Robin Lehner - AHL playoffs MVP

Pyke*

Careful, you've opened yourself up to the "clearly Wiercioch is declining rapidly like his point totals" argument.

No more / less than Gardiner's disastrous sophomore season.

In any event, the point was just, rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt. Lehner has proven he is a great goalie with a lot of potential.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
21, would that not be in response to the people criticizing him in the WJC?

Either way, the father/son thing is hugely overblown. His dad asked him repeatedly if he wanted to be a goalie - because the training would be hard and each time he apparently said yes. He offered him a chance to quit at any moment - including when he got the machine that took 100MPH shots at him, but he never did.

Lehner sent each and ever tape of his OHL games to his dad in Sweden and had him access them, then each of the games from the AHL and NHL last year. A friend of ours interviewed him before he turned pro and his relationship with his father is very good. I also wanted his father to be our goaltending coach, but the idea would probably be not great with Anderson there right now. Wait until he's taken over the number one in Ottawa before thinking about that route IMO.

Well, Lehner wasn't critized that bad after the loss vs the Russians in the semifinals. Perhaps you could blame one goal on him. Not many thought the loss was his fault.

I hope my fellow swedes corrects me if I'm wrong?

Lehner was good and did a good tournament! Like I have stated many times we outplayed Russia in most of the game but still lost, extremely frustrating. If you ask me it was because of some serious defense letdowns by Nemeth in particular (who was playing injured).

The only thing which caused some headlines was Lehners harsh comments efter the tough loss about poor referees and comments about WJC favoring Canada etc. ;-) It was a bit fun, we lost vs the Russians and Lehner was still talking about Canada and looked very upset. ;-)

I'm not surprised Lehner didn't play the bronze game, I'm not sure he even wanted to?

Regarding the recent article I was referring to with Lehner's comments. No, I don't think he was referring to WJC critizism but I'm not 100 procent sure.

There have been some controversial articles written about Robin and his father. I'm not surprised if he didn't like everything which was written. You could almost get the impression his dad was a physcho or abusing Lehner by the increadibly tough training.

Here is one article published by the infamous swedish newspaper Aftonbladet (run it through google translator).
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/article12723103.ab

This is a much more well written article in your own languge. ;-)
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/24/15471821.html

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That's correct. I'm not sure he even wanted to play the bronze game, and I'm not sure the rest of the team cared much about that game either. Many of them already had silver and bronze medal(s).

But WJC performances get way overblown around here. It's a short tournament and if you don't put it into context you get a pretty scewed picture, at least about the Swedish players playing in Sweden.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
1) Markstrom is a better goalie now by a bit but I think calling them equal prospects is a pretty much unquestionable statement. You could think Markstrom is a better prospect and not be wrong, but I think its safe to say developmentally, Lehner has done everything you could ask of him to match Markstrom.

2) Swede's LOVE this guy over here: ;-) , don't they?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
1) Markstrom is a better goalie now by a bit but I think calling them equal prospects is a pretty much unquestionable statement. You could think Markstrom is a better prospect and not be wrong, but I think its safe to say developmentally, Lehner has done everything you could ask of him to match Markstrom.

2) Swede's LOVE this guy over here: ;-) , don't they?

For the Sens, how does that 4 year deal for Anderson look now? Realistically for the Sens, next season, unless they are going to play Lehner 30 games, he should return to the AHL. Especially if the Sens bring in Rundblad and Cowen to the big team, to go along with Karlsson, who still needs a lot of work defensively. Don't want to put a young goalie in that tough situation. Place, Lehner will only be 20 at camp, so another season in the AHL would be better for his overall development, playing 55 plus games in the AHL. Again, I thought that 4th year of Anderson's deal would not be good for the Sens, as Lehner would likely be the #1 goalie for them by that 4th year.

For Markstrom, be interesting to see what the Panthers do with their goalies next season. Pretty sure Vokoun is not returning, so they have Clemmenson signed. Are they going to put Markstrom behind an inexperienced D core of Kulikov, Ellerby, Garrison, Gudbranson? Not to mention limited offensive talent. Don't want to ruin a young goalie.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
No more / less than Gardiner's disastrous sophomore season.

In any event, the point was just, rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt. Lehner has proven he is a great goalie with a lot of potential.

Well if you bothered to do more research than just looking at stats sheets you would realize Gardiner played a shutdown role in his sophomore year, with Ryan McDonagh. McDonagh had a 'disastrous' 18 point season but I'm sure Rangers fans aren't quite happy with him as a prospect.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
For the Sens, how does that 4 year deal for Anderson look now? Realistically for the Sens, next season, unless they are going to play Lehner 30 games, he should return to the AHL. Especially if the Sens bring in Rundblad and Cowen to the big team, to go along with Karlsson, who still needs a lot of work defensively. Don't want to put a young goalie in that tough situation. Place, Lehner will only be 20 at camp, so another season in the AHL would be better for his overall development, playing 55 plus games in the AHL. Again, I thought that 4th year of Anderson's deal would not be good for the Sens, as Lehner would likely be the #1 goalie for them by that 4th year.

For Markstrom, be interesting to see what the Panthers do with their goalies next season. Pretty sure Vokoun is not returning, so they have Clemmenson signed. Are they going to put Markstrom behind an inexperienced D core of Kulikov, Ellerby, Garrison, Gudbranson? Not to mention limited offensive talent. Don't want to ruin a young goalie.

The thing with prospects these days, especially guys like Lehner and Markstrom who are borderline arrogant, is that throwing them in the fire doesn't seem to be detrimental. It seems these opportunities are framed as a learning experience and the young players realize this. It's especially true when the kids get actual playing time. Having Taylor Hall play 8 minutes on the 4th line is a waste but having him play big time minutes in an offensive role is ideal. So I agree the AHL would be good for Lehner so he can get some big minutes, I also think splitting time with Anderson in the NHL (like 40 games each sort of thing) would be ok too and that's where I see him in 2-2.5 years.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Well if you bothered to do more research than just looking at stats sheets you would realize Gardiner played a shutdown role in his sophomore year, with Ryan McDonagh. McDonagh had a 'disastrous' 18 point season but I'm sure Rangers fans aren't quite happy with him as a prospect.

Wiercioch played injured his entire sophomore season and his coaches still said he was their best player. No one's really calling anyone bad, but what ever praise you want to give Gardiner, Wiercioch also deserves, if not a bit more.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You're obviously an expert, why bother correcting you... but I will for the lulz. Jake Gardiner had a breakout year, was ppg on the wisconsin badgers and was like a +23 or something like that. He also has good size and good in his own end. Not to mention elite speed.

And when did Lehner become on Markstrom's level?

EDIT: Was gonna answer to this but didn't see the point. Look below as well, lol.

lehner didnt even destroy markstroms regular season and markstrom played on arguably the worst team in the AHL.... you do realize rochesters defense is absolutely horrendous right? lehner wouldnt have sniffed the playoffs either if he was playing on rochester and i dont see how he could have done better than markstrom at all.

markstrom completely owned the last 2 months before he got injured considering how many quality scoring chances he faced a game. of course lehner had a better year, thats what happens when you play for a team that is competitive.

What lehner did in the playoffs was marvelous, theres no other way around it, but saying lehner is on the same level as markstrom is a definite reach. lehner could very well pass markstrom the way he is progressing, he has shown that he is a great goalie, but as of now markstrom is the superior goalie and markstrom will only get better with more familiarity to the NA game.

I hope you realize Binghamton was WITHOUT their top 4 defense man for a good portion of the playoffs.

Just sayin...So imagine the top 4 of any team removed...Lolzz.

Or we can just throw stats out the window and say Gardiner is the better player and prospect? More potential? Kind of like RNH's point totals were in the same ball-park of Strome's but RNH is called the better prospect.

This post proves you have no idea what your talking about and all you do is pay attention to stats.

Even in terms of stats you still have no idea what your talking about. Wiercioch had a PPG in his FRESHMAN year. Gardiner became a PPG 2 years later, hahaha.

Yet Gardiner>>>>>>Wiercioch.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
EDIT: Was gonna answer to this but didn't see the point. Look below as well, lol.

I hope you realize Binghamton was WITHOUT their top 4 defense man for a good portion of the playoffs.

Just sayin...So imagine the top 4 of any team removed...Lolzz.

This post proves you have no idea what your talking about and all you do is pay attention to stats.

Even in terms of stats you still have no idea what your talking about. Wiercioch had a PPG in his FRESHMAN year. Gardiner became a PPG 2 years later, hahaha.

Yet Gardiner>>>>>>Wiercioch.

you do realize rochesters top players were either called up or out with injuries correct? and i wish rochester had legitimate top 4 defensmen :laugh:. markstrom never had a chance.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The thing with prospects these days, especially guys like Lehner and Markstrom who are borderline arrogant, is that throwing them in the fire doesn't seem to be detrimental. It seems these opportunities are framed as a learning experience and the young players realize this. It's especially true when the kids get actual playing time. Having Taylor Hall play 8 minutes on the 4th line is a waste but having him play big time minutes in an offensive role is ideal. So I agree the AHL would be good for Lehner so he can get some big minutes, I also think splitting time with Anderson in the NHL (like 40 games each sort of thing) would be ok too and that's where I see him in 2-2.5 years.

i wouldnt really say arrogant but definetely cocky and exuding confidence. i still wouldnt throw them into the fire because you want them to keep that confidence and not question their abilities.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think it's obvious he will be in the AHL next year. Not sure why there is a discussion about it. Murray said himself and lehner is aware of it as well.

Pyke*

i wouldnt really say arrogant but definetely cocky and exuding confidence. i still wouldnt throw them into the fire because you want them to keep that confidence and not question their abilities.

Re Attitude, a comparable is Erik Karlsson. After being drafted 15th overall in 2008, he famously went and sat at the draft table and participated lol. How many 1st round picks do that? :P

Oilmageddon*

Wow what a honor he joins the likes of Kay Whitmore Wade Flaherty Fred Cassivi Passi Nurminen Mike Dunham Antero Niittymaki Jeff Hackett .

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow what a honor he joins the likes of Kay Whitmore Wade Flaherty Fred Cassivi Passi Nurminen Mike Dunham Antero Niittymaki Jeff Hackett .

Patrick Roy, Carey Price. Like lehner those two won the Calder cup as starting goalies as 19 year olds

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Patrick Roy, Carey Price. Like lehner those two won the Calder cup as starting goalies as 19 year olds

Those three were Playoff MVP as 19 year olds. Sounds like a Tribond question.

Also, Karlsson suggested Petersson because I think they played together and Karlsson convinced the Sens of his skill. Seems he was right but injuries might prevent Andre from making it.

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
Re Attitude, a comparable is Erik Karlsson. After being drafted 15th overall in 2008, he famously went and sat at the draft table and participated lol. How many 1st round picks do that? :P

I'm confused... ? Is there something wrong with that, or are you being overly sarcastic? haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad