Rochester Americans and Jacksonville Icemen 2024 Off-season Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jacksonville added some players last week -

Dilan Peters, RD, 6'6", 220 lbs - Dilan Peters - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Has not played much, Indy waived him last April so this might be a camp move. *shrug*

Carter Allen, LD, 6', 183 lbs - Carter Allen - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
An Oswego alum? In this economy? 90 ECHL games since turning pro and spent last year in the UK with Coventry.

Liam Coughlin, LW/C, 6'2", 201 lbs - Liam Coughlin - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Spent time on the ECHL Heartlanders and they were pretty bad.

I see HC Luukko is now an AC with the Pens AHL team in WBS. That's a loss, he was a very good coach for Jax. They promoted Mashinter from assistant to HC so there is some continuity and he's been there for all of Luukko's success too - Official Site of The ECHL | Icemen name Mashinter as new head coach

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

I just took a job at one of the Pittsford high schools and found myself reading about his time there in more detail. Don Cherry’s Little-Known Coaching Championship

The boys knew their new coach cared – but he wasn’t perfect.

"He struggled with names," Jay says. "My name’s Jay, but I was always Jack. For three years I was Jack."

"My last name, 'Vyverberg.' I was 'Viberg,' " Al says.

It always kinda seemed like his deal with names was a way of slighting (often foreign) players. Interesting to see it goes back 60 years to a bunch of high school kids, too. Also cool that he tried to stick with the high school team for a third year, even after being hired on as a coach for the Amerks.

And Don Cherry’s time in Rochester came to an end in 1974.

Knise was helping at one of Cherry's summer hockey camps when he got the news.

"He came in one morning and said, 'You won't believe it, boys, but I've got the call to go coach the Bruins. And I have to leave in two days,' " Knise recalls. "And he said something, like, 'What do I say to Mr. Orr and Mr. Esposito?' "

From afar, the boys from Pittsford cheered on their old coach. And when John found himself in Boston, Cherry invited him to a game.

"I ended up in the locker room with him. And we split a six pack of beer, of Bud, in his office off the locker room after that game," John says. "I’m just a kid, right?"

Turns out, Cherry really liked reminiscing about his high school team.

"I went down to see him at his hockey camp," Al says. "And I walked in the locker room, and Mike Milbury was in there – three or four other NHL and AHL players. And he goes, 'Al Vyverberg! Now that was a power play.' He starts pointing at all these other guys: 'If you guys play power play like my high school team!' And they're all looking at him like he's absolutely nuts."

Years after Cherry’s NHL coaching career was over, Knise went to visit him at one of his restaurants in Toronto.

"The bar was full," Knise recalls. "And he came running out, put his hands up in the air, and he goes, 'People: one of my players is here.' It’s the first time I ever signed autographs. They all thought I played for him in professional hockey. And it was our high school team."

A nice read. All long before my time, but it sounds like Cherry was quite the figure in Rochester area hockey for a good decade there.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Maybe I'm just fanboying but ROC looks pretty solid this year. I love the defense and if the top prospects spend a lot of time there, they could see a step up from a pretty successful last season. I know physicality has been the downfall the past couple playoffs.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was hoping for Jared Tinordi for the Amerks. He would have added some size to the defense.

Just signed 2-way contract with Calgary. He probably was holding out for a one-way contract in July. If Sabres were interested then they probably moved on pretty quickly.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad