OT: RIP Kroppy -- 8 years to the day.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Been 8 years to the day that the Jets lost not just their number one fan, but for all my money, the #1 fan in sports :)

The memorial I posted at the time on my FB wall:

REQVIESCAT IN PACE
Len "Kroppy" Kropioski
b. 1918 July ??
d. 2016 September 14

This one's a real heartbreaker.

And I mean, a gray old man dying at the ripe age of 98, in a warm bed surrounded by his family? While all death is a loss, I'm hard pressed to imagine a death any less tragic.

But it's a heartbreaker all the same.

Kroppy was a superfan's superfan. Besides being an amazing supporter of amateur sports (at one point, sponsoring SIX amateur teams in his new home in Kenora) and providing equipment to any child who wanted to play but couldn't afford it, he was a die-hard Jets fan, going back to their WHA days.

Of course, it is during the 2011+ reincarnation of the team that he first endeared himself to a new generation. Always standing for the national anthem and giving a sharp salute in the end, as befitting a man from the Greatest Generation.

His earnest patriotism and obvious love of hockey caught the attention of the camera crew, and he became a fixture on the scoreboard, his salute as much a part of Jets home game experiences as the thundering "TRUE NORTH!" chant.

And indeed, for every Jets home game where health would permit, he would make the 2-3 hour trek from Kenora. Every game for years, with only a brief pause late in life.

Here's a man making so many hockey road trips that men half his age (read: me) get tired just thinking about it! But he did it.

Perhaps most importantly of all, he had (as MacLean's magazine described) "the optimism that every Jets fan needs".

And boy oh boy, was it needed through some pretty lean years. And we still need it now.

How great was his optimism?

At the ripe young age of 98 years and one month, he signed on for another five years of seasons tickets.

I can only hope, sad as his passing is, that his seats are now even better.

May he now begin to rest in peace.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Been 8 years to the day that the Jets lost not just their number one fan, but for all my money, the #1 fan in sports :)

The memorial I posted at the time on my FB wall:

REQVIESCAT IN PACE
Len "Kroppy" Kropioski
b. 1918 July ??
d. 2016 September 14

This one's a real heartbreaker.

And I mean, a gray old man dying at the ripe age of 98, in a warm bed surrounded by his family? While all death is a loss, I'm hard pressed to imagine a death any less tragic.

But it's a heartbreaker all the same.

Kroppy was a superfan's superfan. Besides being an amazing supporter of amateur sports (at one point, sponsoring SIX amateur teams in his new home in Kenora) and providing equipment to any child who wanted to play but couldn't afford it, he was a die-hard Jets fan, going back to their WHA days.

Of course, it is during the 2011+ reincarnation of the team that he first endeared himself to a new generation. Always standing for the national anthem and giving a sharp salute in the end, as befitting a man from the Greatest Generation.

His earnest patriotism and obvious love of hockey caught the attention of the camera crew, and he became a fixture on the scoreboard, his salute as much a part of Jets home game experiences as the thundering "TRUE NORTH!" chant.

And indeed, for every Jets home game where health would permit, he would make the 2-3 hour trek from Kenora. Every game for years, with only a brief pause late in life.

Here's a man making so many hockey road trips that men half his age (read: me) get tired just thinking about it! But he did it.

Perhaps most importantly of all, he had (as MacLean's magazine described) "the optimism that every Jets fan needs".

And boy oh boy, was it needed through some pretty lean years. And we still need it now.

How great was his optimism?

At the ripe young age of 98 years and one month, he signed on for another five years of seasons tickets.

I can only hope, sad as his passing is, that his seats are now even better.

May he now begin to rest in peace.
Thanks for the reminder. I can honestly say that his memory had slipped my mind for some time

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Doesn't feel like that was 8 years ago.

Kroppy definitely was the best fan. Miss him terribly.
This right here. 8 years? Where does the time go?

Unrelated and not to take away from the memory of Kroppy but I found out this week that the matriarch of the family that lived next door to us through my first 21 years of life in St. Boniface passed away at the age of 108 years young. One of the nicest people , I'd always be able to count on cookies and something to drink when I was out playing as a kid.

Some people are blessed with a long life and some with very short lives, a friends daughter also passed in the last couple weeks at 18.

Kroppy is watching the Jets up in heaven and cheering them on as we do down here in Hell, er I mean on Earth and sometimes I think we forget that it's just a game. We all can survive if we didn't have the Jets, or Bombers, or Goldeyes but it's harder to survive the loss of a loved one.

Make every day count and stay connected with those that mean the most to you. Tomorrow is never promised as the Gaudreau's and the hockey world very recently discovered. Cherish every moment.

RIP Kroppy. Forever in the hearts of HF and those of us who populate this forum.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1726374305796.png

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Doesn't feel like that was 8 years ago.

Kroppy definitely was the best fan. Miss him terribly.
I moved to section 103 shortly after he passed (he sat in 104). There's a plaque on the wall by the stairway we go down to our seats. I tap that plaque every time I go down those stairs. And yes, I rub Timothy Eaton's toe every time I go by there as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
True legend.

I am so glad he was alive to witness that phenomenal standing ovation he got after he returned from a health bout. Watching him wipe the tears from his eyes is something I will never forget.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
True legend.

I am so glad he was alive to witness that phenomenal standing ovation he got after he returned from a health bout. Watching him wipe the tears from his eyes is something I will never forget.

Right? It takes a *lot* to reduce a man of that generation -- especially one who served in some of the most vicious, grimy, utterly brutal armed conflicts of the century and *really saw some shit* -- to tears. I'm glad that one such case was him getting the love of a city and a fanbase.

Far too often we don't give people their flowers until they pass away, you know?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This right here. 8 years? Where does the time go?

Unrelated and not to take away from the memory of Kroppy but I found out this week that the matriarch of the family that lived next door to us through my first 21 years of life in St. Boniface passed away at the age of 108 years young. One of the nicest people , I'd always be able to count on cookies and something to drink when I was out playing as a kid.

Some people are blessed with a long life and some with very short lives, a friends daughter also passed in the last couple weeks at 18.

Kroppy is watching the Jets up in heaven and cheering them on as we do down here in Hell, er I mean on Earth and sometimes I think we forget that it's just a game. We all can survive if we didn't have the Jets, or Bombers, or Goldeyes but it's harder to survive the loss of a loved one.

Make every day count and stay connected with those that mean the most to you. Tomorrow is never promised as the Gaudreau's and the hockey world very recently discovered. Cherish every moment.

RIP Kroppy. Forever in the hearts of HF and those of us who populate this forum.

Beautifully said. Every day's battle is every day's gift, as they say, because waking up on the green side of the dirt is a lucky break and someday that lucky streak will come to an end, so let's make hay while we can. Tomorrow is never promised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad