles from the practice rink in Nassau County) was 24F with 17mph winds from the west and gusts of up to 25mph.
57% humidity with no precipitation.

The weather on March 11th, the Rockies second road game, at 10am was 35F and 29mph winds from the northwest with gusts of up to 47mph. Humidity was 48% and 0.2-0.4 inches precipitation in the early morning hours.

So if that whole bus episode was on that morning in March it would have been much harsher weather conditions for the players than if it had been on that morning in December.

A YouTube video surfaced recently uploaded by the user retrodan5, showing the Rockies first playoff game against the Flyers in high quality. For those interested I can recommend watching it.

Another thing I've been intrigued by regarding the Rockies is their arena, the McNichols Sports Arena.
Not only was it the home of the Rockies and the Avalanche, not only did it host two Stanley Cup Final games. It was also the venue for the very first UFC event on Nov 12th, 1993 called UFC 1: The Beginning.

McNichols was also the location of some 249 concerts before the arena was demolished in January, 2000. Featuring legendary artists such as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Plant & Page, Dio, Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, Yes, Rainbow, Def Leppard, Carlos Santana, Allman Brothers Band, Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, KISS, Bob Seger, ZZ Top, Elton John, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, The Who, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Styx, Eric Clapton, Billy Idol, Guns N' Roses, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, AC/DC, Phil Collins and Neil Diamond among many others.

Greg Enright

Jun 27, 2020
Something I've always wondered, and I don't know if this is even within the scope of your research, but how did the MLB expansion team get to use the name Colorado Rockies not even ten years after the NHL team moved out? Wouldn't the Devils have the trademark rights to that? Or did it revert to the city of Denver or the state as part of the sale of the team when they moved?

I'd have to think if the baseball team chose to be the Denver Bears or went another way on the name, the Nordiques probably bring back the name Rockies in 1995.
It's a good question, but I'm not sure as it is out of my research area for the book.
As for the Nordiques, I'd guess they wouldn't have used 'Rockies' if it was available as it did have a strong association with losing hockey and they would have wanted a fresh start with a new name.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
@Greg Enright, I wasn’t alive when the Rockies existed, but as a bleeding heart Devils fan and hockey history buff, I’m delighted that you’ve written this book! I’ve just ordered it on Amazon.

My questions for you:

1) What was the level of national TV exposure that the Rockies received? I know that ESPN and the USA Network were covering U.S.-based NHL teams in the early 1980s—I’m just curious how Denver was treated as a TV market, and if the Rockies were relatively overexposed or underexposed.

2) What impact did the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team’s success at Lake Placid have on the Rockies and/or their fanbase? Off the top of my head, I know that a couple of players, d-man Bill Baker and backup G Steve Janaszak, wound up with the Rockies at some point; and I remember reading that, after Don Cherry was gone, the Rockies were briefly considering hiring Herb Brooks as their coach. I’m just curious if the immediate influence of the “Miracle on Ice” ran deeper than that for Colorado.

3) Were the 1980-81 Rockies a team that could’ve made the playoffs? They were (surprisingly) in a respectable position in the standings after New Years, but it seemed as if the wheels just came off for them in the second half. I know that they were a very young team that season; that they had a slew of injuries to key players; and that the goaltending had issues. I asked the same thing on this forum a couple years ago: 1980-81 Colorado Rockies.

Thanks, Greg, and congrats on the book!

~Vikash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad