Roberto Luongo on Monday Night Raw with CM Punk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Speaking of speed, I watched wrestling (AEW) a couple weeks ago for the first time in ages and was shocked at how smaller, faster and acrobatic these guys were. They made Olympic gymnastics look like child's play.

I haven't watched wrestling regularly since the Attitude Era so this was a shock to me. Wrestlers seemed to have gone from 6'3" 225LBS to like 5'10" 190LBS.

It's similar to how WCW brought smaller guys to prominence with their Midgard wrestlers/matchups. Guys like Jericho, Mysterio, Guerrero etc

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
That was nice. Heartwarming stuff. Luongo, after he left madness of Vancouver, has been one of my favorite hockey personalities. 👍

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I remember at one point in the 90’s when the MNF intro featured CGI fighter jets blowing up the DC monuments.. hard to believe that was ever considered a good idea
I'm not American so idk, but was US patriotism any different from before 9/11? It's hard to believe most US patriots would find that acceptable even back then.

Grown men watch movies and plays too.
I always say this when sports haters mock me for watching sports.
I'm like, "Dude, you watch people play pretend infront of a camera."

It's similar to how WCW brought smaller guys to prominence with their Midgard wrestlers/matchups. Guys like Jericho, Mysterio, Guerrero etc
WCW was ahead of its time in a number of ways. They were edgy before WWE (Which is why they introduced the Attitude Era, to compete with them) and had more athletic wrestlers.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm not American so idk, but was US patriotism any different from before 9/11? It's hard to believe most US patriots would find that acceptable even back then.

I always say this when sports haters mock me for watching sports.
I'm like, "Dude, you watch people play pretend infront of a camera."

WCW was ahead of its time in a number of ways. They were edgy before WWE (Which is why they introduced the Attitude Era, to compete with them) and had more athletic wrestlers.

Yea if it wasn't for them Vince would've pushed gimmick wrestlers for another decade at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: End on a Hinote

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
idk if you are familiar with Monday night football but back then they used to have an intro where at the end the two helmets of the teams playing that night would collide and explode. I say that to provide some context that I guess the explosion of the monuments wasn’t really intended as some violent/warlike imagery, more just an extension of the typical pyrotechnics, plus this was an era where CGI was still a novelty and it seemed they were excited to show that off as much as they could.

This is as much sense as I can make of it in retrospect but, again, it’s pretty baffling that they did it regardless. Obviously after the collective trauma of 9/11 people became much more sensitive to any imagery that was evocative of an attack on the US, especially via airplane.

I remember bookmarking a clip of it on YT a few years ago, but the next time I went back the clip had been removed bc of a copyright claim by the NFL. Whether that was out of embarrassment for how inappropriate the intro was, or if that’s common practice wrt their IP, I don’t know.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Speaking of speed, I watched wrestling (AEW) a couple weeks ago for the first time in ages and was shocked at how smaller, faster and acrobatic these guys were. They made Olympic gymnastics look like child's play.

I haven't watched wrestling regularly since the Attitude Era so this was a shock to me. Wrestlers seemed to have gone from 6'3" 225LBS to like 5'10" 190LBS.

Yeah it's a lot more of an athletic showcase with high energy to wow the crowd. High flying, high-paced matches, with innovative counters and sequences.

They characters these guys play are a lot more based in reality too. They're mostly people with personality traits working in their sport rather than the big personalities (Rock, Stone Cold) or the "gimmicks" so to speak like undertakers, fiery pyro happy maniacs, guys eating worms, sexually perverted film directors, a sadomasochist who plays 3 different personalites etc.

There's big debates always about which era was better or which is best. It's all up to personal taste.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

WWE has their Next in Line program, where they recruit NCAA athletes and it's really starting to make a difference. You have football players, shot putters, track stars. For the women you are seeing gymnasts, competitive cheerleaders, soccer and basketball players... etc.

I've noticed the gymnasts especially seem to be taking to pro wrestling very quickly, Kelani Jordan and Tiffany Stratton being prime examples, both have already held titles and have only started training 2 and 3 years ago.

Honestly, women's wrestling in WWE today is exceptional. I can't speak on AEW as I don't watch it but they have some incredible talent there too.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
lol from nhl network? I guess she’s moved on to greener pastures.
She does both, and has for a while, althugh it's more recently she was promoted to being n interviewer on Monday nights rather than a studio host.

At the draft in Montreal she arranged an on camera meet between WWE Wrestler Kevin Owens (from the MTL area) and Bruce Boudreau as they were fans of each other.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Monday Night Raw is still a thing?
Still going strong. Actually, wwe is more popular than ever. More than the attitude era in terms of selling tickets and breaking records. In fact they broke the records for consecutive sell outs held at a certain point in said attitude era. Triple h took over for Vince and brought back storylines and long term story telling which has brought back many fans. The product is big right now. Lol

• Wow
Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad