Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All I'll say about Nylander is that you learn a lot by being around a team. I have to be careful otherwise. He's either in the Sabres plans or he isn't. If he isn't they need to trade him.

• UPL should be like Ullmark where he gets majority of the games. The team will need a veteran backup willing to play that backup role but also capable of being #3 in the Sabres organization. I don't think Johannson is that player. I also don't think Wedgewood is. His overall season was pretty good but trended down. Not all his fault but he didn't step up.
  • Will Borgen should be a Sabres defenseman before Lawrence Pilut. I should probably take more time on that statement because it's mostly based off the second half of the season. Pilut is what Guhle was last season. Started hot, trended down.
  • CJ Smith can do the same things that Victor Olofsson can. Almost identical stats. Not bad considering CJ was playing with Porter and Simpson most of the season, a step down from Asplund and O'Regan. Will be interesting to see what chances they give CJ. It's possible he's just a really good AHL player.
  • Rasmus Asplund will be interesting next season. He was padded by Olofsson and O'Regan. Both are probably gone. O'Regan will get out to where he may still have a NHL chance or go overseas. Olofsson is a Sabres forward.
  • Tage Thompson should start in Rochester. Dominate. Move up, just like ERod did.
  • ECHL scoring doesn't always equal AHL scoring but it feels like the org lost a piece when Justin Danforth dominated in Cincy and left. The same can be said about Myles Powell. When both had sniffs of Rochester they played bottom roles. Just like trying to put CJ in a bottom role in Buffalo after being top here. I'm not really sure any newcomers will move up from Cincy.
Out of the 23 UFA's in the organization who are in Rochester or Cincy the only one that really made an impression is Taylor Leier. I don't think he's an NHL player so waivers shouldn't be a concern so I hope they keep him around. I don't hide my bias appreciation for Dalton Smith either so I hope he's back. I also don't think I'm alone, he's the type of player fans love and he puts it all on the line. The game still needs guys like him at this level.

Here's the contract status of everyone:

Contract Statuses of the Season Ending Amerks Roster · Let's Go Amerks!

Something not to be overstepped is what work will need to go into next season's Amerks. They are going to need a lot of quality forwards, with some expected graduations (Olofsson, probably Smith, perhaps Thompson) and some expected losses (O'Regan) and some veterans who seem to have lost some tread on the tire (Porter).

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
A lot of work is needed for the Amerks but also shows that the Sabres still don't have much depth on offense.
  • Olofsson has likely made the jump.
  • CJ Smith is going into year three and
  • Nylander no matter how you look at it will be going into year four.
  • Tage Thompson has shown he can be a dominant AHL player, will have to prove that in the NHL
  • Rasmus Asplund had an excellent year but also benefited a lot playing with Olofsson and O'Regan. I wish he had been moved in the playoffs to see if any offense could be generated with another line. It wasn't his fault but a change of some sorts.
  • They didn't sign any undrafted college kids this spring (yet at least).
Could be a bunch of Phil Varones and Luke Adam types, could be a bunch of surprises. We just don't know yet. Bigger point is that as of right now there's no set top drafted rookie set for the upcoming Amerks season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
A lot of work is needed for the Amerks but also shows that the Sabres still don't have much depth on offense.
  • Olofsson has likely made the jump.
  • CJ Smith is going into year three and
  • Nylander no matter how you look at it will be going into year four.
  • Tage Thompson has shown he can be a dominant AHL player, will have to prove that in the NHL
  • Rasmus Asplund had an excellent year but also benefited a lot playing with Olofsson and O'Regan. I wish he had been moved in the playoffs to see if any offense could be generated with another line. It wasn't his fault but a change of some sorts.
  • They didn't sign any undrafted college kids this spring (yet at least).
Could be a bunch of Phil Varones and Luke Adam types, could be a bunch of surprises. We just don't know yet. Bigger point is that as of right now there's no set top drafted rookie set for the upcoming Amerks season.

This upcoming season will be a great test for Taylor.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Cyclones eliminated in round 2 yesterday. Thus ends the great reign of Bott's minor league revolution.

Reactions: Snippit

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wanted to circle back to the summer depth conversation, particularly how it fits with the Amerks and Cyclones.

Tennyson's UFA and I would be mildly surprised if he is brought back. Dougherty is RFA on his NHL-level deal as is Martin who seems likely to not be tendered.

Pilut likely should break camp with the Sabres.

Redmond's going into year 2 of his AHL deal. Gosselin and Baudry are on AHL deals, MacWilliam's deal expires this summer but he's a guy who offers solid defensive play. Gosselin's been good with Redmond, not sure how Baudry is going to play, but they probably need to keep MacWilliam or someone of his ilk to stabilize the defense.

NHL deal guys signed for next year would be Borgen (likely back to start the year), Fitzgerald (who's looked good in his cycles down the stretch) and Hickey. Stephens will be still under contract as well, but it would take something IMO for him to push up into the Amerks roster.

So that's Redmond, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Hickey, Gosselin, and probably Dougherty. They could stand to get another quality body in there like MacWilliam and of course the known issue that Buffalo will go about 10-deep on their blueline based on past averages. I'd love to see them add Bryson into the mix, especially to replace some of Pilut's offensive game.

Taking a look at who they have under contract or might still have rights for next year:

LHD:

Jacob Bryson
Brandon Hickey
Kurt Gosselin (AHL deal)
Tobie Bisson (deal signed through '19-20)
Justin Baudry (AHL deal)
Devante Stephens
Brycen Martin (Expiring RFA, was lent to Maine all of last seasons, does not look like he's in their plans)

RHD:

Zach Redmond (AHL deal)
Will Borgen
Casey Fitzgerald
Jack Dougherty (RFA)

Going through all the defense who played for the Amerks who were still part of the organization at the end of the Marlies series: Tennyson is UFA as are AHL-level deals Paetsch, MacWilliam and Atwal. I'd be shocked if Martin is qualified and I'm wondering if Dougherty is, just because NHL-level contracts seem to be at a premium. A wildcard might be Stephens after his +35 season with the Cyclones, but he got one game in Rochester all year and that was the "we're resting everyone" game in Belleville to end the year. While his season in the 'Coast was good, he doesn't look like he's in their plans. Cyclones Knodel and Florentino are also UFA's as their Amerk deals are up.

The LHD group is a lot of hopes and dreams. They'll need a quality vet AHL defensive defenseman (hopefully MacWilliam) at the least. Gosselin looked good partnered with Redmond late in the year after tearing the ECHL a new one in a brief stint. Hickey was serviceable - would love more insight into his game as I didn't see (or notice) him many nights. People know my feelings on Bryson :biglaugh:, but he, Gosselin, Baudry are all rookies while Bisson has one pro season to his name.

The RHD group has Redmond as the anchor. Borgen may not be down all year between the Sabres injury issues and his own play. Fitzgerald is on an NHL deal. Dougherty is RFA and didn't play in the playoffs. Beyond that...

So there seems to be a need for at least 1 LHD and possibly 2 RHD who can play at the AHL level. Buffalo usually dips about 10 deep in an average year for blueline injury, but we can estimate that they're going at least 9 deep right off the bat with the timelines for Bogosian and Pilut returning from their respective surgeries. LHD look like Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe, Scandella, Hunwick, while the RHD are Ristolainen, Bogosian, Montour, and Nelson.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I wanted to circle back to the summer depth conversation, particularly how it fits with the Amerks and Cyclones.

Taking a look at who they have under contract or might still have rights for next year:

LHD:

Jacob Bryson
Brandon Hickey
Kurt Gosselin (AHL deal)
Tobie Bisson (deal signed through '19-20)
Justin Baudry (AHL deal)
Devante Stephens
Brycen Martin (Expiring RFA, was lent to Maine all of last seasons, does not look like he's in their plans)

RHD:

Zach Redmond (AHL deal)
Will Borgen
Casey Fitzgerald
Jack Dougherty (RFA)

Going through all the defense who played for the Amerks who were still part of the organization at the end of the Marlies series: Tennyson is UFA as are AHL-level deals Paetsch, MacWilliam and Atwal. I'd be shocked if Martin is qualified and I'm wondering if Dougherty is, just because NHL-level contracts seem to be at a premium. A wildcard might be Stephens after his +35 season with the Cyclones, but he got one game in Rochester all year and that was the "we're resting everyone" game in Belleville to end the year. While his season in the 'Coast was good, he doesn't look like he's in their plans. Cyclones Knodel and Florentino are also UFA's as their Amerk deals are up.

The LHD group is a lot of hopes and dreams. They'll need a quality vet AHL defensive defenseman (hopefully MacWilliam) at the least. Gosselin looked good partnered with Redmond late in the year after tearing the ECHL a new one in a brief stint. Hickey was serviceable - would love more insight into his game as I didn't see (or notice) him many nights. People know my feelings on Bryson :biglaugh:, but he, Gosselin, Baudry are all rookies while Bisson has one pro season to his name.

The RHD group has Redmond as the anchor. Borgen may not be down all year between the Sabres injury issues and his own play. Fitzgerald is on an NHL deal. Dougherty is RFA and didn't play in the playoffs. Beyond that...

So there seems to be a need for at least 1 LHD and possibly 2 RHD who can play at the AHL level. Buffalo usually dips about 10 deep in an average year for blueline injury, but we can estimate that they're going at least 9 deep right off the bat with the timelines for Bogosian and Pilut returning from their respective surgeries. LHD look like Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe, Scandella, Hunwick, while the RHD are Ristolainen, Bogosian, Montour, and Nelson.

I expect them to have pretty good depth on defense, bringing in a couple of guys where needed. It's their offense that I'm really nervous about, they're likely losing all of their top scoring forwards with no known replacement coming in.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I expect them to have pretty good depth on defense, bringing in a couple of guys where needed. It's their offense that I'm really nervous about, they're likely losing all of their top scoring forwards with no known replacement coming in.

Yeah that’s certainly a bigger concern. I am so sick of talking about Botterill, 7OA and ROR. :biglaugh:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If we don't sign Wedgewood and / or Wilcox, are we cool with UPL and Johansson being our goalies in Rochester, and then signing a couple of guys to AHL deals for Cincy? Or do we sign another vet who could come up to Buffalo in a pinch? I know UPL may not (will not) be ready for the start of the Amerks season.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I would imagine they need an AHL vet/tweener who can be called up to Buffalo in case of injury at a minimum.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I would imagine they need an AHL vet/tweener who can be called up to Buffalo in case of injury at a minimum.

Re-sign Wedgewood, let JJ be the backup and let UPL start in the ECHL for now? And maybe rotate JJ and UPL to keep them both fresh?

Or maybe just keep UPL in the OHL another year?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Re-sign Wedgewood, let JJ be the backup and let UPL start in the ECHL for now? And maybe rotate JJ and UPL to keep them both fresh?

Or maybe just keep UPL in the OHL another year?

I'm not sure. Also voodoo. I've summed up my understanding of goalies.

:laugh:

I would hazard that you don't want to necessarily be forced to call up UPL in case of NHL injury. I would also guess that besides a vet (Wedgewood or whomever) they probably could use another youngish/semi-prospect, ie somebody who isn't getting drafted this year.

I'm not sure what the Sabres commitment to the Cyclones is as far as how many goalies they actually provide.

Is Johansson still considered a prospect who can develop? My hazy recollection is he didn't do great in the ECHL but looked better in the AHL? I may be totally off base.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we don't sign Wedgewood and / or Wilcox, are we cool with UPL and Johansson being our goalies in Rochester, and then signing a couple of guys to AHL deals for Cincy? Or do we sign another vet who could come up to Buffalo in a pinch? I know UPL may not (will not) be ready for the start of the Amerks season.

Both UPL and Johansson are recovering from surgery. They will need a third goalie with some NHL experience to stash in Rochester as the vet starter or even compete with the guys they have.

Houser was on an AHL deal with the Amerks and was excellent for the Cyclones this year (ECHL goalie of the year and ECHL first all-star team). Again, he stops pucks, which he did with the Knights when he was in junior. I'm not sure what they think of him, but he has stuck around Cincy at least for some time.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not sure. Also voodoo. I've summed up my understanding of goalies.

:laugh:

I would hazard that you don't want to necessarily be forced to call up UPL in case of NHL injury. I would also guess that besides a vet (Wedgewood or whomever) they probably could use another youngish/semi-prospect, ie somebody who isn't getting drafted this year.

I'm not sure what the Sabres commitment to the Cyclones is as far as how many goalies they actually provide.

Is Johansson still considered a prospect who can develop? My hazy recollection is he didn't do great in the ECHL but looked better in the AHL? I may be totally off base.

Not off base about Johansson. Houser carried the mail down there, still think he should get a shot at something, but the situation with two guys recovering from surgery is likely pretty muddled.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I've always been of the opinion that JJ is a career AHLer. I haven't seen anything to prove me otherwise. Maybe he's a late bloomer but he's never stood out in his stints here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good use of the AHL contracts again. Owning both clubs is almost like double dipping, but they can use that to their advantage. Edit: also frees up an NHL contract spot.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Jim Bob

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Good for Porter, he's a decent enough role-player on the Amerks. Guess there won't be any guessing who's captain next season.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia