Robbie Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Hey, i was just wondering what everyone thought about the kid. Do you guys think he will turn out to be a good point scoring centre?. Also if anyone could give me a little scouting report on him, such as certain skills he brings to the table etcc.. thanks

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
MastahPlaya said:
1 thing for shure....he aint gon be better than erat :yo:

What is your obsession with Erat? Almost all of your posts are about Erat :dunno:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I think you are ERAT! Who is he? and what has done to get such accolades from you? Based solely on potential and skill set, Schremp is, and will be light years ahead of Erat. It is easy to make the argument that Schremp has not played in the NHL yet and there is obviously a chance he won't live up to the hype. However, I think that he will be even better then what people are saying. Yes, he has some attitude issues. Yes, he is very cocky. And Yes, he can back up all of the talk on the ice. You can always teach a team philosophy, and once he is put into a dressing room with Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith and Eric Brewer, he will be shown the way. One thing is true, you can't teach anyone skill and on-ice vision, which Schremp has boatloads of. Step back and watch this kid in the years to come, I think the Oilers made out like bandits in that draft. ERAT WHO?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
#2 said:
Hey, i was just wondering what everyone thought about the kid. Do you guys think he will turn out to be a good point scoring centre?. Also if anyone could give me a little scouting report on him, such as certain skills he brings to the table etcc.. thanks

I think Robbie Schremp might have had top 3 potential in this draft, IMO he will make alot of teams really dread not taking him. I think too much was made of his supposed attituted when I think really he is not going to be a problem player at all. This guy IMO given a chance could be in the top 10 scorers in the NHL when he reaches his prime. I think this guy would have given Malkin a run for 2nd overall in the draft if not for people putting his attitude down.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
moosefan said:
I think Robbie Schremp might have had top 3 potential in this draft, IMO he will make alot of teams really dread not taking him. I think too much was made of his supposed attituted when I think really he is not going to be a problem player at all. This guy IMO given a chance could be in the top 10 scorers in the NHL when he reaches his prime. I think this guy would have given Malkin a run for 2nd overall in the draft if not for people putting his attitude down.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=99481

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=99855

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pucks1 said:

I really think Schremp will learn to handel the media different later in his career. I now teams like guys who can market the team on TV, right now he speaks his mind like it or not that is what he is doing. With Schremp his only downfall is that he will tell you what is on his mind and not care about it. He is a nice guy though, just needs to learn to handle the media a little better, but it still doesn't take away from his ultra talent level.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
trahans99 said:
I see Schremp as being a 1st line centre or at worst a 2nd line centre. I think his potential is a point per game player with many highlight reel goals and assists.
At worst his size an strenth keeps him out of the NHL.

I say he tops out as a 2nd line player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
At worst his size an strenth keeps him out of the NHL.

I say he tops out as a 2nd line player.

What are you saying, players that are 6' 200 lbs are too small for today's NHL? The level people pick over an inch or 10 lbs or so around here is beyond ridiculous. :banghead:

Last edited:

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
He will alone be worth the price of admission. I think that him being in the Oilers organization is tremendous for both sides, I think The Oilers need a little attitude because although they are a respected team, they dont have that character that alot of the bigger markets do (think Roenick), I think his shoulder chips will be welcomed here, as long as he learns when to open his mouth and when to keep it closed (see Mike Comrie). Also, Edmonton in its humbleless will teach Rob how to control his ego a little better, so in that case, both parties will benefit from the relationship.

Skill wise, I think Rob is a #1 centre, and will look great on a like with say The gritty Raffi Torres on his left and a sly Ales Hemsky on his right, these 3 (I hope) will make a formidable 1st line in 4 years time.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Even if he makes the team and doesn't live up to his potential as a #1 center, his style and attitude will help Oilers sell a lot of jerseys.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Personally, I think his upside is blown up a bit. He certainly has great puck skills, but he's hasn't translated that into dominant numbers at the OHL level yet, and is not an exceptional skater. He also doesn't play as well in traffic. All are important factors when evaluating his upside.

He still obviously has plenty of time to develop, but I'd need to see him control a game at the OHL level before thinking he really has the potential to be one of the best players out of this draft class. Maybe the times I've seen him have been off nights, but I think his upside is a solid second line center at this point.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Personally, I think his upside is blown up a bit. He certainly has great puck skills, but he's hasn't translated that into dominant numbers at the OHL level yet, and is not an exceptional skater. He also doesn't play as well in traffic. All are important factors when evaluating his upside.

He still obviously has plenty of time to develop, but I'd need to see him control a game at the OHL level before thinking he really has the potential to be one of the best players out of this draft class. Maybe the times I've seen him have been off nights, but I think his upside is a solid second line center at this point.

Fair points, although was he really in a position to "dominate" with London considering the depth they had last season? I think you'll get a true flavor for what Schremp can do this year when he's the team's number one center.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
What are you saying, players that are 6' 200 lbs are too small for today's NHL? The level people pick over an inch or 10 lbs or so around here is beyond ridiculous. :banghead:
Since when is he 6 feet 200 pounds? Embellishing a little Rabid Ranger?

The guy has a size issue, and he wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't a perimiter player and scared to go into the corners or battle.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

The guy has a size issue, and he wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't a perimiter player and scared to go into the corners or battle.
Still 6 feet at 190 pounds isn't anything to sneeze at. 10 pounds of muscle isn't an extreme amount of weight to pick up.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:

He was measured at about 5'11" 1/2, and 197 lbs around draft time. Considering I myself have grown an inch in the past year, as a 20 year old, I don't think it's far fetched to think Schremp will be around 6'0'', 195-200 lbs when he finishes growing/filling out. Although I've read he's gotten in better shape and is down to about 190 right now.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Fair points, although was he really in a position to "dominate" with London considering the depth they had last season? I think you'll get a true flavor for what Schremp can do this year when he's the team's number one center.

True enough I suppose. He did get some first line PP time though on what is one of the most talented PP's in the OHL and he wasn't lacking in linemates (even if he didn't play with Perry). I guess it was more of the few games I saw him. He'd show a few flashes of puck skills, but all in all, he did not stand out. Even if he dominated one game of the handful I saw him play, I might then buy into his upside a bit more, but I just never saw him play a game that convinced me he could dominate.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Rabid Ranger said:

I agree 100%........ so people think that someone 5'11 is much stronger than a 5'10 player. The weight I can agree w/ a little bit but not totally. Someone 200lbs vs 190lbs there isn't a HUGE difference, but if its 210 vs 190 then there maybe a big difference. Look at players like Briere, theo fleury and many others under 5'9. It may be harder but the top smaller forwards excel and Schremp is one of them IMO.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

I really don't think he has a size issue. His frame is actually pretty good in terms of adding weight. He's been kind of porky most of his junior career, but he doesn't have a problem of being to slight. He's the same size as Mike Fisher was when he was drafted.

Of course, his frame and his size only become an issue if he starts using it. To date, he's really been more of a perimeter player, rather than a player who fights off checkers to create scoring chances.

Just Joshin'

Mar 11, 2004
I guess I would compair Schremp to an early Jeremey Roenick. They both had "questions" regarding their attitude at draft time and both have phenomenal offensive skills. Granted I don't know if Schremp will crack the 100pt mark but he still packs a strong offensive punch. His height doesn't concern me all that much, because he already has the offensive skills that will allow him to excel in the NHL. St Louis a good example, the height isn't there but look at what is there, points.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:

My apologies: "Schremp says he tipped the scales at the U.S. camp at around the 190 lb mark, his target playing weight, and that his 6’ height is all he’s expecting now. Obviously his goal is the same as everyone else’s in the organization, to play for the NHL team as soon as possible, but admittedly Schremp doesn’t know for certain if he’s ready."

You're right, he's way smaller than advertized.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just Joshin' said:
I guess I would compair Schremp to an early Jeremey Roenick. They both had "questions" regarding their attitude at draft time and both have phenomenal offensive skills. Granted I don't know if Schremp will crack the 100pt mark but he still packs a strong offensive punch. His height doesn't concern me all that much, because he already has the offensive skills that will allow him to excel in the NHL. St Louis a good example, the height isn't there but look at what is there, points.

In terms of their style of play, I don't think they could be much different.

Roenick was a FAR better skater and embraced the physical side of the game. He played with abandon and passion. He also made the NHL as a 18 year old after scoring 34 goals and 70 points in only 28 games for Hull. In comparison to St. Louis, Martin was also a much better skater and put up much better numbers.

Schremp just returned from the US Development Camp where he was less than impressive against his peers (by the own admission of Oilers Scouts). Now if he cracks the Oilers line-up this season, I'll be the first to tip my hat. But in terms of speed and phsyical play and progress, he and Roenick couldn't be further apart.

Schremp is really more of a Marc Savard type of player, although he's only shown about half the production Savard did at the same age. On that note, I'd like to see Schremp crack 100 points in the OHL before wondering whether he'll ever crack 100 points in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad