Robyn Regehr over Bryan McCabe :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhj

Mar 10, 2004
I still remember McCabe was a -5 in a playoff game against the Flyers 1-2 seasons ago..

That speaks of itself.

When Jovo is on, he is a game breaker... same goes for Blake..
And Regehr, if the Leafs have him, they would be among the best teams in the NHL.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
bhj said:
I still remember McCabe was a -5 in a playoff game against the Flyers 1-2 seasons ago..

That speaks of itself.

When Jovo is on, he is a game breaker... same goes for Blake..
And Regehr, if the Leafs have him, they would be among the best teams in the NHL.

There have been many "insightful" posts in this thread, but I do believe we have a clear cut winner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:
are you serious? Not saying he isn't a good young player and possibly a future hopeful for our best on best teams, but as of right now Cheechoo isn't even close and is silly to throw into your argument. And what has Marleu done, other than have a hot streak since Thronton got there to warrant having him replace one of the incumbents on the team? (Sorry, not trying to pick on Sharks here, but I'm not sure either of those guys were even seriously considered at any point in the selection process).

While I agree that Cheechoo isnt on the same level as the rest of the players I have named but he has still been WAY better then Doan this year. TWo nights ago in one game he cut Doans goal total in half. Its clear that he has some incredible chemistry with Thornton. He is almost a goal a game since the sharks added Thornton.

Marleau? How about being the captain of a team that went to the conference finals leading them in scoring? Has Doan or Bertuzzi ever done that? He is one of the most explosive skaters in the league, he is great in the faceoff circle and very good at both ends of the ice not to mention a nack for scoring big goals. If he had the opportunity to play with Naslund his output would be ridiculous. Second of all he doesnt even play on Thorntons line.

Jovanovski was TERRIBLE at the world championships last year just aweful. As much as people rag on McCabe for his defense Jovo is worse. Whoever in this thread said that McCAbe doesnt bring the physical game that Jovanovski does clearly doesnt watch him. Anyone see that beauty assist he had on his own team last night against the oilers? Right up the middle, what puck poise.

P.S im a sens fan not a leaf fan, if anything my biased is against McCabe.

Flash Walken said:
McCabe is worse defensively than Jovo, but scores more on the powerplay.

Jovo plays with bigtime fire, and provides a physical element mccabe can'tmatch.

Jovo played really well in the gold medal game at the olympics last time. REALLY well.

Have you ever seen McCabe play? From your second comment I doubt it. McCabe is an extremely physical defenceman. His hipchecks are awesome.

Most of this anti-Toronto nonsense is coming from Western Canada I'm sure. McCabe should have made the team as an offensive defenceman. Are you telling me Niedermayer is there for his defence? Give me a break.

As for Blake, he's been a disgrace this year. He has no business playing for Canada.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Forget for a minute that that went over your head, my point was I've never once said the Candian checking line should be replaced by the taxi squad.

and i never once suggested that you said that.

however, in numerous threads in this forum, you have bemoaned the fact that Lecavalier and Regehr made the team, while McCabe, Spezza and Staal did not.

what I'm saying is that the logic behind those decisions would makes perfect sense to anyone with a good understanding of hockey. Spezza, Staal and McCabe may be having great seasons in the NHL, but they don't bring anything to the table that Team Canada doesn't already have. what Lecavalier and Regehr will bring to the table is much more valuable to a team that wants to win.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
slava29 said:
Are you telling me Niedermayer is there for his defence? Give me a break.

if Scott Niedermayer could not play defence, i highly doubt he would have won the Norris Trophy in 2004...

trust me, in McCabe's abscence, Team Canada won't be missing much more than turnovers.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Because even though McCabe scores lots of points hes a terrible defenceman and as the Team Canada directors have said, in a short tournament you need players who will make smart decisions. Regehr is significantly better in all aspects of the game except for PP points.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rush, I can help put it in Sharks terms.

Regehr is like Hannan, but unlike Scott, he's having a good year. with all the goalscoring you'll get from the forwards and D-men like Blake and Neidermayer, you don't need another weapon on the back end. You need a stopper who won't be jumping into the rush and risking his defensive position.

Oh, and SenSk9tSen, that's an awesome avatar. Jazz was always one of my favorite Transformers.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
I say the question shouldn't be why regehr madeit over mccabe, but instead the question should be why did McCabe make the taxi-squad over Phaneuf? Phaneuf would gain so much more from being on that taxi-squad than McCabe will.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
What I found funny is that Eric Brewer doesn't get a sniff. Not even close.

We all know he would have gotten serious consideration if he was still on the Oilers.

Kevin Lowe :shakehead

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Ahh.. I forget which game it was.. But I was watching an EDM game, and Staios looked like *the* best defenseman in the NHL. He was making great plays to just strip the puck, break up a play, or intercept a pass... He was everywhere.

I don't know why I brought this up. I'm not suggesting Staios should have been considered. I just felt like talking.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Scugs said:
Ahh.. I forget which game it was.. But I was watching an EDM game, and Staios looked like *the* best defenseman in the NHL. He was making great plays to just strip the puck, break up a play, or intercept a pass... He was everywhere.

I don't know why I brought this up. I'm not suggesting Staios should have been considered. I just felt like talking.
At least it wasn't about the Leafs. I think most people will forgive you. ;)

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
slava29 said:
Have you ever seen McCabe play? From your second comment I doubt it. McCabe is an extremely physical defenceman. His hipchecks are awesome.

Most of this anti-Toronto nonsense is coming from Western Canada I'm sure. McCabe should have made the team as an offensive defenceman. Are you telling me Niedermayer is there for his defence? Give me a break.

As for Blake, he's been a disgrace this year. He has no business playing for Canada.

McCabe is far from extremely physical. He throws a big hipcheck once in awhile.

Vomiting Kermit*

Garfield said:
What I found funny is that Eric Brewer doesn't get a sniff. Not even close.

We all know he would have gotten serious consideration if he was still on the Oilers.

Kevin Lowe :shakehead
Yes, because we all know Lowe has more say in it than Gretzky or anyone else picking the team. :shakehead

Brewer was good in the Olympics and even better in the World Cup. But I guess Lowe fixed the games in both tournaments so Brewer would come away with the stats he had, right?

Get a clue.

Phanuthier*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
I've watched maybe 6 Calgary games this season, and was always more impressed with Phaneuf. I've watched maybe 12 or so Toronto games (including most of the Ottawa battles) and saw McCabe get burned a few times (but not as bad as the descriptions I'm hearing in here)and score like a forward on the PP.
-
If you didn't notice Regehr, than that's probably a good thing.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Brewer isn't on this team because he's had an off year with many injuries, I'd still have confidence putting him on the team.

He was our #1 defenseman back to back years when Canada won the WC, he was good at the Olympics and great at the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad